Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hesitation Blues - FIXED!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

2.5L GW with not a single problem after 60k+ miles.

jberger wrote:
I guess I misread your initial description.

A bog off idle can be a mixture issue. On modified engines especially. At idle the FI is bopping along nicely. Open the throttle and the O2 feedback takes a few moments to catch up with what it's seeing. If your initial AFM baseline is not rich enough then that first few moments will be effected by it. I have worked with quite a few modified Digifant engines that needed AFM adjustment to run correctly just off idle.

J

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

jberger wrote:

A bog off idle can be a mixture issue. On modified engines especially. At idle the FI is bopping along nicely. Open the throttle and the O2 feedback takes a few moments to catch up with what it's seeing. If your initial AFM baseline is not rich enough then that first few moments will be effected by it. I have worked with quite a few modified Digifant engines that needed AFM adjustment to run correctly just off idle.

J

Well, you’ve got one now...
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Very Happy

jberger wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

jberger wrote:

J

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

To me, little things failing are fine, no way around it, these vehicles are old, them's gonna' happen. The engine itself from GW has been flawless. No leaks or failures with anything they supplied with the engine.

Syncronoid wrote:
Very Happy

jberger wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

jberger wrote:

J

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Did you try that new fuel pump yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Update - Fixed!!

So, I replaced the "new" GW fuel injectors that had less than 800 miles on them with my old ones that I had refurbed at Mr. Injector AND got the balls to dive into replacing the fuel pump (thanks tjet). I was a bit nervous working on the fuel line that came from the tank. I don't have all the fancy clamps, but made some for when I changed out my rear heater core and they were fine for the fuel lines.

While changing out the injectors, I damaged the crush washer it the T-piece on the fuel lines on the top of the engine, but a day later I had sourced some annealed copper washers that did the trick (M4 copper washers(burrs)) at ACE Hardware.

I warmed it up to neighborhood running temp (190's) and drove her around. No hesitation! Just saved me hours of travel time and hundreds of $$ from taking it over to Buslab. Once again, feeling even more empowered than before.

Going to send the GW injectors to Mr. Injector to have checked out and keep as spares if OK.

Thanks for all the advice.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Awesome, Congrats!

Geez, 800 miles is a pretty sad indicator, though. I'd return them.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Right on Cool My engine had similar symptoms when my fuel pump died driving cross country a couple of years ago (sluggish in West Virginia, then almost dead in Ohio). I could still drive it slow. I installed a ford truck pump thanks to danfromsyr & Jake de Villiers. I need to get the correct Bosch as a spare (ford pump still installed)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664204&highlight=
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

A little bird told me that a Samba member is offering upgraded (read actual atomization) injectors for the stock digifant system... I have a set on the way to me. He will start a thread shortly I'm sure. Maybe wait for that notice.

J
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Does their first name start with "M"? Wink

jberger wrote:
A little bird told me that a Samba member is offering upgraded (read actual atomization) injectors for the stock digifant system... I have a set on the way to me. He will start a thread shortly I'm sure. Maybe wait for that notice.

J

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Does their first name start with "M"? Wink

jberger wrote:

J

SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I replaced the "new" GW fuel injectors that had less than 800 miles on them with my old ones that I had refurbed at Mr. Injector AND got the balls to dive into replacing the fuel pump

So you don’t know if it was the fuel pump or injectors that was causing your hesitation?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

^^^ That’s how I read it. Science would suggest that the original fuel pump be installed as a test.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't get what the fix actually was...

Fuel injectors? (not likely in my estimation)
or
Fuel pump?

Me personally - I replace one item at a time during troubleshooting so I know what was wrong.

Clarity would be very helpful here.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

I also lean towards the pump.

Then again I thought it could be a catalytic, or ISIS, so never mind... Wink

— Colin Chapman
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

me I blame his fuel pump that did the trick.
so much so that in my next tear down and rebuild I'll be installing twin fuel pumps with an A or B switch in the Pass seat pedestal. having issues with a stutter or low power, flip the switch and see if it behaves better.

when I'm on a looooong travel day I don't want to add in changing a fuel pump..
which consequently I've personally done to numerous vans on numerous trips.
for some record. (mine & My travel friends - Scott, Aaron, Rob)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

J

Man, Mr. Injector should be receiving my injectors today to rebuild; while I'm sure I'll be happy with the results, this sounds like a fascinating possibility.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
me I blame his fuel pump that did the trick.
so much so that in my next tear down and rebuild I'll be installing twin fuel pumps with an A or B switch in the Pass seat pedestal. having issues with a stutter or low power, flip the switch and see if it behaves better.

when I'm on a looooong travel day I don't want to add in changing a fuel pump..
which consequently I've personally done to numerous vans on numerous trips.
for some record. (mine & My travel friends - Scott, Aaron, Rob)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You may be onto something Uge, wouldn't that double the horsepower? Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

You better hope the check valves are good in both those pumps, or else you'd be introducing a potential pressure loss into the system.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

So, I received the injectors back from Bill at Mr. Injector, the ones I had removed from the van that were brand new from GW. 3 of them checked out fine, but one had failed electrical windings and low electrical resistance. Bill said that causes the electrical build up in the winding to be slow to build enough magnetism to pull the armature open causing lower flow. Could this single injector cause the hesitation problems I experienced? The van cruised fine once the RPM's came up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: