Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pressure
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: fuel pressure Reply with quote

so i installed a new brosol fuel pump on my 71 super and hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to see what it’s putting out. was super high! like around 8psi. did what i could and i got it down to about 4.5 psi. is 4.5psi still too high? does it need to be around the 3psi mark or am i okay to leave it where it is?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
so i installed a new brosol fuel pump on my 71 super and hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to see what it’s putting out. was super high! like around 8psi. did what i could and i got it down to about 4.5 psi. is 4.5psi still too high? does it need to be around the 3psi mark or am i okay to leave it where it is?

That all depends whether the needle valve in the carb works properly with that psi.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:

That all depends whether the needle valve in the carb works properly with that psi.

hey thanks for taking the time and helping me out i really appreciate it! my really sure how to determine that either. sorry i’m a compete newbie and don’t know much at all :/
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:

hey thanks for taking the time and helping me out i really appreciate it! my really sure how to determine that either. sorry i’m a compete newbie and don’t know much at all :/

Basically, Cusser is saying:

"Does the carb/engine become flooded with fuel with the PSI that pump is putting out?"

The needle valve (or float valve) is the valve which allows fuel from the pump into the carb fuel bowl. Once the float inside the bowl (and the fuel level) get high enough-"Full" the needle valve closes and no more fuel goes into the float bowl until some fuel is used and the float drops enough to re-open the needle valve.

Cycle repeats so long as the engine is running.

If the pump puts out too much PSI, it can 'overwhelm' the needle valve (aka can 'force' fuel into the float bowl when the needle valve should be closed) this causes the fuel level in the bowl to be 'overfilled' and can then simple drip/run into the carb and intake. Essentially then 'dumping' extra fuel into the engine.

Long story short:

If your car (and carb needle valve) seem to do fine with that PSI, it's pretty close to specs.
Your choice if you want to find a solution to further reduce PSI output.

Trouble is: once you begin stacking lots of gaskets to reduce pressure, there's a chance you begin decreasing both the PSI and volume of fuel being delivered to the carb. This reduction in volume can cause fuel 'starvation' at high RPMs (highway driving). This can cause a cycle of loss of power (while the engine isn't getting enough fuel) until the speed/RPMs drop for a long enough time to get the bowl fuel level 'caught up' and then you will have good power until the fuel level drops again (because the pump isn't putting out enough volume to keep up with the high RPM fuel demands).

More gaskets doesn't always mean better/correct.

A good intro into precisely how a carburetor works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:

Basically, Cusser is saying:

"Does the carb/engine become flooded with fuel with the PSI that pump is putting out?"

The needle valve (or float valve) is the valve which allows fuel from the pump into the carb fuel bowl. Once the float inside the bowl (and the fuel level) get high enough-"Full" the needle valve closes and no more fuel goes into the float bowl until some fuel is used and the float drops enough to re-open the needle valve.

Cycle repeats so long as the engine is running.

If the pump puts out too much PSI, it can 'overwhelm' the needle valve (aka can 'force' fuel into the float bowl when the needle valve should be closed) this causes the fuel level in the bowl to be 'overfilled' and can then simple drip/run into the carb and intake. Essentially then 'dumping' extra fuel into the engine.

Long story short:

If your car (and carb needle valve) seem to do fine with that PSI, it's pretty close to specs.
Your choice if you want to find a solution to further reduce PSI output.

Trouble is: once you begin stacking lots of gaskets to reduce pressure, there's a chance you begin decreasing both the PSI and volume of fuel being delivered to the carb. This reduction in volume can cause fuel 'starvation' at high RPMs (highway driving). This can cause a cycle of loss of power (while the engine isn't getting enough fuel) until the speed/RPMs drop for a long enough time to get the bowl fuel level 'caught up' and then you will have good power until the fuel level drops again (because the pump isn't putting out enough volume to keep up with the high RPM fuel demands).

More gaskets doesn't always mean better/correct.

A good intro into precisely how a carburetor works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

hey thanks for the long and imformative reply! i get the concept of it but i’m having trouble figuring out how to check if it’s flooding/overfilling
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Set the pressure to specification. Per the orange Bentley Official VW Service Manual section 4.2....... 3.0 to 5.0 psi.

Once this is done, you may wish to check and adjust float bowl level, procedure in the afore mentioned Bentley Manual.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Also you can remove the air cleaner with engine running and see if fuel is pouring out of the vent tube at top of the carb throat. Do wear eye protection just in case of back fire in your face....
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Also you can remove the air cleaner with engine running and see if fuel is pouring out of the vent tube at top of the carb throat. Do wear eye protection just in case of back fire in your face....

not sure what the vent tube is?? is that the same thing as the little accelerator tube that looks like a faucet?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

not sure what the vent tube is?? is that the same thing as the little accelerator tube that looks like a faucet?

No, but nearby, it'll be the one puking out gas Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

How did you measure the fuel pressure and how accurate is your gauge?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

It's the big one in the center cut at an angle. It vents the float bowl where all the fuel comes into the carburetor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

ooh okay gotcha!! is it suppose to be puking out gas?
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

It's the big one in the center cut at an angle. It vents the float bowl where all the fuel comes into the carburetor.

awesome! thanks for the picture.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

ooh okay gotcha!! is it suppose to be puking out gas?

No, that only happens with excessive fuel pressure and/or a faulty needle and seat or sunk float.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Not that if the tube in question does not burp out fuel, that does NOT mean fuel pressure or float bowl height is correct. If fuel does burp fuel, some thing is wrong, but no burping is not an assurance that all is correct with fuel pressure or fuel level in bowl.

Set the pressure with use of a gage, then measure float bowl level as per the factory manual.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Vent tube allows normal air pressure to get into the float chamber to push down on the pool of fuel in there. With the drop in air pressure just below the venturi, the fuel then will get sucked thru all the passages starting in the bottom of the float chamber and thru jets to spray into the lower throat of the carb.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Fuel comes in at "A". Normally the float bowl will fill with fuel causing the float "F" to rise closing the needle and seat "P" (as pictured in the diagram). If the fuel pressure is too high, the pressure will force the needle and seat "P" open, forcing the float "F" down. This will overfill the float bowl causing fuel to spill out of the vent tube.

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Set the pressure to specification. Per the orange Bentley Official VW Service Manual section 4.2....... 3.0 to 5.0 psi.

Once this is done, you may wish to check and adjust float bowl level, procedure in the afore mentioned Bentley Manual.

Bug On!

3-5 psi is the *maximum* spec. Earlier in the text is a target of 2.8 psi at 3400 rpm.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

This whole fuel pressure measurement issue is so !!!

Trying to find a gauge that can measure 3psi accurately is very hard. 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, psi, most cheap gauges would not distinguish the difference accurately. Most are 15psi miniumum FSD

Unless a gauge has a calibration certificate it means nothing. This means you are going to pay US$150-200 plus for the gauge. Who pays that.

For those who dispute this. Have they had their gauge tested by a certified laboratory. Check the price - its probable a lot more.

Just because the cheap gauge indicates 3psi means nothing.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
This whole fuel pressure measurement issue is so !!!

Trying to find a gauge that can measure 3psi accurately is very hard. 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, psi, most cheap gauges would not distinguish the difference accurately. Most are 15psi miniumum FSD

Unless a gauge has a calibration certificate it means nothing. This means you are going to pay US$150-200 plus for the gauge. Who pays that.

For those who dispute this. Have they had their gauge tested by a certified laboratory. Check the price - its probable a lot more.

Just because the cheap gauge indicates 3psi means nothing.

Here's the one I'm gonna use ( If I ever finish my build ) ...

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: