Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake adjuster screws
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

I am working on wrapping up my brake job and when I put it back together noticed I have the slanted brake adjuster screws but the straight brake shoes. I was going to just get a set of straight screws and swap them out on the thinking that in the future I might end up with angled shoes and being able to just swap them back in would be nice. Is that a bad idea?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

huh? slanted brake adjust screws? They are all the same except thin or thick slot
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
huh? slanted brake adjust screws? They are all the same except thin or thick slot

Angled or sloped then? Some the slot is deeper on one side then it is on the other.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

No problems switching them as long as they match the shoes you are using

angled
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

While you are at it, super-clean the screws and star wheels, and the inside of the blocks where they ride. Then use the SLIGHTEST smear of anti-seize compound on the threads and on the block bore walls, so they spin easily. Work them round & round, and in & out, a few times through the full thread, then set them right (usually all-in to start, with new shoes. You will thank yourself next time you need to adjust them (with the drum on)!

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

got it. all of my cars have had flat replacements...

see, you can still learn stuff
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I do not agree with using wider slot register on 58-64 brakes.

The narrow slot are needed to keep the shoe in the correct position towards the drum internal surface because brake plate does not have the support for this.

Cylinder's slot and register's slots have the job to keep the shoe aligned.

Correct 58-64 cylinders DO HAVE a narrow slot. If registers are wide slot the effort of keeping the shoe in the correct angle is all in charge of the cylinder that would wear itself internally in advance.

Incorrect slot cause the shoes to be not correctly aligned (when not braking) and the registration should be "loose" to avoid shoe rubbing on drum, then the pedal gains a lot of travel before braking effect occurs.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster screws Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
While you are at it, super-clean the screws and star wheels, and the inside of the blocks where they ride. Then use the SLIGHTEST smear of anti-seize compound on the threads and on the block bore walls, so they spin easily. Work them round & round, and in & out, a few times through the full thread, then set them right (usually all-in to start, with new shoes. You will thank yourself next time you need to adjust them (with the drum on)!

Done and done. This is actually to wrap up a bigger project of doing some much neglected deep cleaning and refreshing. I actually took the stars and adjusters put a good smear on the adjusters worked them back and forth several times, gave them a good wipe, back and forth and wiped off excess again. Wanted to make sure I got all the screw surfaces with a slight coat of the anti-seize.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: