Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

Many years ago some people installed American car or other non-VW alternators on their Baja Bugs for running many lights.
This may date back to the days before VW switched to an alternator to replace the out dated generator.
So, I'm thinking a modern, high amp alternator may be a cost effective alternative to an expensive, high amp aftermarket alternator.
Of course, it wouldn't mount where a stock VW alternator mounts. Custom brackets would need to be fabricated and a longer belt or second belt would be needed.
I'm wondering if anyone here has done this. How do you like it?

Here is a picture of an old kit I recently saw at a VW Show. I didn't buy it. Probably should have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

It's been done a dozen different ways.

https://thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7412624

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

mkparker wrote:
It's been done a dozen different ways.

https://thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7412624

Saw that. Not really the information I'm looking for.

Maybe someone who is using a non VW alternator could post pictures showing how they mounted it and wired it.
Pros and cons.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

I wouldn’t do it. Go the other way, vw alternator, and modern LED lights.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

Looks like I might need to search through some old publications from the '60s and '70s for the information I'm looking for.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

This version looks like what those brackets you found do, but I like this better. IT doesn't rely on that crazy long belt all the way across the engine..

risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

Here are a few.. google image search of chevy alternator on thesamba.com

just type your search terms into google, space, then site:thesamba.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=chevy+alternator+s...mp;bih=621

This trick works for any website.

The mount kit you showed only supports the front of the alternator.. seems like you would need to brace the back too to keep it aligned with the belt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

The more you reduce the belt wrap angle on the fan pulley, the sooner it will slip.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

Why not just use a air condition pulley, then you would not have to stretch a belt all the way around all three, it might turn it a bit slow but it wouldn't be as much off a drag at idle and up until you get into the mid-range.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

What are you planning to run off the alternator, killer 5000W 8-track sound system?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
What are you planning to run off the alternator, killer 5000W 8-track sound system?

Yes.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

I saw your alt blew out the other day yea? Switch over to a 38 amp generator. I've had less problems with my 38 than the 6 alternators I've burned.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
This version looks like what those brackets you found do, but I like this better. IT doesn't rely on that crazy long belt all the way across the engine..

That would burn a motor up in short order. Think of it this way, I've seen built motors make an extra 15-20hp at the tires by disconnecting the fan belt on an ACVW. So if that fan takes at least 15hp to turn, how is that little bit of belt wrap going to do the job?
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

You want to stay away from anything newer than 2006...I saw a video on YouTube where the guy was saying that for fuel economy, modern alternators don't put out 14.1V anymore, they put out like 13.2+,somewhere in that neighborhood. ..just a FYI Very Happy
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

That’s probably true, made possible by the fact that automakers have embraced LED lights, and modern electronics. High charge voltages aren’t needed on new cars anymore.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

How about a serpentine setup with a longer belt for the 2nd alternator?

Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

That would be the better option, because you can snake the belt around to wherever you mount the second alternator. You just need to make sure you have adequate belt wrap on the stock generator pulley to keep the fan spinning.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

How about placing the alternator like a power steering pump on an offroad racer?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Alternator: Modern Car Alternator on a Type 1 Engine Reply with quote

AC pulley with secondary belt is likely your best bet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: