Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T'
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

I know it sounds stupid, however ... Smile, bear with me here....

I have a 118HP Inline 4 2.0 8V. It uses one off Motronic (TiiCo) that is not tunable in any way.

Without a spare ECU, you are kind of dead in the water. The idea of plenty of spare AEB parts in the world intrigues me even if the turbo wasn't used.

I am curious if anyone has heard or know of what HP a 20V 1.8T AEB would be without the turbo ? Some have suggested 8V numbers of 90 HP, others are suggesting maybe 115 or so ? I suspect the motor breathes pretty well intake wise and would need to totally remove the turbo to exhale the exhaust well.

I figured a Stage 1 tune may even give a little bit of help compared to a stock AEB but I suspect it plays a lot off the turbo spooling and other things I know little about to truly get the HP gains.

This Inquiry mind wants to know !
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

The 1.8t management is not much different than the ABA 2.0 another way of saying this is motronic 2.9 vs motronic 5.9 or 7.1.

The 1.8T without the turbo is a slug, yes it breathes well but this advantage only can be seen at higher rpms and this brings the torque and hp higher in the power band. A vanagon is a brick and needs low end torque. An 8 valve will bring torque lower in the rpm faster than the 16v and 20v.

If you want to play around with tuning possibly go stand-alone or I'd imagine the didgifant system used on the g60 corrado would be easily adaptable to a ticco. Then you can run boost.

The N/A 1.8t was used in Europe as a 1.8 20v, I believe engine code ADP or it replaced the ADP, bleep also is something too!
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

If you want to go the AEB route, it would make more sense to use the engine complete, with the turbo in place. It's a pretty simple engine, and it would take more effort to eliminate the turbo than to figure out a basic intercooler setup (the hardest part of an AEB conversion).

As dkoessyncro stated above, Audi did use a 1.8 20V in the A3 and A4 in Europe, and it wasn't a very impressive engine. It had 125hp at 6000 rpms, and 128 lb/ft of torque at 4100. Those figures sound better than they are because those numbers are reached at a very high rpm. Also, an AEB sans turbo wouldn't even reach those numbers because it has a static compression ratio of 9.5:1 vs 10.3:1 for the euro non turbo engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
If you want to go the AEB route, it would make more sense to use the engine complete, with the turbo in place. It's a pretty simple engine, and it would take more effort to eliminate the turbo than to figure out a basic intercooler setup (the hardest part of an AEB conversion).

As dkoessyncro stated above, Audi did use a 1.8 20V in the A3 and A4 in Europe, and it wasn't a very impressive engine. It had 125hp at 6000 rpms, and 128 lb/ft of torque at 4100. Those figures sound better than they are because those numbers are reached at a very high rpm. Also, an AEB sans turbo wouldn't even reach those numbers because it has a static compression ratio of 9.5:1 vs 10.3:1 for the euro non turbo engine.

Well put, often my words don't come out as my thoughts! The engine code I believe was bleep on the B5 platform.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.

I figured the HP was probably at high RPM and similar to why not many pursue the 16V motor in a Vanagon, no low end grunt. Wow, 6k ! Geez.

For comparison, the TiiCo motor at 2.0L does :

1. 118HP at 4800 RPM

2. 132 ft/lb at 3500 RPM

10:1 CR
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ponderings about the 1.8T HP ratings without the 'T' Reply with quote

Do all Tiico blocks have piston skirt oil squirters? If you want to build a higher HP/torque engine, what about the Audi bubble block as a start point? I've read that all those blocks c/w squirters. (but that block may be hard to find in some areas?)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: