Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Beam Issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: High Beam Issue Reply with quote

Hello

My Van has a problem with the headlamps. It is intermittent. sometimes the blue high beam indicator bulb glows dim when on low beam, on high beam it glows bright. When the blue bulb is dim, with lights set to low beam, I get all four headlights turned on, but the outer larger lights are at the low setting, it just is the inner headlights are also on. when I then switch to high beam, the blue bulb gets bright, the outer headlights go to bright mode, and the inner headlights stay on.

So in high beam mode it acts normal, but in low beam mode it acts wrong with a dim blue light and the inner headlights on, and outer lights on low beam power.

this recently started doing this every now and then. What causes this?

This is a 1986 model with square headlights. It had the headlight relay kit installed about five years ago with higher watt bulbs from Van Cafe.

Thank you
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: High Beam Issue Reply with quote

I had same problem it was the connector to the blue foil on the gauges. Reset that and it fixed it.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: High Beam Issue Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a bad main headlight ground. Expose the wiring to one of the headlights. Find the brown wire at the headlight. Strip away a 1/2" of insulation on the brown wire to expose copper wire inside. Wrap the bare end of a spare piece of wire around the exposed copper. Attach the other bare end of the spare piece of wire to a headlight mounting screw. Test that your problem is fixed or not. If that helped make a more permanent repair.

Mark

zerotofifty wrote:
Hello

My Van has a problem with the headlamps. It is intermittent. sometimes the blue high beam indicator bulb glows dim when on low beam, on high beam it glows bright. When the blue bulb is dim, with lights set to low beam, I get all four headlights turned on, but the outer larger lights are at the low setting, it just is the inner headlights are also on. when I then switch to high beam, the blue bulb gets bright, the outer headlights go to bright mode, and the inner headlights stay on.

So in high beam mode it acts normal, but in low beam mode it acts wrong with a dim blue light and the inner headlights on, and outer lights on low beam power.

this recently started doing this every now and then. What causes this?

This is a 1986 model with square headlights. It had the headlight relay kit installed about five years ago with higher watt bulbs from Van Cafe.

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: