Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this roof rack a VW original?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstzortzis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

So I 've been wanting to buy this roof rack for my bug and I still don't know if it is an original VW one? Does anybody have any info about this. The seller does not know anything about it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Yes it is, there should be a tiny VW emblem stamped into it as well. I have a few of those racks.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Here's the part # sticker that's on the identical one that I have.

I noticed that mine has a different style clamp....here's a photo of mine....

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

The rack in question is a first generation VW steel rack- with the turnbuckle clamps and cargo strap loops. It appears in accessory catalogs dating back to about '61 if I recall. I have 3- 2 of which are the raised height for sunroof models.

Bob yours was used from about '63 on, but your foil label tells me it's even later than that (but it's only the label that gives it away). It's still absolutely correct for your gorgeous '65. Smile

I recently and for the first time had that rack powder coated just to see it I like it. It came out really nice in my opinion and is a very light gray with just a hint of metallic flake- to give an appearance of fresh galvanized finish. Here it sits on the car before I drank enough beer to knowingly scratch the bars during clamp reinstallation.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
The rack in question is a first generation VW steel rack- with the turnbuckle clamps and cargo strap loops. It appears in accessory catalogs dating back to about '61 if I recall. I have 3- 2 of which are the raised height for sunroof models.

Bob yours was used from about '63 on, but your foil label tells me it's even later than that (but it's only the label that gives it away). It's still absolutely correct for your gorgeous '65. Smile

I recently and for the first time had that rack powder coated just to see it I like it. It came out really nice in my opinion and is a very light gray with just a hint of metallic flake- to give an appearance of fresh galvanized finish. Here it sits on the car before I drank enough beer to knowingly scratch the bars during clamp reinstallation.

One problem with your photograph is the rack is obscured by all the nearby eye candy. Wink Two neato looking VWs, thanks for sharing, oh and might I add, nice rack.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Be aware that while it’s correct the racks with the bars that go side to side like that make an ungodly loud howling noise starting at about 20-25mph. Had one come with a car and the damn thing sounded like a jet engine was on the roof. Made it about 3/4 of a mile down the road before I turned around to take it off. Still sitting in my shed collecting dust. I have one of the Empi reproductions and it doesn’t make that kind of noise at all.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Hey Bradford, am I mistaken, or is your rack a lot higher than mine? Yours seems like it would work much better with a sunroof (which I have).

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw the note about the raised height version.

Last edited by rcroane on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Thanks Bluebus !

Sharp is right about the noise. The story about my exact rack is it came on a '63 I bought. I had left a note on the then nice gulf blue car about 28 years ago. The owner's son called 19 years ago and said he wants to sell his dad's car- but it had trans problems. The car was hit hard and dad later passed from unrelated cause. Since junior didn't want the wrecked car he called me. He claimed at 30-35 mph the car would emit a horrible howl. I was told come get it for $200. I did, towed it home, got it running. Sure enough, howl at 35. I reached out and grabbed the rack and changed the harmonics- howl went away. I stripped the pop outs and the rack and resold the now running car to an autobody student for $250.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Be aware that while it’s correct the racks with the bars that go side to side like that make an ungodly loud howling noise starting at about 20-25mph. Had one come with a car and the damn thing sounded like a jet engine was on the roof. Made it about 3/4 of a mile down the road before I turned around to take it off. Still sitting in my shed collecting dust. I have one of the Empi reproductions and it doesn’t make that kind of noise at all.

I don’t have that noise at all with mine on my ‘65, BUT I have an external visor on the car which I’m sure upsets the air going over the rack and it is lowered with the nose down more than the rear, also upsetting the air flow over the car.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

A previous owner who was handy with plexiglas created this air dam attached to the front of the rack on my car. There is no roar or howl. I imagine it must upset the designed air flow, but so far I haven't experienced any engine overheating.

The dark line along the bottom of the dam is a fuel line cut lengthwise and slipped onto the bottom of the plexiglas to prevent the roof paint from getting scratched by the panel flexing from the wind.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

... did not know the taller ones were for ragtops - here's my '60 euro

this one's also stamped VW

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

OK...I know this comment might generate a little "hating" amongst the accessory-obsessive folks out there, especially in regards to all the roof racks atop every other VW on display at every show in the past 15 years or so! It's almost borderline obsessive, and NOT how it was. Seriously -- These things were VERY RARELY EVER seen on the tops of VW's back in the day, and are more of an attempt to glorify a "cool period correct" thingamabob that's more in style today than it ever was in the contemporary 1950's-1970's ACVW time period. Just sayin'....p.s. If you honestly and truly felt a need for rooftop storage in, say...1966, you'd go to Sears - Roebuck's, and get a universal tent-type unit. "Originality" did not matter in those days!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

No hate here, but we all love our cars in our own different ways. I bought my Beetle with the roof rack on it, so I'll leave it on, and it will be up to the next owner to remove it if they want to.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
epulvere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Dredging up an old thread...
Does anyone know where to get the turnbuckles for these? I snapped the bolt off of mine in the turnbuckle.
stembridge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Thanks for resurrecting this thread - it answers the same question for me, as my '63 came with this same rack (short height). Mine is bowed across the middle, though. Hopefully I can straighten it out.

es
Philippians 1:6 (NKJV) …being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
ThorpS18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

epulvere wrote:
Dredging up an old thread...
Does anyone know where to get the turnbuckles for these? I snapped the bolt off of mine in the turnbuckle.

This might be similar:
https://www2.cip1.com/c13-15-2013/
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

stembridge wrote:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread - it answers the same question for me, as my '63 came with this same rack (short height). Mine is bowed across the middle, though. Hopefully I can straighten it out.

es

That might have been done deliberately to stop the howling.
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

this one's also stamped VW
[/quote]

I have one that looks like this (with teak slats). I've always wondered if it was an official VW accessory or not? Where is the VW stamp typically located on this version? What year(s) what this version offered/sold?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

One can just install a good quality rubber bungee down the center of the rack front to back. Wend the bungee so the rubber touches each horizontal tube that run side to side. That will dampen out the howl of the rack.
liflx_s75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this roof rack a VW original? Reply with quote

Finally found a rack for my beetle. It had one like this for its first 12 years, and was a dealer accessory. I removed it as a naive teen, and it got lost over the years (it was rusty).

After I get the engine back in I will be listening for noise! Used gas line as cushions. And rubber on the clamp. The rack is in remarkably good condition. Wonder it’s for a sunroof, it seems high.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: