Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight wiring confusion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Headlight wiring confusion Reply with quote

I've got this '85 Westfalia that I'm trying to solve some electrical problems and now "i'm reaching out to see if the collective knowledge here can help me.

First off the van has no engine. While I'm searching for a new lump I'm also trying to make sure all of the electronics function properly. I pulled the front grill and found that all headlight connections had been cut. I soldered and heat shrunk the cut ends. There are two loose 18gauge brown wires that I have no idea where to place them. I think they are part of the front turn signal circuit.

Does anyone have a picture of the connections? The wiring diagram doesn't really help. I think I may need to splice the 18gauge wire with 16gauge brown wire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring confusion Reply with quote

The wiring diagram has a good representation of the actual wiring in this case; the factory headlight connector would have both brown wires crimped into the single terminal connector.

Your hunch is correct, those brown wires are the ground path, either the source of ground from the chassis or continuing to the turn signal.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring confusion Reply with quote

earth is brown, in England what we call the ground in wiring is called 'earth', therefore all good German wiring has the ground wire (earth) colored brown.

Logical it is, yes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: