Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another headlight rebuild question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Another headlight rebuild question Reply with quote

None of the current threads I was able to find addressed my issue.

For 1, the grommet that holds the adjusting tab in place was rotted and now gone. I cant find a replacement or suitable holder to allow adjustment of the sealed beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next is that I am re using the clips I removed, mostly. I cant get any of the stock clips to work. . What am I doing wrong here??

To be clear, these are the clips that hold the sealed beam in.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another headlight rebuild question Reply with quote

There are a few great threads that detail your questions- but you do have to search- and also in the bugs sections. I bet there are five in the split bus FAQ section alone- including this one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372189

Your grommet should not be there- it requires a short section of tubing. I've recommended buying a foot of a couple different sizes of vac or fuel line at your local hardware store- then cutting short sections and finding the one that fits. The tube need only slide into the hole- the clip enlarges it and holds it in place.

The spring clips are installed under the aiming ring short end first, with the bend down toward the headlight retaining ring- then with a slight pivot for tension- the long end is tucked under the aiming ring. Five clips will hold the sealed beam just fine.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another headlight rebuild question Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
There are a few great threads that detail your questions- but you do have to search- and also in the bugs sections. I bet there are five in the split bus FAQ section alone- including this one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372189

Your grommet should not be there- it requires a short section of tubing. I've recommended buying a foot of a couple different sizes of vac or fuel line at your local hardware store- then cutting short sections and finding the one that fits. The tube need only slide into the hole- the clip enlarges it and holds it in place.

The spring clips are installed under the aiming ring short end first, with the bend down toward the headlight retaining ring- then with a slight pivot for tension- the long end is tucked under the aiming ring. Five clips will hold the sealed beam just fine.

That's very helpful actually. Thanks!!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: