Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I've been lurking on here for awhile getting info and inspiration for a surprise project I acquired last fall but figured i should introduce myself. My name is Andrew, I've owned and worked on a variety of cars over my life so far including Jeeps, Subaru, Mazda (rx7), mini (new) and a few vw's now. Currently I have an 82 Volkswagen Rabbit convertible track car i'm working on in addition to the 71 Type 3 Fastback that was dropped off at my house last fall for the price of an electric guitar. One of the many previous owners of this car (i might be the 4-5th official owner but the 8th owner) started cutting up the car for a WRX swap on a custom airbag setup but didn't come close to completing it. I took this very mangled shell as an opportunity to practice my welding without (expensive) repercussions. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IMG_20171217_085838 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20171217_113135 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20171217_113251 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Here are some more recent pictures of it in my garage now that i've started sanding it and picking up spare metal and suspension to repair it
OutlaVw by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
OutlaVw by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20180513_095308 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
Rolling chassis prep by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
Mockup by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I'm glad to see an air-cooled engine sitting in your garage! Should buy a used swing axle or IRS rear sub frame to put back in it for the aircooled engine to bolt up to. If your engine sticks up above the rear deck then your rear seat back panel will need to be air tight to keep exhaust fumes out of the cabin.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I'm glad to see an air-cooled engine sitting in your garage! Should buy a used swing axle or IRS rear sub frame to put back in it for the aircooled engine to bolt up to. If your engine sticks up above the rear deck then your rear seat back panel will need to be air tight to keep exhaust fumes out of the cabin.

the IRS subframe is mostly still in there less the forks for the transmission. There's a parts 71 fastback about an hour away from me i've been trying to arrange pickup so i have 100% of the factory sheet metal to work with. The engine is mostly for mockup and alignment right now until i get a pancake engine or convert this one to work with the deck shut. so far it's missing the Type 3 oil filler port at the bottom right corner of the block so i'm thinking it'll be the former.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

The IRS subframe doesn't have forks for the transmission/engine because it uses a long rear hanger bar it support the rear of the engine & transmission. You should have mounts for it on the inner fenders. You really need a IRS engine block that has is tapped for the 3 rear hanger 'mustache bar' bolts & Type 3 dipstick location. If you can't find a good used IRS block then the brand new 'universal blocks/cases' are good for Type 1,2,3 & 4 installations.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The IRS subframe doesn't have forks for the transmission/engine because it uses a long rear hanger bar it support the rear of the engine & transmission. You should have mounts for it on the inner fenders. You really need a IRS engine block that has is tapped for the 3 rear hanger 'mustache bar' bolts & Type 3 dipstick location. If you can't find a good used IRS block then the brand new 'universal blocks/cases' are good for Type 1,2,3 & 4 installations.

Something to keep in mind Mike, some of the later type 1 engine cases have the 3 bosses to mount the engine hanger bar, but aren't tapped. The 73 beetle engine I converted years ago (sitting under my TIG table) is an example of that. It just needed to be tapped.
OP, you really don't need the oil fill tube (it's nice to have though), as long as you use a breather with a screw on cap like a bug uses (to fill with oil). A longer handle dipstick will be needed though. If you put a street elbow where the current oil pressure switch is located, then screw the oil pressure switch into the elbow, you can then use the dog house oil cooler and type 3 engine tin.
Basically you'll need all of the type 3 cooling tin, the aluminum/magnesium fan shroud halfs, big and little cooling fans, the type 3 engine hanger bar, T-3 heat exchangers and exhaust system (a header will work fine), type 3 breather stand, a type 3 oil cooler would be nice, but since you have a bug case it can be adjusted to work (see above), and the black belt cover. You'd also like to find a type 3 generator, or modify the 3/4 engine tin for a bug alt (do a search on it, as it's been done before). I think that's it for conversion, but you could do a search to see if I missed anything.
I hope this helps.

P.S. Nice little project you've got there. Keep posting up progress pics, as we like pics here. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I just realized that I've fallen behind on updating this for the 3rd or 4th time. Since July, I've been aquiring parts as budget allows for to get the fastback back on it's own wheel. I found a siezed Type 3 pancake parts engine with the engine tin and other specific parts on top of a core exchange for heads and block. Someone here on the Samba also was able to cut me a framehead so i can finally start chopping out tube chassis work and repairing the factory sheet metal. There is another Samba member from Cali that has a full Disc to Disc Type 3 front axle that I hope is still for sale so i can get this thing back onto the ground in the spring.

Photo Flood:
Fastback buried under other house projects
20180825_201254 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20180930_100552 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
Type 3 parts engine
20181013_194931 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181015_180752 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181113_173631 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181102_160301 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181113_180815 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
New framehead
IMG_20181012_153022607 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
New Club stickers
20181111_122233 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
Bodywork and goofing around
20180909_111653 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20180908_120449 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20180908_120442 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181102_160254 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181110_164406 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181111_112800 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181111_112751 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181111_112803 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr
20181111_114944 by Andrew Pedretti, on Flickr

Again, I'm currently working on getting a hold of a guy from California here on The Samba to buy a front axle assembly and trying to track down either a complete parts car in Minnesota or the rear IRS suspension to hopefully get the car on the ground by spring. More pictures to come as bodywork comes along.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

WOW, you've been busy collecting parts, and getting some stuff done. It's a shame they cut up such a clean car for Minnesota, but then you probably wouldn't have picked it up if it was rusty. The Red Rabbit looks good from what w can see of it, and it looks like it was getting some love too.I'm a little surprised you haven't gotten with BSquare, as he's in Minneapolis and had some parts (I don't know if they were for sale or not), and might be able to help you out. I do know 1 thing though, and that's a complete front beam is heavy, and large, and will cost more to ship than you'll pay for it. The last one I bought, didn't come with spindles or rotors, and we used a pick up truck to haul it in. The one I got from Neil also rode in a pickup truck, but so did the entire front clip I got from him, as the rusty hulk rode on my tow dolly from Idaho to Michigan. Yeah, I'm known for going on a long ride to get stuff if I need it. My T-34 was the same way, in that I went to Iowa to pick it up, and then went to Illinois to get sheet metal and glass that I needed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Actually BSquare is where i got my transmission, front bumper, the green sheet metal cut and a few other odds and ends from but he's been radio silent for awhile. the Beam shipping will definitively more than the part but will still less overall than i was planning to buy it for in person if i ever found one. Still looking for a local parts car with enough parts to justify the high local price. otherwise shipping from the ends of the country is really my only option.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
Actually BSquare is where i got my transmission, front bumper, the green sheet metal cut and a few other odds and ends from but he's been radio silent for awhile. the Beam shipping will definitively more than the part but will still less overall than i was planning to buy it for in person if i ever found one. Still looking for a local parts car with enough parts to justify the high local price. otherwise shipping from the ends of the country is really my only option.

You might want to try contacting Jim Adney ( [email protected] ) and see if he's got any bits and pieces you might need. He's in Madison WI, so it might be closer. He also does rebuilding services, and has an ad in the Samba Classifieds. Just a thought.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Sealed the deal on firewall and front trunk sheet metal for a very good price. Getting the cuts approximately where the red lines are. 1. firewall, 2 and 3 the lower sides surrounding the gas tank. They are from an earlier fastback so some trimming and patching will probably still be required.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
Sealed the deal on firewall and front trunk sheet metal for a very good price. Getting the cuts approximately where the red lines are. 1. firewall, 2 and 3 the lower sides surrounding the gas tank. They are from an earlier fastback so some trimming and patching will probably still be required.

Ask whomever you're getting it from to cut it as large as possible. It's better to have too much, than not enough.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Not much for updates as it's been below zero here in Minnesota (we're looking at -50 F on Wednesday) however I finally sealed the deal on the sheet metal for the front end of the car as well as working on getting a complete disc front beam for a sane price. Once the air temp in the garage is maintainable above 15 degrees I should be able to resume sanding, cutting and weld prep for restoring the front end of the fastback .

still looking for a reasonably priced set of IRS rear swing arms. People have been trying to retire selling those things...
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Ask whomever you're getting it from to cut it as large as possible. It's better to have too much, than not enough.

I second that. Sometimes you don't realize how much you really need until you sit down to cut and weld.

Looks like you will have a nice straight car after replacing the hacks. The rear and front aprons look really real nice. I look forward to seeing you save this car Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I finally picked up the sheet metal cuts from a early Type 3 i'll be using to repair the tube chassis work done in the front. The sheet metal is a little different from the earlier type 3s to the late type 3s due to relocating the gas filler nozzle and the hood profile changing but seems to be close enough to make it work.
current state:

Firewall (2 sections top and bottom)

Passenger side patch

Driver side patch

working on building a support for the front end when i cut out the tube chassis frame holding the front-end straight and up. Going to tack weld things together with my dinky 110v unsheilded welder so we can load it back onto a trailer to take to my Dad's shop to finish things up with his new spool gun welder. I'm still looking for front and rear suspension so hopefully we can temporary reassemble the rolling chassis for the return trip. Shooting for Summer of 2020 to have it drivable and unknown when i get things painted and finished.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Not too much to report since we have been getting blasted with snow, 30-50 mph wind and now back to sub-zero temperatures. However I did finally get to pick up my rear IRS axle assembly from a local Type 3 guy.

It is a drum rear assembly but he had recently rebuilt part of the assembly for use on his own car before he found himself a disc rear assembly to swap in. Swing arms are currently set to two outer notches lower. I will be cleaning up the axle for fresh paint in the spring before i test fit it. however at the moment I don't have space due to have 3 cars , spare parts and a broken oven sitting in my garage.... gotta love dead of winter. Rolling Eyes
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
Not too much to report since we have been getting blasted with snow, 30-50 mph wind and now back to sub-zero temperatures. However I did finally get to pick up my rear IRS axle assembly from a local Type 3 guy.

It is a drum rear assembly but he had recently rebuilt part of the assembly for use on his own car before he found himself a disc rear assembly to swap in. Swing arms are currently set to two outer notches lower. I will be cleaning up the axle for fresh paint in the spring before i test fit it. however at the moment I don't have space due to have 3 cars , spare parts and a broken oven sitting in my garage.... gotta love dead of winter. Rolling Eyes

I hear you. I've got 2 cars partly apart in my own garage, while I'm waiting on parts for both of them. Add in the sub 32*F temps and 30 mph sustained winds, and I'm in a holding pattern. Nothing to do but collect parts and drink beer. Wink
The rear sub looks good. Hopefully all of the mounts are still in place so you can bolt it straight back on. You might want to check it when you get a chance. You'll need the rubber mounting bushings, steel washers and bolts, to bolt it up though.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

I actually have the old beam still mounted to the car still. I probably have most of that assuming any of it is still good.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
I actually have the old beam still mounted to the car still. I probably have most of that assuming any of it is still good.

Ok, I see it now in your 2nd pic. That means you just have to search for the 2 shock tower upper and lower bushings (per side), 2 flat washers, 2 lock washers and the 2 bolts. That should be easier. Maybe Mike Fisher can help you out on them. If not contact Joel (Boo-Koo-Z), or even ISP WEST for them.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Absoluteyeti wrote:

I hear you. I've got 2 cars partly apart in my own garage, while I'm waiting on parts for both of them. Add in the sub 32*F temps and 30 mph sustained winds, and I'm in a holding pattern. Nothing to do but collect parts and drink beer. Wink

This is why you need to buy parts prior to winter... then when the two months of summer hit you can be ready to cruise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Fastback (Project OutlaVw) Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Absoluteyeti wrote:

This is why you need to buy parts prior to winter... then when the two months of summer hit you can be ready to cruise!

The cars in the garage aren't even mine. Surprised Mine are sitting out in the ice (snow melted).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: