Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Forum
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MudDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I am new to VWs and the forum, my friend currently owns 2 VWs and over the years has gotten me to like them after helping him work on his. I am 15 years old and my dad and I would love to buy a project car to fix up together, however, unfortunately we have gone through financial hardships for a long time. We are, however, going to acquire a small sum of money from my grandfather's estate after his passing in June. It is not a lot, but it should be enough for a beat up VW. I am excited to be part of this forum and community after seeing how friendly VW people are from always seeing my friend browse the forum. I am planning on getting a baja bug or a sand rail. I hope to learn a lot from you and be able to complete my off-roader while being part of a community like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

Sand rails are great, for about three to four weeks out of the year due to weather, a Baja bug would be a better choice. Seeing that you are in CT, DEFINITELY learn what to avoid rustwise, whether it be floors, heater channels, or even the '71-on "death foam". Work with your friend on his cars & get to know these cars before jumping too far in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
MudDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Yeah I was leaning more towards a Baja so I wouldn’t have to deal with all the registration stuff. Thanks for the advice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Would your friend be known here as 67ctbug?
MudDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Yes, that would be him.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

You can buy Baja projects cheap & they can be made off road & street legal with fiberglass fenders etc. We know All 15 year olds want their own street legal car!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Would your friend be known here as 67ctbug?
Laughing Laughing That was quicker than I thought it would be!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

1 word of caution, these cars are not cheep.buy it cheep, fix it up reliable and you now have a expensive beat up old bug....probably rusty too. I bought my bug for $45.00 I now probably have $15~20,000.00 in vw shit. also buying parts also mean buying shipping witch is invisible but expensive. find a $500 car and pass opn it than fiond a 200 car and pass on it, then find a $6~8000.00 car and be ahead by buying a good driver ready to go....or a honda.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Forum Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
1 word of caution, these cars are not cheep.buy it cheep, fix it up reliable and you now have a expensive beat up old bug....probably rusty too. I bought my bug for $45.00 I now probably have $15~20,000.00 in vw shit. also buying parts also mean buying shipping witch is invisible but expensive. find a $500 car and pass opn it than fiond a 200 car and pass on it, then find a $6~8000.00 car and be ahead by buying a good driver ready to go....or a honda.
Mark, I 100% agree with you. MudDub has watched me fix this thing for 2 years and if I had gotten a bug that cost even $2000 more I would have been better off. I've probably spent that in parts not including labor if I put a cost on that too. I think he should just save up and get a solid baja.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: