Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Replaced air conditioner condenser. I did not disturb any radiator water/coolant connections, just had to cut some zipties to drop the radiator+fan+condenser assembly down a few inches (on its long rubber hoses).

If anyone nearby (Seattle) can help me pump it down (vacuum) that would be GREAT!! I'd really like to get some refrigerant in ASAP and see if it holds.

The entire radiator+fan+condenser is supported by FOUR m8 bolts, on slotted holes. Adapting the GoWesty condenser was fairly straightforward using their directions. Here's some pics that might help.

I did this work with the van at 28" high on wheel ramps. A 32" stick supports the radiator "in place" to remove the bolts. I removed the two radiator supports then lowered the radiator+fan assembly down to sit on the orange ratchet strap. It wasn't too difficult.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's pics showing the helper stick holding the weight of the radiator + fan + condenser so you can unscrew or insert the four bolts. My concrete was rough surface that held the stick in place. You may want another length helper stick, but i used just the 32".

Note GoWesty condenser is 1/2 the size of the OEM unit. "They say" it works well, I hope so!

This pic shows the orange ratchet strap that I will drop the radiator+fan+condenser assembly onto. Note at the left side the aluminum tubing will bend under the weight of the assembly sitting on the orange strap. Add a block in there, or perhaps disconnect the pipe first. I had to 'reshape' the pipe little (by hand) to fit to the GoWesty extension hose (to the upper left corner fitting of the condenser)

If you just LOOSEN all four M8 bolts below (13mm head) the entire radiator+fan+condenser will drop down about 1/2 inch in the slotted holes, providing access to these two screws that attach the condenser to the top of the radiator. Don't lose these conical rubber grommets. There's one at each corner of the radiator.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's not a COMPLETE instructional, butyou can see it's not a HUGE project to change the condenser.

Note: Changing the condenser entails opening the system to the atmosphere. This is a bad deal if your van currently has FREON in it, FREON damages your environment and everyone elses too. And not a great thing to do if it has R134 in it. You need to have the refrigerant reclaimed by an air conditioning repair company, before unscrewing ANY fittings. My system has been empty for many years so i did not have to do that.

If anyone nearby (Seattle) can help me pump it down (vacuum) that would be GREAT!! If it holds a vacuum I'll squirt some RedTek in ASAP.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If anyone nearby (Seattle) can help me pump it down (vacuum) that would be GREAT!! I'd really like to get some refrigerant in ASAP and see if it holds.

My FLAPS lists a vacuum test kit as part of their loaner tools…maybe if that's the case down there? Is that what you need?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
My FLAPS lists a vacuum test kit as part of their loaner tools…maybe if that's the case down there? Is that what you need?

Yes that's it but I called Autozone and the rental cost was $170.... Can buy a pump at HarborFreight for $164. But didn't really want to stock another "seldom" or "ideally seldom" tool. If it was $50 I'd do it, but since this round is first testing if it will even hold a vacuum, I'm hoping to find a Vanagon bro deal... Wink

Another option is to pressurize it, and if it holds pressure that's a good sign. But I moved and can't find my fittings, if anyone nearby has an old refrigerant add kit that I can scavenge fittings from.... send a PM.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

I bet if you inquired about the cost of the vacuum pump rental, you may find that you get most of that $170 back when you return it. I'm almost willing to say you will get all of it back.

Make another call.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Yeah today I rented a flange puller from advance auto parts and get 100% of my money back.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

That's definitely how tool "rental" cost works at both the FLAPS I use (Oreilly and Napa). You "rent it" for the full retail cost of the tool and then get it all back when you return it. You know, what a lot of people would do anyway for one-time use tools...I think it's a brilliant way to prevent use-and-returns.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

The entire radiator+fan+condenser is supported by FOUR m8 bolts, on slotted holes. Adapting the GoWesty condenser was fairly straightforward using their directions. Here's some pics that might help.

That's certainly different to my '84. The new condenser attaches to the van frame with the brackets supplied, not to the radiator, which can be removed separately.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
pump rental, you may find that you get most of that $170 back when you return it. I'm almost willing to say you will get all of it back.

Make another call.

I WILL DO THAT! Thanks!

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

I had success with a this one https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycl...96677.html and using my neighbor's 30 gallon compressor. It was cheap and worked.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

You should also replace the drier while the system is open

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I was told I won't need a drier if I hold the vacuum 24 hours.
Is this your understanding?
Also was told that hot summer day is the best time to evacuate and 'dry' the system.

A beautiful thing... Thanks for telling me about the loaner program, it absolutely rules. And I can keep it for 90 days.

It went to minus 1. I backed off the plungers and it's holding 'minus 1' for 1 hr so far.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Close the valves, go to bed.
See what the meters say come morning.

Absolute Vacuum varies based upon elevation.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I was told I won't need a drier if I hold the vacuum 24 hours..

you were told wrong. any time the a/c is open to atmosphere for more than 20 minutes or so the desiccant can absorb (and saturate) too much moisture.

at the minimum I would pull a vacuum for a minimum of a couple hours. water boils under a good deep vacuum. otherwise, you run the risk of "black death" when water, refrigerant and oil mix up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Absolute Vacuum varies based upon elevation.

I'm at 130 feet elevation.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I was told I won't need a drier if I hold the vacuum 24 hours..

you were told wrong. any time the a/c is open to atmosphere for more than 20 minutes or so the desiccant can absorb (and saturate) too much moisture.
at the minimum I would pull a vacuum for a minimum of a couple hours. water boils under a good deep vacuum. otherwise, you run the risk of "black death" when water, refrigerant and oil mix up

I was going to hold vacuum for 24 hours. But are you saying the desiccant in the drier won't 'dry under a vacuum'?

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

Dumb question - does cleaning solvent/PAG oil contaminate the dryer? or is the disecant isolated?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

The desiccant will get soaked in PAG oil but that won’t affect its ability to pick up moisture

If you haven’t detonated parts into your AC and held pressure you can forego changing the drier. Pumping on it for a couple hours will purge the desiccant of water. I run six cars now, newest is a 2012,next is a 2006, all but one on original driers with good working AC and original compressors.

You do lose your warranty if you don’t replace the drier but unless you are in the trade they won’t honor it anyway. Read the fine print.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

The boiling action stops when you stop pulling a vaccum.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

If you have 24 hours just leave the pump running. You should have new oil in it, too if you are a DIY type. If you are an AC tech, you keep track of hours on the oil, but we don't, so I just replace each year on AC season when I have jobs coming up. It is cheap.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

You do need to replace the drier if you had it open long enough to replace the condenser. If you're putting R-134 in a system that wasn't already correctly converted, you also need to replace all the O-rings in the system because the O-rings for R-12 are not compatible with R-134. I'm running that Gowesty condenser as well. Its just a marked up version of a universal condenser. It gets the job done well enough. I have cold AC in my van running off my Subaru compressor and R-134.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Air conditioning condenser with GoWesty Reply with quote

The refrigerant desiccant in a drier holds moisture by a chemical reaction. You cannot remove it by using a vacuum pump. It is like trying to un-bake a cake.
The vacuum pump is used to remove any free moisture in the system. Then the desiccant in the system is to capture any moisture missed by the vacuum pump and any moisture that happens to enter the sealed system after servicing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: