Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pressure regulator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I am having a bit of a puzzling issue with my engine. It seems to be getting richer and fuel mileage is going down. Background:

type 4, fresh engine with maybe 800 miles on it.

Was getting 29 mpg but now down to 25 mpg. Smells rich when following it on the highway. Used to cruise at 14.2 to 14.5 AFR now is in the 11.8 to 12.3 range. exhaust pipes black inside O2 sensor black. AFR at full throttle unchanged at 12.5 to 13.2.

Italian Weber 40s idles were 52, changed to 50, no real improvement.

This is the fuel pressure regulator which if I recall was factory pre-set at 2.5 psi, now at 3.4psi, tried to get it lower but 3.2 is the lowest it will go. Literature says 1 to 4 psi range. Carter electric pump.

Is this regulator the problem?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Yea I think quality control on these went out the window lately Rolling Eyes I swapped to an 'Aeromotive' return style with boost ref Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Have a guage mounted?

I would first check the floats. I run idfs at 3psi with no regulator and the floats can hold that over night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I am having a bit of a puzzling issue with my engine. It seems to be getting richer and fuel mileage is going down. Background:

type 4, fresh engine with maybe 800 miles on it.

Was getting 29 mpg but now down to 25 mpg. Smells rich when following it on the highway. Used to cruise at 14.2 to 14.5 AFR now is in the 11.8 to 12.3 range. exhaust pipes black inside O2 sensor black. AFR at full throttle unchanged at 12.5 to 13.2.

Italian Weber 40s idles were 52, changed to 50, no real improvement.

This is the fuel pressure regulator which if I recall was factory pre-set at 2.5 psi, now at 3.4psi, tried to get it lower but 3.2 is the lowest it will go. Literature says 1 to 4 psi range. Carter electric pump.

Is this regulator the problem?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Think about this in segments.

This actual regulator.....used to put out.....2.5 psi. You say it was "factory set". Did you check it when it came out of the box.

So if it was putting out 2.5 and is now putting out 3.2.....understand that fuel pressure regulators work with a needle or plate and seat....backed up by a spring. Springs do not get stronger....they only get weaker.

Your pump....puts out virtually "0" pressure. It puts out volume and prevents it from bleeding off through the pump. The regulator builds pressure with spring resistance against that volume.

If the regulator cannot be backed off.....it may have run out of room to be backed off. And....that can only mean that volume from the pump has INCREASED.

If its an electric pump....check the voltage to it. If its a mechanical pump...check the stroke to it. Either way....check the volume coming from the pump and compare to what it was. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I had a mix up with one of those Holley regulators. Part number 12-803 is for 4.5-9 psi and 12-804 is for 1-4 psi. They are the same exact regulator externally, they just use a different spring. Take the top off the regulator and check. A plain colored spring is the higher pressure one, a spring with red paint marks on the coils is the lower pressure one.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Are you using a return line to the tank for excedssfuel or just deadheading it to the carbs. I tried one of these with no return line and got really frustrated I went to a Maripassa regulator from CB with a return port

brad
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I ran the Holley type with a gauge mounted on the supply side and could dial it in perfectly.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Here is a great video on fixing the issue with the Holley regulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYOW9WLHLs

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I was not aware this was a Holley regulator. It was not advertised as such.

No it does not have a return line to the tank, it is intended to run "dead headed" at the regulator.

Foolish me I took it for granted that factory set would be fine. My bad for not checking it on install.

It could be that a bit of something is stuck under the seat too. Time to investigate further.

Thanks for the video! Same regulator as his.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
I had a mix up with one of those Holley regulators. Part number 12-803 is for 4.5-9 psi and 12-804 is for 1-4 psi. They are the same exact regulator externally, they just use a different spring. Take the top off the regulator and check. A plain colored spring is the higher pressure one, a spring with red paint marks on the coils is the lower pressure one.

This man here I believe has hit the nail square on the head!

Plain spring - no stripe same as the one in the video too.

The unit is spotless inside so there goes my dirt on the seat theory.

Now, others have said that 3 - 3.5 psi is for IDAs (brand new - modern?)but... what about a set that are 30+ years old and very likely the original float valves?
They look fine - seem to hold ok but maybe 2 or 2.5 is all they will handle now?

Out with the coffee can full (everone has one of those... right?) of old springs - about 3 possibilities - put them on the gram scale and pick the lightest one. Reshape it a bit and try it out!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

worst case you can clip a coil off a stiff spring to soften it up enough to get adjustment.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

I don't think I ever had a similar problem with the fuel pressure.
I've run float needles and seats far uglier than those, but they worked Ok. with faucet or carter 3-4psi pumps or stock pumps. I've discarded floats that were too heavy, and needles/seats that appeared too worn, but i never had either part actually fail for me.

Not to say that isn't possible, but, if it takes those things a LONG time to wear out, so, it's unlikely for them to act up "suddenly" unless they get something stuck in them, like a fiber strand from a hose, which can happen. or something STRANGE has occurred.

Is it possible.... when you had them apart, you swapped the needles from one to the other? or the seat assembly or a jet isn't fully tightened? Just wild guess.
I've always been a little afraid of that, as far as, if the last guy mixed up what needle goes to what seat, you'd have NO to way to know, nobody would.

What does the fuel pump put out unregulated? I have no experience with that unit, but just from the size of it I'd expect you'd need several PSI pressure drop across it to work right, with such a small diaphragm.

Last edited by modok on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Fuel pressure specifications, from weber maunal, translated from italian/metric to english

scale range, for fuel supply feed pressure measurements; may also be of the wide scale range type measuring,also depression(mano-vacuum-meter).
It must be ducted in proximity of carburettor connection by meansof a plastic tube so that the instrument may be kept in driver's compartment and give pressure readings during vehicle operation at high road speeds when pressure drops are more likely.

For the majority of Weber carburettors, normal fuel feed pressure values are the following:

-

Maximum pressure: 0.3 kg/sq.cm
(4.2 psi)

measurable when engine operates in the transition (progression) or idle speed stages

-

Minimum pressure: 0.2 kg/sq.cm
(2.8 psi)

measurable on the road around top rated vehicle speed.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

The Holley regulator springs aren’t that expensive if you end up needing one. I just recommended checking because I was shipped a 4.5-9psi version when I ordered a 1-4.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_...rts/12-807
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

No I haven't had the float valves out.

I intended to check the fuel pump pressure without the regulator but forgot last minute in my excitment to try out this spring.

The spring looks like it came out of a flashlight. The one that puts the pressure on the batteries. A bit shorter and somewhat softer. Backed off it gave me 0.8 psi so I cranked it up to 2 psi and put it all back together.

Out on the road I'm back at 14.2 AFR at cruise so it did make a difference and we should be back up to 29 mpg I'm thinking. Idle is much smoother too even though I didn't touch the screws.

I might experiment with dropping it a bit more. The engine will tell me on the uphills when I reach the volume limit. I should see it on the wideband too.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
The Holley regulator springs aren’t that expensive if you end up needing one. I just recommended checking because I was shipped a 4.5-9psi version when I ordered a 1-4.

That appears to be exactly what happened to me too. If I had checked the pressure before I installed it, most likely would have found it at 3.4 as the screw was backed right off. The price of the spring is not an issue but shipping, exchange on the dollar and Canadian customs charges would make it worth it's weight in gold!

I will install a tee now so I can watch the fuel pressure on the fly. I am still puzzled by the way the AFR meter hits 11 on deceleration... Probably nothing to worry about but that is way richer than it runs even at idle.

Maybe all carbs do that.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Fuel pressure specifications, from weber maunal, translated from italian/metric to english

scale range, for fuel supply feed pressure measurements; may also be of the wide scale range type measuring,also depression(mano-vacuum-meter).
It must be ducted in proximity of carburettor connection by meansof a plastic tube so that the instrument may be kept in driver's compartment and give pressure readings during vehicle operation at high road speeds when pressure drops are more likely.

For the majority of Weber carburettors, normal fuel feed pressure values are the following:

-

Maximum pressure: 0.3 kg/sq.cm
(4.2 psi)

measurable when engine operates in the transition (progression) or idle speed stages

-

Minimum pressure: 0.2 kg/sq.cm
(2.8 psi)

measurable on the road around top rated vehicle speed.

Ya that is what my Weber manual says too. I wonder if even though the float valves seal off ok the higher pressure effects the float level a little. What I am saying is the float bowl level rises a bit higher before there is enough force on the float valve to get a tight shut off at that higher pressure. I found the Kadrons ran better with less pressure too, especially the idle.

Maybe I would get the same results just by playing with the float level setting.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

There are a lot of factors. The needle and seat size, viton tip or metal, the fuel pressure, all may require different setting.

Even, how the engine vibrates can make the floats work better or worse, and nobody really knows which way it's going to be.
I've always thought that's why the Kadrons are the way they are, but I don't know for sure.

A lot on guys on here advocate 11mm float level, in the usual IDFs, or even 10

I always set them lower, about 12mm from the gasket, for various reasons but mainly just seems to work for me.

But.....it does not have to be exactly anything, nor does the fuel pressure, if it's working fine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

On decel MAP is very high, pulling more fuel through the idle circuit than when at idle (lower vacuum). Back in the day that's why early emissions engines had a vacuum pot which prevented the throttle from fully closing when vacuum was high.

oprn wrote:
I am still puzzled by the way the AFR meter hits 11 on deceleration... Probably nothing to worry about but that is way richer than it runs even at idle.

Maybe all carbs do that.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure regulator Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
On decel MAP is very high, pulling more fuel through the idle circuit than when at idle (lower vacuum). Back in the day that's why early emissions engines had a vacuum pot which prevented the throttle from fully closing when vacuum was high.

oprn wrote:
I am still puzzled by the way the AFR meter hits 11 on deceleration... Probably nothing to worry about but that is way richer than it runs even at idle.

Maybe all carbs do that.

Thanks, answered a question about a rich spike on my progressive on throttle closing!

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: