Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Orientation of generator and hold down strap
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

It's a F'ing band clamp.

You guys need to get a life. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's a F'ing band clamp.

You guys need to get a life. Wink

Yes sir just install any old way it doesn’t matter 😀
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Because this is a tight area you may need to resort to cheats like this. Here you are using putty wrapped around bolt head then stuck to ratcheting 10mm box end wrench.
[....]
Install into the wrench, now you can line up with the hole after installing top two bolts use a finger and to press on bolthead and activate the ratchet, other hand to turn clockwise, tedious but it does work.

The bottom bolts are hard to reach but I’d give it a shot or loosen fan shroud or remove pedestal studs.

I see your cheat and raise you mine, read it in the handyman magazine, use a small piece of plastic (baggie/shopping bag/etc) in the same fashion. Not sticky and will hold bolt in place and then freely give up once you are done. Here I did it with a socket, but it can also be done with a ratchet if one is careful.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT

Also saw a guy stick a magnet to his screwdriver and socket to make it magnetic, then removed the magnet when he was done, thereby only making the tool magnetic when the magnet was applied.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
roman_dolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Useful info,
My strap came loose, interesting sounds! Of course found my gen is clocked at 10 so I want to set it correctly at 2 O’clock
My question is, to save me either dropping the engine or pulling the carb etc. Is possible to just undo the fan nut from behind the fan housing, then pulling forward the generator turning it to 2 o’clock and then doing the fan nut up again.

Has anyone done this.
Many thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

The fan will not prevent the generator assembly from rotating in the shroud. Once you have the four M10 screws removed you should be able to rotate it around with the fan installed. But since the generator is bolted to the backing plate, you have to REMOVE all four of those screws, and to do that you have to lift the shroud up a couple of inches... so you'll have to make room to do so, (remove carb, disconnect thermostat if you have one) sorry to say.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roman_dolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Damn. That’s the W/e done
Very many thanks
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

OH! This one time, at band clamp....

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Once you have the four M10 screws

M6 machine bolts. They have a 10mm hex head.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I use M6 bolts that also have a slot for a screwdriver. If need be, make a slot

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Glenn wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I use M6 bolts that also have a slot for a screwdriver. If need be, make a slot

Why can't you use a ratcheting 10mm box wrench?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Why can't you use a ratcheting 10mm box wrench?

Those were not readily available back then, now I have several.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
roman_dolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Ha, well turns out my generator wasn’t bolted to the. backing plate After all!, in fact the backing plate was only attached to the fan shroud by 2 engine tin screws.
Figured out why it was clocked at 10:00, wiring harness not long enough to get to 2:00.

Plus had to replace the carb gaskets and diagrams, as noticed a leak prob from the choke diaphragm when I was parked half up on the curb.

Anyway all sorted now, and all pretty straightforward.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Seems all that really matters is where the vent goes at 6 o clock. Band clamp...I would put that wherever it would be easiest to get at and or look good.
Going back to sipping beer now, thanks for the info and fun.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:
Seems all that really matters is where the vent goes at 6 o clock. Band clamp...I would put that wherever it would be easiest to get at and or look good.
Going back to sipping beer now, thanks for the info and fun.

And this is why VWs are hacked to death by folks that have no training. Aren’t you glad commercial and military aviation maintenance gets done by the book?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
the strap should be installed a certain way. The strap is another item that gets thrown on any old way but upon closer examination it’s a pre formed piece and has bends in two places to fit the pedestal, install it wrong and it stresses the clamp and breaks eventually.

Old timer "Cuss" knows that the original factory generator straps had a short "flatter" section maybe 75mm long (going from memory); that section fits under the ledge on the generator stand, and the 8mm x 1.25mm bolt would be on the right side of the generator, to access with 13mm socket/extension and 13mm box wrench on the bottom (nut).
Jubilee Kafer 1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Apparently, up here in Canada ...
Volkswagen had recommended a summer and winter generator position.
It even had a reminder sticker for the glove-box.
Looks like you were to rotate the generator counter clockwise 2 inches.
Can you just loosen the generator strap and slide the generator ?
Or do you would you need to rotate the gen an entire bolt hole ?

I wonder if the same applies to the alternator ?
Cheers Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
the strap should be installed a certain way. The strap is another item that gets thrown on any old way but upon closer examination it’s a pre formed piece and has bends in two places to fit the pedestal, install it wrong and it stresses the clamp and breaks eventually.

Old timer "Cuss" knows that the original factory generator straps had a short "flatter" section maybe 75mm long (going from memory); that section fits under the ledge on the generator stand, and the 8mm x 1.25mm bolt would be on the right side of the generator, to access with 13mm socket/extension and 13mm box wrench on the bottom (nut).

That is correct the hold down OEM strap was not installed any old way because is was preformed to be installed one way. About 50 to 75 percent of what you see is someone rotates the clamp so bolt and nut is at 12 o clock position which does two things. 1 causes the strap to be cold worked bent which increases the likelihood of breakage and 2 creates a chaffing on the wiring harness which can arc and cause a fire. But hey fuck it because it’s just a band clamp right?

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Orientation of generator and hold down strap Reply with quote

Jubilee Kafer 1985 wrote:

Apparently, up here in Canada ...
Volkswagen had recommended a summer and winter generator position.
It even had a reminder sticker for the glove-box.
Looks like you were to rotate the generator counter clockwise 2 inches.
Can you just loosen the generator strap and slide the generator ?
Or do you would you need to rotate the gen an entire bolt hole ?

I wonder if the same applies to the alternator ?
Cheers Cool

You can't rotate it 2" on an upright engine - Beetle/Bus/Ghia
You would have to rotate it 90 degrees along with the back plate and other parts.
This would be more than 2"

The above is for a Type 3, Squareback/Fastback/Notchback/Type 34, engine which doesn't have a backing plate and you can rotate it at will.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: