Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Searching for my 1st Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

I am looking for my 1st Thing I got in 1976, would love to get it back as my Dad and I spent a lot of time working on it together. Vin # is 1833014731. Thank you for any help. I tried DMV but was told they no longer will send a letter to a registered owner with your info.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

I too am looking for my THING which I sold many years ago. VIN # is 1832840012.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

The last thing I would want is for my first thing to show back up in my life for some reason.. High miles, dinged up pretty good, with lots of rust. Good memories though as it was my only car for most of the dozen years I owned it. Best wishes to the guy who bought it to restore it.

Very happy that my present Thing is rust free, mostly straight, and mechanically pretty decent, and I can drive it daily instead of working on it for years on end.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

In my case, (and probably oldthingguy's case) my Thing was finished, rust free and "Thing Class" 1st place winner many times.
I had restored it when I was stationed in Germany in the 80's. When I sold it in 1994, I figured that I would move on to something else, but was never able to wrap myself around a vehicle as I did with that Thing.
I would just like to know if it still alive and well.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

Oldthingguy: I looked in the Thing Registry and it is not listed. http://vwthingregistry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Registry-Public-List-June-18-CORRECTED.pdf

1833014733 is the closest numerically listed in the Registry, a yellow car in Southern California.

77kafer: sorry nothing close for you.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

Thanks Shoyrtt, I have also been checking the Thing Registry. The folks at the registry have a description of how it looked when I had it and also a photo of it in case it shows up.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

You need to know someone at the police or an insurance company to run the license plate for you and get the contact info.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for my 1st Thing Reply with quote

74thing, if you don't know the license plate, you can't have someone "run" the plate # for you to get the info.
In all actuality, you can't give the VIN # to someone and expect results. The vin for an early VW does not have enough numbers in it, with the current VIN # you could go to Carfax and get some info from the fox and have a starting point such as when and where it was last inspected or registered, the old vins are not in the system. Granted a currently registered older VW VIN will be in a state DMV system, but if you are in 1 state, there are 49 others that it will not automatically pop up in. I know this because my son just retired a year ago after 23.5 years with NYPD.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: