Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early lowlight exterior mirrors
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

I learned recently that my pre Oct '56 did not come with mirrors from the factory, so those ubiquitous swan neck mirrors are not correct for my car.
My car had mirrors mounted on both sides, very near the A pillar and with external sheet metal screws I assume as the holes are very small.
So, you early Ghia guys, what are you using for mirrors on your cars? Pictures would help.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Do you have photos of what you have?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Do you have photos of what you have?

No mirrors on it, just these holes on both sides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

If I could do it all over again I wouldave left the outside mirrors off, IMHO it makes the car look cleaner.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
If I could do it all over again I wouldave left the outside mirrors off, IMHO it makes the car look cleaner.

I've considered that,especially after looking at the less then elegant period choices out there. I wonder if it's legal though to have no exterior mirror?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
lonotch wrote:

I've considered that,especially after looking at the less then elegant period choices out there. I wonder if it's legal though to have no exterior mirror?

By law you need a drivers outside mirror only but I’d take the chance at least until I got a ticket for it.

Just weld and fill up the holes you have on the fenders now, they can always be installed at a later time.

German Folks
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

I found these pics (Oct. 55) in Aerosilvers gallery.

You probably could mount a mirror in a non permanent manner. Rare earth magnets or 2 sided 3M tape.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

The mirrors on mine are Lucas mirrors (British made), I've seen them fitted on a lot of early Ghia's.
I guess you need to find a mirror you like,as there was no specific mirror fitted in 56/57,whatever the dealer/customer supplied.
The chances of it lining up with your existing holes, and the mirror being in the right place to see are slim I would say, you may have to repaint that area?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
The mirrors on mine are Lucas mirrors (British made), I've seen them fitted on a lot of early Ghia's.
I guess you need to find a mirror you like,as there was no specific mirror fitted in 56/57,whatever the dealer/customer supplied.
The chances of it lining up with your existing holes, and the mirror being in the right place to see are slim I would say, you may have to repaint that area?

What you say makes sense. I imagine what you put on there would be whatever was broadly available in your country, so in the U.K. The Lucas mirror makes sense,Germans may have used Talbots, Americans a GM or Ford mirror.
I've got my eye on several at this point none of which are too pleasing to look at, but leaving it naked seems like a bad idea safety wise and not true to this car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Safety wise with the hole locations you have on the passenger side I don’t see that mirror having any use with how low the holes are and the A pillar being in the way.

German Folks
56GoldeGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

The early Ghia's came without mirrors. A lot of early Ghia's used the Talbot mirrors or the early Porsche 356 mirrors.
I went for the clean look and kept the car as it came from the factory.

udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

56GoldeGhia wrote:
The early Ghia's came without mirrors. A lot of early Ghia's used the Talbot mirrors or the early Porsche 356 mirrors.

Hi rinie. I wann to sign in you at this list. It is ok for you?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699384&start=80
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

56GoldeGhia wrote:

I've looked at a lot of current and period photos of early lowlights and have not come across one yet with a Talbot mirror, which I find odd since those were sometimes used on Porsches and were common in European sports cars.
I have seen quite a few with Lucas mirrors, period US car mirrors and many retrofitted with later swan necks.
I do like the no mirror look and might go with that.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Looky looky
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
Looky looky
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Hi Udo,
Believe me I spent quite a bit of time looking at that thread. I still did not see one with a Talbot mirror. I've got some laying around and they don't seem to work, as in finding a position where they would be usable.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Talbot style mirror, bit further down the wing though..

When one mirror just isn't enough!

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:

Those are probably the Ghia's that suffer with severe electrical gremlins........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Most of the talbot mirrors i saw was in the middle of tyre as shown by the pics of aerosilver. Some a little bit more to the headlight some a little bit more to the driver. Mount your mirrors there where you can see something in it. Funny are swanneck mirrors at the same position at passanger side. You cant see something in it Cool
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowlight exterior mirrors Reply with quote

Thanks for the Talbot pictures. Confirms my decision not to use them!
I'm still trying to find something that would work with the current holes, but so far no luck. They were obviously attached with external sheet metal screws and would have had to lean back to clears the door when opened, sort of like a swan neck.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: