Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnboy715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Want to have the best set up for my engine. It's a single port 1500. Right now it has a 30/31 carb and an old 0-10 distributer. What is it supposed to have? What would be the best set up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my 69 bug engine.

It should have a German Solex 30-2 carb and a German Bosch 113905205T SVA distributor. It was mounted on 69 engines when delivered new and what's on mine.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the Solex 30-2 carb. I may even dump mine and put a 1970 Solex 30-3 on it as it's a superior carb. The 30-2 carb has a factory set mixture screw deep inside that is not adjustable. It's a very finicky carb and most of us long time VW folks think it's the worst 30 series carb. The 30-1 carb on 1967 bugs is the best 30 series carb IMOP. I may use one of those but I would need to add the second arm to the throttle assembly to it for the throttle positioner.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

wcfvw69 is correct. Source out the correct distributor, carb. the match is great and work quite well. I have a 68 and like the way the carb and dist works.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
johnboy715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Thanks. Beautiful looking engin compartment. I picked up a Bosch distributor 113905205M. Is that the same as the 113905205T? What is the letter at the end of the part number? What is the large cylindrical part sticking out in front of the carb ? Personally, I really like the 30-2 carb. Have one on my other bug and it works great.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

johnboy715 wrote:
Thanks. Beautiful looking engin compartment. I picked up a Bosch distributor 113905205M. Is that the same as the 113905205T? What is the letter at the end of the part number? What is the large cylindrical part sticking out in front of the carb ? Personally, I really like the 30-2 carb. Have one on my other bug and it works great.

The 205M is for a 1968 bug/bus. It uses the shorter distributor cap and different points than the 205T. It will work fine in your application. It also times to 0* like the 205T. The letter at the end identifies the year and model of the distributor.

On my engine is an original throttle positioner that all 1969 bugs delivered in the USA had installed. It's basically an early smog device. It prevents HC spikes which occur when the throttle snaps shut and cuts off the air that is supposed to burn off the accelerator pump squirt, and it helps to reduce backfiring on throttle overrun. I'm a purist and enjoy seeing all the original, restored parts in place.

Link

Here's a video I made showing it in action.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
johnboy715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West shows the 205T is for Auto-stick and 205M for manual.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/electrical_common/distributors.cfm

VW part number 113-905-205M
1968-1970 Bug and Bus (except for vehicles equipped with automatic stick shift option). This distributor looks identical to the 111-905-205-L listed above with the exception that the contact breaker points now are a 1-piece unit instead of the 2-piece units previously used. Removing the contact breaker points can easily identify this distributor. This distributor is vacuum advance only.
Contact Breaker Points 111-998-063
Condenser 111-905-295A
Cap 111-905-207C
Rotor 111-905-225F

VW part number 113-905-205-T and later
1971 and later Beetle and Bus, 1968-1970 Beetle and Bus equipped with automatic stick shift option. This distributor features vacuum and centrifugal advance properties. Almost all of the later engines use some form of this distributor, with some variations pertaining to the timing advance. Generally, this distributor is equipped with a dual acting advance/retard device, although sometimes you will find it with the smaller “advance only” unit. The tune-up components however are the same in either case.
Contact Breaker Points 311-998-063
Condenser 311-905-295C
Cap 113-905-207C
Rotor 043-905-225
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

johnboy715 wrote:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/electrical_common/distributors.cfm

VW part number 113-905-205M
1968-1970 Bug and Bus (except for vehicles equipped with automatic stick shift option). This distributor looks identical to the 111-905-205-L listed above with the exception that the contact breaker points now are a 1-piece unit instead of the 2-piece units previously used. Removing the contact breaker points can easily identify this distributor. This distributor is vacuum advance only.
Contact Breaker Points 111-998-063
Condenser 111-905-295A
Cap 111-905-207C
Rotor 111-905-225F

VW part number 113-905-205-T and later
1971 and later Beetle and Bus, 1968-1970 Beetle and Bus equipped with automatic stick shift option. This distributor features vacuum and centrifugal advance properties. Almost all of the later engines use some form of this distributor, with some variations pertaining to the timing advance. Generally, this distributor is equipped with a dual acting advance/retard device, although sometimes you will find it with the smaller “advance only” unit. The tune-up components however are the same in either case.
Contact Breaker Points 311-998-063
Condenser 311-905-295C
Cap 113-905-207C
Rotor 043-905-225

That is not correct and Wolfsburg West should be ashamed.

The 113-905-205 P was the original automatic stick shift distributor, in 1968, and as far as I know was the first SVDA distributor that VW used. This was followed by the 113-905-205 AA (US models) in 1969, and AB and AC in other areas. Then the DVDA-style AD and AE in 1970/71 (when VW came out with the single port 1600 with the 30 PICT-3 carb, which is the combo I use on my autostick), followed by the AH in later autsotick models.

The "M" and "T" distributors are BOTH vacuum only distributors used in 4 speed models in 1968-70.

If there's any doubt which is correct, the vacuum-only distributors had a shallower, thinner canister attached to them whereas the SVDA/ DVDA had thicker, deeper canisters. (And of course the DVDA models would have two ports on the canister.)

Here is a photo of the "T" (vacuum only) distributor from the classifieds:

Now here is a picture of my "AE" DVDA distributor (notice the canister difference):

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

johnboy715 wrote:

Now this is strange....
There is an inherent problem with abbreviating the distributor model and only using the 3rd set of numbers/letter... there are sometimes more than one distributor that uses the same numbers/letters Surprised

For example:
111 905 205 was a '54 Beetle distributor
131 905 205 was a '67 Bus distributor
043 905 205 was a '74 Beetle distributor
126 905 205 was a special application distributor

I think Wolfburgwest's data is incorrect. All references I can find suggest that the 113-905-205T is the '70 Beetle vacuum-only (SVA) distributor matched with the 30Pict carbs. This distributor would not work well with later 34Pict carbs.

There is some references to a 111-905-205T but when it appears it seems to be used in place of the 113-905 -205T above which suggests it was a replacement or a typo?? On this site it suggests the 113-905-205T is an SVDA with both vacuum and mechanical advance. The SAME model# cannot be both SVA and SVDA???

I used use the Oldvolkshome ignition page as my distributor reference. But since that site is down I now use this copy link.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Anyone can access the complete oldvolkshome.com website thru the Waybackmachine archives here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324145117/http://oldvolkshome.com/

RIP Jim.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Here's my 69 bug engine.

It should have a German Solex 30-2 carb and a German Bosch 113905205T SVA distributor. It was mounted on 69 engines when delivered new and what's on mine.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the Solex 30-2 carb. I may even dump mine and put a 1970 Solex 30-3 on it as it's a superior carb. The 30-2 carb has a factory set mixture screw deep inside that is not adjustable. It's a very finicky carb and most of us long time VW folks think it's the worst 30 series carb. The 30-1 carb on 1967 bugs is the best 30 series carb IMOP. I may use one of those but I would need to add the second arm to the throttle assembly to it for the throttle positioner.

I have a question for you. I also have a 205t Lon my 1979 beetle. It’s paired with a 30 pict 3. Why would there be a difference in the way our distributors are clocked?

It looks like your vacuum can faces six o’clock and mine is facing 7 o clock. I have mine timed to 0 TDC. They should have the same clocked position, no?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Frodge, the main reason you'd see a difference in the clocking of the two distributors is probably because the distributor gear drive inside the engine case is oriented a bit differently on the two engines (like, your is a tooth off from his.)
It doesn't matter, you could have that gear drive clocked any which way and it would still work as long as the spark plug wire positioning corresponds to the adjustment. You could clock your gear drive 180° out from normal and it would still work as long as you also placed the spark plug wires 180° out from where they would normally be.
In fact, looking at the two photos I'd say yours is the more correct positioning-- look at where his distributor cap clips are, that right side one is just going to hit the fuel pump stand when it's unclipped. Yours is free and clear, the way it's supposed to be.

1600 SP engine
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Frodge, the main reason you'd see a difference in the clocking of the two distributors is probably because the distributor gear drive inside the engine case is oriented a bit differently on the two engines (like, your is a tooth off from his.)
It doesn't matter, you could have that gear drive clocked any which way and it would still work as long as the spark plug wire positioning corresponds to the adjustment. You could clock your gear drive 180° out from normal and it would still work as long as you also placed the spark plug wires 180° out from where they would normally be.
In fact, looking at the two photos I'd say yours is the more correct positioning-- look at where his distributor cap clips are, that right side one is just going to hit the fuel pump stand when it's unclipped. Yours is free and clear, the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks for the confirmation on that. I thought the way mine was in is more correct clocking. I appreciate that response. Weirdly, it looks like his distributor gear is 45 degrees off, is that even possible?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation on that. I thought the way mine was in is more correct clocking. I appreciate that response. Weirdly, it looks like his distributor gear is 45 degrees off, is that even possible?

If I remember correctly, there are 12 teeth on the distributor drive gear. So, one tooth off would = 30° variance in distributor positioning. Again, the positioning of the drive gear down inside the case doesn't really matter because you end up turning the distributor body to compensate for that variance when setting timing. So one tooth off basically means your #1 plug wire may end up being more of a 2:00 position where his ends up being more of a 1:00 position. The only real issue I see with having the drive gear not "perfect" is having to turn the distributor body to a point which does not allow for easy removal of the distributor cap, or if it's so far off that the vacuum canister ends up hitting the engine case, etc.

1600 SP engine
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally understand what you’re saying. It’s just when I looked at that beauty of an engine, I started to wonder about my own timing, because I know the drive gear is correct on mine.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
I think Wolfburgwest's data is incorrect. All references I can find suggest that the 113-905-205T is the '70 Beetle vacuum-only (SVA) distributor matched with the 30Pict carbs. This distributor would not work well with later 34Pict carbs.

There is some references to a 111-905-205T but when it appears it seems to be used in place of the 113-905 -205T above which suggests it was a replacement or a typo?? On this site it suggests the 113-905-205T is an SVDA with both vacuum and mechanical advance. The SAME model# cannot be both SVA and SVDA???

I used use the Oldvolkshome ignition page as my distributor reference. But since that site is down I now use this copy link.

the 111 905 205 T and the 113 905 205 T use different vacuum cans and should be timed different.
I had a discussion with tasb about this, but can not find the thread.
See this for difference: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1614888
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Correct carb. And distributer set up for '69 bug Reply with quote

I would like to add that the pict 30-2 carb is good, as long as it has been cleaned and rebuilt. To do a full cleaning, you do need to remove the non user accessible primary idle mixture screw on the passenger side of the carb. This little operation is not easy to do, but once done and access is then available for adjustment, I find that the carb is great!.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: