Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear mosquito net snap question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

Two snaps fell out of the aft most panel on the drivers side. They are for the driver side part of the mosquito net. My question is, are they pop riveted into the wood or are they actually somehow inserted into the sheet metal also?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

I drove my Westy to work, back in a flash with a photo or two. Mine are riveted to the metal edge if I am remembering right. .. I have been quite aggravated with the aftermarket replacement I got from one of the big vendors, 3 backs and forths, and still can't actually snap all of them.. at least one pops off every time. I'll edit in a few min with photos.

edit #1: got pics, gmail is 'syncing' for too long.. but I'll tell you that they all are riveted, I would assume THROUGH the board into the metal. The top ones for sure, since there is no board there.

edit #2 Anyway, here they are, finally.. Oh, and the answer to my problem is called a extend-a-snap, like $6 for 3 or 5 bits.. Not sure of other alternatives, but I guess drilling the rivets and creating a bit of a stand-off and screw another on, or perhaps a special length rivet allowing it to stand out a bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-bobby

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

Lol thanks! I was kind of guessing they go through the metal too.

bobbyblack wrote:
I drove my Westy to work, back in a flash with a photo or two. Mine are riveted to the metal edge if I am remembering right. .. I have been quite aggravated with the aftermarket replacement I got from one of the big vendors, 3 backs and forths, and still can't actually snap all of them.. at least one pops off every time. I'll edit in a few min with photos.

edit #1: got pics, gmail is 'syncing' for too long.. but I'll tell you that they all are riveted, I would assume THROUGH the board into the metal. The top ones for sure, since there is not board there.

-bobby

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

I am pretty sure mine snaps go into the metal.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

They go into the metal. Replacements easily available from Ace hardware etc. I've replaced several of mine - just drill out the pop-rivet and use a suitably sized metal screw. A gob of caulk around the screw helps to prevent any future corrosion.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

^^^ same here ^^^

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

The snaps are #24 snaps, and can be found at fabric stores.
They are attached with sheet metal screws.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mosquito net snap question Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: