Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle seals and replacement parts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Transaxle seals and replacement parts? Reply with quote

Have a small oil leak between my engine and my bellhousing so I am going to pull the trans and install new seals. My question is, are these the right ones?

From what I've read and heard, the've been called crankshaft seals, drive seals, main seals, etc. Just want to make sure I change them all while I have it out as they seem relatively inexpensive.

Going to do the clutch kit as well as I understand I should while I'm in there. Any other items I should replace as preventative maintenance. I've never pulled the transaxle before so this will be new territory for me and I want to get it right.

http://www.vancafe.com/category_s/3000.htm
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle seals and replacement parts? Reply with quote

Bretley,

Those are absolutely, positively NOT the right seals to be stopping an engine oil leak. I think you're on the right track that these and related seals in the area are not expensive, so its wise to replace them all on the trans side and the engine side. I suggest you call the # and speak with someone at Van Cafe to get really good advice.

Also, when looking for advice like this, I suggest you include what transmission you have, and also if its the stock WBX engine.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle seals and replacement parts? Reply with quote

It’s a stock 1.9l and manual trans. Sent them an email but maybe I’ll just give them a call.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle seals and replacement parts? Reply with quote

Yep - good call. And the engine's crankshaft seal is one to specifically get a certain brand. I can't recall what it is even though I've bought 3 over the years and you can research that here on Samba or ask the Van Cafe person on the phone. It's well known in the Vanagon world which seal is the bulletproof choice.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: