Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring woes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Wiring woes Reply with quote

I’ve been searching to no avail so here it goes. I have a 1971 campmobile. Recently started to notice battery drain. Thought it was just a bad battery, but it tested (at the auto parts store) just fine. Key in ignition accessory’s work, turn ignition on and nothing. Battery reads 13.5. Took negative cable off to test each circuit for draw. Multimeter places between negative terminal on battery and negative cable and it reads 13.5! Started pulling fuses from right to left and these are the results from negative post to negative cable:

Pulling fuse #

1- 13.5
2- 13.5
3- 13.5
4- 12.35 (draw)
5- .35 (huge draw)
6- .35
7- .35
8- .35
9- .31
10- .44
11- .41
12- .35

I am stumped as to what could be making such a gigantic draw. Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have checked all switches and lights for bad connections.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Welcome,
What range was your meter set to while taking those readings?
Did you try removing all the fuses at once and testing for a draw?
What happens if you disconnect the battery overnight?, still dead in the morning?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

My meter was set at 20v same as when I checked the battery pos to negative. With all fuses removed the meter still reads .45 from neg post to ground cable

I’ll test the battery again in the morning to see if it’s viable.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Fuse #5 from which end? From the left, it's a headlight fuse. From the right, it'a the dome light.

By definition, you will read battery voltage from a disconnected ground cable to ground. What is more important is what the CURRENT reading is. Set your meter on the 10 amp scale, then connect it from battery negative to ground, with the ground cable disconnected. Make sure everything in the bus is switched off. Don't forget the dome light! Ideally, the meter will read zero (adjust the meter to smaller current ranges as needed). If not, start pulling fuses until you find the draw. Don't forget the stereo - it has a "keep alive" circuit that draws a small amount of power. If you have a clock, it does too.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Well this is fun! With all fuses in place when I turn on the headlights, one comes on. Pull the high beam lever and that light turns off and the other pops on. To make it better...I tried pulling the fuse that does the headlights (5) and they stay on. Just to double check I pulled #5 from the other side just to make sure, and the light stayed on then too
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

No wonder you have a parasitic current draw - sounds like someone, sometime "fixed up" your wiring for you. Time to download the schematic from Technical, print and laminate it Then, checklist style, go through the whole bus wiring and sort it all out. Mark off each circuit on the laminated schematic with an erasable marker as you check it. When your schematic is nothing but marks, you're done, and all should work.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
It's not telling you what you want to know. What you want to measure is current, not voltage. Does your meter have a current range (preferably 10 amps)? If so, use the exact same hookup (meter in series with the negative cable.) DO NOT turn on anything. Don't even think of turning the key on. In fact, make sure the front dome light switch is set to the middle (disabled) position, so that it doesn't light up when you open the door.

Now note the reading on your meter. If it's very low, try a lower range. You should read between zero (no stereo) and 0.1 amp (stereo). If you have a stereo, disconnect the "keep alive" full time +12 volt wire (yeah, you'll lose all your settings, but that's life...) Does the meter read zero? No? Start pulling fuses one at a time until the current goes to zero. Whatever is hooked to that fuse needs to be checked (see the schematic in your manual / site Technical section.)

If you still have current flow with all the fuses removed, then pull the big red hot wire going to the voltage regulator, and if you have an alternator, the big red wire going to it (not so easy...)

If that doesn't get it, then you have something strange and non-stock in your wiring. Look for things that look 'modified' or non-stock (they tend to stand out...)

If you don't have a suitable meter, a dome light bulb will work pretty well in it's place.

[Edit: wow - I'm a slow typer...]

A test light between the ground cable and ground will also work.

Pulling the fuses will have no effect on the Unfused wires. You need to test the Unfused wires, by pulling the wires.

1971 VW Bus Owner's Manual
link
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/71bus.php
Note fuses are numbered Left to Right
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Open the wiring diagram below. Note: the wires on the fuse box. The wires on the top are fused. The wires on the bottom are unfused.
So pulling the fuses will have no effect, if the draw is on one of the unfused wires. You would need to disconnect the unfused wire.
link
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

What is the voltage between the 12+ lug on the starter and the engine block both with the key in the "OFF" position and in the "START" position?

You can't really read "draw" with a high impedance meter, a cheap old low impedance analog meter is the way to go or you need to use an amp setting instead of the volt setting on a digital. A 12v test light is sometimes the easiest way to go.

From what you have posted so far, it don't see evidence of a draw at all, maybe you have a bad ground strap on the engine or a dead solenoid?
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Thank you! I’m going to go get a better multimeter with amp setting and try that out and see what I come up with. This was a daily driver for months with zero electrical issues.
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

My battery dropped .25v overnight not plugged into anything. My funky light situation from last night magically changed. As soon as my battery was plugged back in my taillights were on. The light pull switch was pushed all the way in. I pulled it out and my passenger side light worked, including high beam, but drivers side no light. Pushed the light switch back all the way in and they (taillights and front passenger light) turn off as they should. I think I have a gremlin in the light switch at the very least.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

A fully charged lead acid battery will have a resting voltage of 12.7v or so.

That your lights are acting differently at different times indicates corrosion/poor connections, including bad grounds, to me.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Devotion wrote:
My battery dropped .25v overnight not plugged into anything. My funky light situation from last night magically changed. As soon as my battery was plugged back in my taillights were on. The light pull switch was pushed all the way in. I pulled it out and my passenger side light worked, including high beam, but drivers side no light. Pushed the light switch back all the way in and they (taillights and front passenger light) turn off as they should. I think I have a gremlin in the light switch at the very least.

See if the Headlight switch popped apart. If it did, pop it back together and put a plastic tie wrap around it.

Check the Headlight switch dimmer Rheostat.
Tcash wrote:
Link
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7466997#7466997]Headlight Switch Dimmer Rheostat[/url]

When the Rheostat Spring comes apart. The little bits of spring floating around in the switch can cause all kinds of strange headlight, park light and dash light problems.

Found these pix.

This one came apart.

Good luck
Tcash
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Huge help! Thank you. I got my new multimeter and between negative terminal and ground wire on the 10 amp setting its reading just .02
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

0.02 amps?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

With the key on you would have a draw on fuses #1-3 and with the door open you would have a draw on fuse #4, which is what your initial test was likely showing. I am counting the fuses from the right end.

As I said, I don't think your problem is a draw, but a problem with wiring connections, including grounds.
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Sounds correct. I had some nasty grounds in the rear lights. I’m going through everything I can get to and cleaning it all up. New connectors as needed. Still no starting. I’m going to try the screwdriver across the starter trick to see where that leads me
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

20 milliamps sounds like a radio keep alive.

My head was swimming trying to follow this. The only way you would have voltage of any significant amount between the battery negative post and ground is if there is corrosion in the ground strap. If the ground strap is good that should read almost zero volts across it.

On the sable wagon we recently had a high quality six month old battery go bad on one cell and it took me several months to determine that it was the battery and not an intermittent parasitic drain. That ammeter you bought will only handle a small amount of current - turning the bus on, or trying to start it will damage the meter. 10 amps isn't much. Buy extra meter fuses if it is fused. Fry's has them out here.

I would also have the battery tested. I went out to the 2004 Sable wagon the other night at 11pm and the voltage between battery posts was 12.45 volts - completely normal, car had been starting fine all week. I was trying to find what I thought was a parasitic drain because the battery kept dying once in a while over several days of sitting. Happened to have the positive cable off when testing voltage, and was too lazy to put it back on at 11pm. Came out the next morning and said, WTF might as well check it again, cable is off and I can see if it dropped last night (usually it doesn't drop except randomly but it was a good test since nothing was connected to it). 10.45 volts. Went and got another meter. 10.45 volts. Went to a 3rd meter and it was the same. Said, I must not be awake yet, put the cable on and the engine turned over slowly and the lights were way dim. I am thinking, "Can't be right - its only six months old and has been treated well." Took it to the place I got it, they threw their capacitance based battery checker on it - one cell bad. Wasn't parasitic at all - was an intermittently bad battery. The one before it lasted 7 years.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Pop the light bulb out of the dome light, disconnect the Radio +hot wires, disconnect the clock if you have one and anything that would stay on with the key off, and Retest.
Devotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

She’s alive again! Thank you all for the help. Still not sure I understand exactly what happened. Zero amp draw now, battery seems to be good. I did find that the dome light had 3 wires running to it. Only two were being used, just not the correct two! Also found that the added on light in the cabin from PO was shorting off and on I believe. There was also a hot wire going towards the back of the bus inside that was just tucked up into the ceiling, totally exposed. Capped that off she fired right up. Front lights seem to be good except for no low beam on one. Thank you all that took the time to help! I learned a lot.

[/img]
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring woes Reply with quote

Don't get to exited. You may have solved the parasitic drain on the battery. But you still have a starter gremlin.

Devotion wrote:
Key in ignition accessory’s work, turn ignition on and nothing. Battery reads 13.5.

The 13.5 volts tells me the battery is fully charged. When you turned the key to the 3rd cranking position the starter should have cranked.

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE
1. Disconnect your battery ground terminal.
2. Clean Battery post.
3. Clean connections on both ends of the Battery Cables.
4. Clean the Ground Strap connections. Ground strap runs from the transmission to the frame.
5. Make sure the starter bolts are tight. Starter bolts are what grounds the starter.
6. Clean the connections on the Starter.

If it ever won't crank again. Run these test.
Jump Starter
Tcash wrote:
To link to copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7466741#7466741]Jump Starter[/url]

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
E-brake on
Wheels chocked
Shifter in neutral

Battery voltage should be around 12.6 volts fully charged.
1. Disconnect your battery ground terminal.
2. Clean Battery post.
3. Clean connections on both ends of the Battery Cables.
4. Clean the connections on the Starter.
5. Make sure the starter bolts are tight. Starter bolts are what grounds the starter.
6. Clean the Ground Strap that runs from the transmission to the frame connections.

JUMP STARTER SOLENOID
Starter Cranks, Malfunction is In Ignition Circuit.
Starter does Not Crank, Malfunction is in Starter or Solenoid.
Thanks to JerryMCarter1

JUMP STARTER MOTOR
Jump the big Solenoid terminal to the Starter motor terminal with a screwdriver.
Starter Cranks, the Malfunction lies In the Solenoid.
Starter does not Cranks, the Malfunction lies In the Starter.

HAMMER TRICK
Give the starter motor a whack (not the solenoid) with a Hammer in the area of the big screws on the side.
Then try and crank it with the key.
If the starter works. the starter brushes are bad and the starter needs replacing.

IGNITION CIRCUIT TESTING
Tcash wrote:
To link to this post
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7601122#7601122]Ignition switch testing , voltage drop test[/url]

Voltage drop testing ignition switch.

Test #1
Ignition on, position:
(Red) test lead to terminal 30, (Black) test lead to terminal 15
= Less than >0.5 volt switch is good
= Between 0.5v-1v is marginal
= More than <1 volt switch is bad

Test #2
Starting, position:
(Red) test lead to terminal 30, (Black) test lead to terminal 50
= Less than >0.5 volt switch is good
= Between 0.5v-1v is marginal
= More than <1 volt switch is bad

A Voltage Drop, test the components under load.

An ohm meter generally uses a 9v battery to power the circuit. Which puts out about 18 mA across the component being tested. Which is not enough Amps (current) to cause problems in many cases.

Hope it helps
Tcash

Here is a good article.
Electrical Automotive Troubleshooting

TEST IGNITION WIRES AND CONNECTORS
Find the Wiring diagram for your vehicle.
T2 Wiring Diagrams
Clean and Ohm test every connection on the Red/white wire from the Starter to the Ignition switch.
Clean and Ohm test every connection on the Red/black wire from the Ignition switch to the Starter.
Example: 1972 Starter Circuit

OHM TESTING STARTER SOLENOID

HOW TO FIX A STICKY SOLENOID
SGKent wrote:
To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581254&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]How to fix a sticky starter FAQ[/url]

How many threads exist here where the starter has failed? We often see several a day. This post is to help those of you who are struggling to fix yours.

The problems with bad starters in VW buses in my experience fall into 3 categories (A) bad or low battery (B) bad ignition switch (C) sticky solenoid.

I've posted this photo many times trying to help but it doesn't appear to be enough. The starter in the photo is one I rebuilt. :

starter test with basic tools:

So let's explore. The battery provides 12V +/- to the starter. To test use a volt meter when the key is turned to start to be sure the voltage is good or take the battery in to be tested with one of these. You can get them fairly cheap used or I believe HF has them too.

photo from popularmechanics

12V + is provided on the plus side by the heavy cable running from the battery to the starter. Those go bad too internally sometimes from battery acid or arcing. The ground side goes into the bus frame and then from the frame to the engine through the ground strap on the nose of the trans. Those straps get corrosion where they attach and that can cause a clutch cable to stretch and break as it becomes the replacement ground strap as far as the electrons are concerned. Since it wasn't built to handle heavy electricity it gets hot and stretches.

Here is a wiring schematic. You'll see the battery cable attach to the solenoid then run forward. The other red wire coming back to pin 50 is from the ignition switch.

starter wiring:

When the key is turned it provides power to the solenoid which causes it to pull in. When it does so it pulls the starter teeth into the flywheel and also pushes a copper bar into the studs the wires attach to, completeing the circuit for the electricity to the starter motor to which it is attached. Here is a photo from online (bmwmotorcycletech) of a similar solenoid taken apart. You can see the copper bar and studs. Notice that it is peened on and not designed to be further disassembled. Some older ones had a nut here but the later ones are peened on permanently.

This is what a NOS one and/or replacement look like

This is what they look like when they have been used for awhile. Even with protection, dirt and dust get inside where the plunger rides. Heat from the exhaust and engine also cook the grease inside causing the plunger to stick and gall. Moisture causes rust. I've drawn an arrow where they need to be cleaned - all the way around and inside - but you can't get inside although a cleaner like WD-40 or electronic tuner cleaner can.

Here is a picture of one that failed and came apart - from Samba gallery. NOTE: some solenoids are designed to fall apart this way. The ring at the end tells me this may not be the correct solenoid for a Bosch starter. Further investigation would be warranted in this case. :

How to fix:

Remove the battery cables. Use this opportunity to clean them.

Remove the starter. Mark where the wires go or take a picture

Remove the two screws on the end holding the solenoid on. If you have a new solenoid use it. If not clean the old solenoid.

drawing from Autozone online:

To clean, run WD 40 or electronic tuner cleaner into the area where the plunger goes into the well / plunger tube. Wash out and wipe down as much of the dirt as you can. WARNING: WHEN YOU SPRAY THE PLUNGER HOLD IT DOWNWARDS SO THE CLEANER FLUID RUNS OUT AND SO YOU DON'T FILL THE CAP WITH A FLAMMABLE CLEANER.

If you want to be brave, unsolder the cap and clean the copper bar, if not just leave alone as this area is not normally the problem until the solenoid is worn out and the bar eaten away which if so you need a new solenoid. If you pull the cap off use white cloth tape to seal it again. IF YOU PULL THE CAP OFF OR THE STARTER APART any further, be sure to mark the parts so you can put them back in the same position. I use an electric carbide tipped engraving gun to mark everything I take apart so I can clock the parts the same as they were.

Use white lithium grease spray on the plunger and work it a few times by hand to get grease into it.

Reassemble. Figure you'll do it again in 2 to 4 years depending upon how much you drive the bus and how much dirt gets into it.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC transmission, be sure the neutral switch in the shifter is good or it can cause intermittent starting issues. NAPA has a replacement. Ask for ECH NS6827 - be sure to compare it to your old one.

HOW TO FIX A STICKY PINION
Symptoms of a sticky pinion and lever.
No click no nothing.
Starter works on hot days but not on cold mornings or days.
Starter does not disengage and gets stuck and keeps cranking. NOTE: This can also be the contacts in the solenoid welding to each other.

Clean and Lubricate the Pinion gear, Armature shaft and the Shift lever.

Link

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: