Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best path for max low end torque
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

I will be upgrading my motor this winter, spec Formula 1600, so I am doing my research. I run the car in Autocross so I need a wide power band. Should I supercharge or or go n/a with 2000+ cubes.

My runs are typically 60 to 75 seconds long will get between 6 to 8 in a day its a trailer car so dont need reliability as a priority.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

JoeE13 wrote:
I will be upgrading my motor this winter, spec Formula 1600, so I am doing my research. I run the car in Autocross so I need a wide power band. Should I supercharge or or go n/a with 2000+ cubes.

BOTH, of course. Just kidding Want a TON of low end?.... be careful what you wish for!!
I'd go 2000cc and high compression, probably even keep the carburetor. More compression does not add a ton of power to the middle, but you get faster response, and a lot more above ANd below the actual powerband. The thing is light, you won't need much

BTW what is that carburetor and....... is it working well for you?
DCNF?
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Not sure thought maybe a weber. I am going to get a dyno run to see what I have before final decision. Right now low end is very poor, it is cammed with a 4k to 6k power band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

oh.....I can imagine that being, not very good.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Can you run a turbo?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Big motor AND boost for maximum sketchiness!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Big displacement through stroke ,short rods and a cam/induction system that is meant for the RPM range you want to be in.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Big motor AND boost for maximum sketchiness!

I spent the day at the Kent, Wa. VW nationals yesterday.....

I watched a big stroker with turbo run a high 15 second quarter on his worst run and and his best run was a 14.45 second run. Averages were about 14.70 seconds.
I also watched a stock 1600 with supercharger run from high sixteens to a best of 15.47 seconds.

Size does not dictate power or speed............

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

I'd go 2275cc with dual 44 IDFs. Instant throttle response. A 150hp engine would be practically unbeatable in that car.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

A short stroke engine will always rev faster than a longer stroke engine. For autocross I'd build a 76X94 = 2109cc or at most a 78X94 = 2165cc. Spend the most you can on heads. Then you must carefully consider the gear ratio's.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

I think the carb is a progressive turned sideways. At least the throttle shafts seem to be the same style used on a progressive though there were some carbs made like that which opened simultaneously.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Do you have ANY parameters you must stay within to keep you within a certain class, or is this “build what you want” for a Mod class?
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Short duration camshaft will make big torque for you. Something between 275 and 282 advertised duration. Have it made on a wide lobe separation angle, like 112. EFI is also the way to go on a road course. You'll have no fuel starvation issues that way in the twisties.
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do you have ANY parameters you must stay within to keep you within a certain class, or is this “build what you want” for a Mod class?

Mine is build what I want, I just drive for fun. Big sticky tires, acceleration and g force turns make my day especially on big AutoX courses like Pocono

JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
A short stroke engine will always rev faster than a longer stroke engine. For autocross I'd build a 76X94 = 2109cc or at most a 78X94 = 2165cc. Spend the most you can on heads. Then you must carefully consider the gear ratio's.

The gearing and transmission are next. Is there some sort of paddle shifting or sequential gearbox system for this type of setup? If I could operate within 3 gears smoothly up to 70+ mph and back to 2nd quickly at times it would be golden.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

I don't think you can get any sequential shifters for a stock tranny. There might be one for bus transmissions. I think they make them for Mendola transmissions but they are pretty expensive.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

If you go the dual carb route - measure here. The chassis tubes look like they could interfere with carb placement.

Consider a dry sump to keep the engine oiled during corners. I'm incorporating an Accusump in my build, in case the pickup sucks air.

Last edited by Chad1376 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

One solution among many: https://store.schnitzracing.com/air-shifters-explained/
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
If you go the dual carb route - measure here. The chassis tubes look like they could interfere with carb placement.

Consider a dry sump to keep the engine oiled during corners. I'm incorporating an Accusump in my build, in case the pickup sucks air.

I checked and the pic is deceiving. If I look down from the frame is to the inside of the intake ports on the heads.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best path for max low end torque Reply with quote

Apparently no room for dual carbs unless they are on type 3 manifolds, and that´s not particularly good.

My solution due to space restrictions would be a purpose built 1914 with an isolated runner intake, a dual 40 mm Dell/IDF modified for boot and an Eaton M45 to feed it. There´s an easy 150 -170 hp with an explosive lower end pick up if built right.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: