Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So my plan was to put off looking into this for a while still, but I just came across a guy with a very nearly complete complete 83' 944 roller (no seats, engine or MC, everything else is being parted out) for $500 and figured I should ask now.

I am debating converting to 944 breaks on my 74' standard and want to make sure im not missing anything for the conversion when I am talking with the guy as even in my more extensive reading on the topic im having trouble finding a comprehensive list. Here is my list of what I need for the conversion so far. Am I missing anything?

Completed list:

rotors+calipers
rear trailing arms
spring plates
backing plates
e-brake setup
e-brake cable from the rear axle

How should I check what parts are still good? I dont have a place to store the car or I would 100% just get the whole thing and take my sweet time figuring out what to use.

FWIW, I am not planning on even using the parts for ~6 months when I overhaul the rear suspension, have a much better idea of what I will be doing, and can get front spindles for the brakes machined/MC ordered.

Bit of a side question. Can you convert the 944 tranny to work in a bug? With the whole car going for $500 I figured it may be worth an ask even if I need to have it rebuilt.

Last edited by Eskamobob1 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

The flanges on the tranny for the CVs. Heres a thread about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-202493--.html

Tranny can be made to work in a Bug, but it is a really big project! Big! Get the engine to, to hook up to the tranny.

I actually was considering this, on my current project. But the cost to convert is huge! You need to get the tranny mount points off of the 914, so that you can weld them into the Bug's pan. Like I said, big project!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The flanges on the tranny for the CVs. Heres a thread about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-202493--.html

Tranny can be made to work in a Bug, but it is a really big project! Big! Get the engine to, to hook up to the tranny.

I actually was considering this, on my current project. But the cost to convert is huge! You need to get the tranny mount points off of the 914, so that you can weld them into the Bug's pan. Like I said, big project!

Ty for the link. I had found that thread before but I guess maybe not super closely. It seems like the absolute best way to do it is to take the spring plates, rear trailing arms (for extra adjustment ability), rotors, backing plates, calipers, and brake lines. I am getting to go look at the car and try and take what I need this sunday and I am thinking about just taking the entire rear suspension (looks like once you disconnect the brake lines and CVs the entire rear torsion tube, trailing arms and all, come off with just 6 bolts. Then I just need to get the swans and front spindle machined by Vdub engr.

As for the transmission, upon further research it looks like a conversion to front shift is just far more trouble than its worth so ima leave it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

I would get the back half of the car. Throw away what you dont use or sell it on tS.

Think more on that tranny conversion. That is a hefty transmission and will handle alot of power. Well worth it if you want reliability.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I would get the back half of the car. Throw away what you dont use or sell it on tS.

Think more on that tranny conversion. That is a hefty transmission and will handle alot of power. Well worth it if you want reliability.

I just talked to the guy and he pulled the entire rear already it seems, so that is the plan. Figure at the very least it will give me extra torsion bars and I can sell/trash the tube its self.

I litteraly cant find a way at all to make the transmission a front shift though. Have you seen any info on it? If I can figure that out I will 100% grab it as well, but without that im kinda at a loss.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you convert the 914 tranny to work in a bug

Are you asking about a 914 aircooled, mid-engined Porsche; or the same 944 which is being parted out?
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Can you convert the 914 tranny to work in a bug

Are you asking about a 914 aircooled, mid-engined Porsche; or the same 944 which is being parted out?

944z I completely missed that mistake in my OP
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

Sorry man. I am out. My knowledge regarding 944s is very limited. 914, I know some stuff. 944, next to nothing. Sorry.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sorry man. I am out. My knowledge regarding 944s is very limited. 914, I know some stuff. 944, next to nothing. Sorry.

No worries man. I realized I typed it wrong in the OP. Turns out the 944 is not reversible nor easily convertable from a side shift to a front shift either FWIW, so ima just put off a new tranny for a while
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: early 944 brake/rear suspension conversion for IRS beetle? Reply with quote

No worries!

It all good. You gained some knowledge. That is never bad, if it does not cost you anything.

Take it easy!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: