Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Hi!

My coolant sensor is dust, so I need to replace it. I wanted to see what folks felt about the GW sensor. How reliable is it? ANy problems using it with the original, plastic expansion tank?

Thanks!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

SoquelDude wrote:
Hi!

My coolant sensor is dust, so I need to replace it. I wanted to see what folks felt about the GW sensor. How reliable is it? ANy problems using it with the original, plastic expansion tank?

Thanks!

I posted all good info about these sensors in this thread : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9863658

I buy the kit from GoWesty and for customers I install a made in USA sensor and a silicone O'ring.
For you, just wait for when the sender fails, maybe it'll last longer than for me.
I've had 2 chinese sensors fail shortly so I'm done with them. No problem to fit on a plastic tank (why would there be?).
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

I have the GW sensor and it has worked without issue for over a year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
I have the GW sensor and it has worked without issue for over a year.

Just to confirm, you're using this sensor on a plastic or aluminum tank? I was gonna stick with the plastic tank for now sine the GW aluminum tank is back-ordered.

https://gowesty.com/products/coolant-level-sensor-conversion-kit?_pos=1&_sid=b40d8e8a7&_ss=r
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

My recent new plastic tank lasted 13 months and cracked.

If your coolant reservoir is over on the right side of your engine, you may like SmallCar's aluminum tank.

I modded an old cracked original VW sensor and a NEW URO////Parts sensor. Pics.here.
The mod has only been tested a few weeks though.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
My recent new plastic tank lasted 13 months and cracked.

Lucky guy, ours went nine months.

Cracked right at the driver’s side front mounting point, and suspect yours might have, too.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

The brand of the tank matters if we want to understand data.

I've been mounting Febi tanks with great success the last few years.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If your coolant reservoir is over on the right side of your engine, you may like SmallCar's aluminum tank.

I looked at SCP's Vanagon Aluminum Coolant Bottle and saw that the sight glass is on the opposite side from where GW's aluminum tank's sight glass is. SCP has this note:

Quote:
When installed in the factory waterboxer location the sight glass will be not be easily viewed as it is positioned for Subaru powered vans.

My van has the Ej22 swap so I'll check to see where the expansion tank is. If it's in the old stock location, I'll wait for the GW tank to be in stock again. Thanks for the tip.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

OK, I did some troubleshooting today. I cleaned the sensor probes and electrical connector.

However, I noticed the expansion tank was 2/3 full. From all of the topics posted about the expansion tank, I was under the impression that the tank should always be full. So, I topped off the coolant in the tank and started the engine.

The level LED started blinking as before, so I'm convinced the sensor is bad. However, what would cause the drop in coolant level in the expansion tank. I saw no signs of a leak, and I can't believe a bad sensor could cause this. DO I need to bleed the coolant lines?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Pull the plug off the sensor.
Put a jumper across the plug (from socket to socket).

Does the LED stop blinking?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Pull the plug off the sensor.
Put a jumper across the plug (from socket to socket).

Does the LED stop blinking?

Sorry for the delay. I didn't have alligator clips small enough so I just ran a paper clip across the connector leads, and I had to hoodwink a neighbor to help. Anyway, the blinking continued after applying the jumper. Could the coolant thermostat be causing the problem?

BTW, I am planning on bleeding the coolant system since I don't like the fact that the expansion tank was not full. I did top it off before trying the jumper test, but that didn't stop the LED from blinking.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

If the paper clip doesn't trigger the light to NOT come on, then it's an instrument cluster printed circuit issue or a break in the wiring.
Check the ground wire at the connector is actually grounded, then
with the jumper on, just check continuity on the opposite end of the wiring harness dashboard side to ground. That'll take care of the harness. Once that is good, you're onto the next step...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

I recall you have to cycle the key once the led is flashing. So with the switch harness jumped, be sure to have the key in the off position.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I recall you have to cycle the key once the led is flashing. So with the switch harness jumped, be sure to have the key in the off position.

Yup, did that. That was why I had to hoodwink a neighbor to help me.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
...or a break in the wiring...

This is what caused my to flash all the time. As I recall it was somewhere that had some chafing at a bend possibly beneath the coil. Easy enough to check.

I'm glad mine was just the wiring as the sensor and tank are original and it sounds like replacements are iffy.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
If the paper clip doesn't trigger the light to NOT come on, then it's an instrument cluster printed circuit issue or a break in the wiring.

It did turn out to be wire damage on the harness for the level sensor. Looks like rats gnawed at it. I fixed that and the LED works as it should but the gauge still doesn't register a temp. I ordered some under-the-hood rat repellent devices that I'll attach to the underside of the engine lid. The gauge issue may be beyond my pay scale however.

Thanks for the tips.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

SoquelDude wrote:
I ordered some under-the-hood rat repellent devices that I'll attach to the underside of the engine lid.

Get the 5-gal bucket-type traps for mice.
I'm not sure if they work for rats.

SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: GW Coolant Level Sensor vs Aftermarket Coolant Level Sensor Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Get the 5-gal bucket-type traps for mice.
I'm not sure if they work for rats.

We don't have mice out where the van is, just their bigger cousins. My plan is to get the sensors inside the engine compartment and then spray the perimeter of the parking spot down with peppermint oil. Then, I'll work on putting steel wool in the breather vents for the battery compartments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: