Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Sandy and I stopped by Urabus today, partly to confirm that this shop is as real as my impression of John was on the phone.

Confirmed! Colorado is lucky to have this shop, John and his brother Jeremy are exceptional people dedicated to exceptional work. These guys live and breathe buses, are a good four decades younger than the shop owners we all see retiring of late, and have some pretty special wares in the making...

Sometimes, rarely, it doesn't take a test project to trust those we hire to care for our valued rigs. This is one of those times. They are so hired.

All the Best to Urabus! 👍🏼😎👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

I called Comprehensive Car Care & Jeno's Auto Service today and neither would work on my 84 Vanagon. Painters Grinding was backed up 3 weeks.

I contacted Wright's German Motors and they said they will work on my Van. I'm having them change the rear brake pads. I'll report back when it's complete.

Wright's German Motors Inc
5609 Lamar St
Arvada, CO, 80002
Phone: (303) 420-2123
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

driverdave wrote:
I called Comprehensive Car Care & Jeno's Auto Service today and neither would work on my 84 Vanagon. Painters Grinding was backed up 3 weeks.

I contacted Wright's German Motors and they said they will work on my Van. I'm having them change the rear brake pads. I'll report back when it's complete.

5609 Lamar St
Arvada, CO, 80002

May we assume that you've upgraded to rear disc brakes?
If not, you've got shoes back there, not pads.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
May we assume that you've upgraded to rear disc brakes?
If not, you've got shoes back there, not pads.

Hence the reason I'm having a shop do this Wink

It's been about 30 years since I've worked with drum brakes.

I remember not enjoying the process, but have forgotten they are called shoes.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

driverdave wrote:

5609 Lamar St
Arvada, CO, 80002

Now known as Arvada German Garage. Mr. Wright was a great mechanic and an all-around nice fella; I've heard that the guys who took over the shop from him are stand-up guys as well.

For the record, 5280 Motorsports near I-70 and Pecos will also work on Vanagons; I saw a fellow Fbook group member's van there a couple of weeks back. They were trying to find a pesky gas tank leak for him. They're also good people, although sadly they were quite repulsed by the idea of doing a 928 timing belt for me.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Thank you, very much, for this useful information. I greatly appreciate the updates.

Steve Horvath at Jeno's lost his European Auto tech, leaving but one person there who can work on a Vanagon--Steve, the owner, who with all the good will in the world has more pressing demands on his time.

The pointer to Wright's/Arvada German is most welcome. I'll keep looking and making inquiries for other mechanics in the Denver metro area.

Best!
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Got the van back from Arvada German Garage (formerly Wright's).

Rear brakes were $850 with parts & labor. Parts seems a bit steep at $434 for wheel cylinders, drums, shoes and fluid. $230 from gowesty, but I'm not sure what they are selling compared to what I got. Labor came in at $366.

Had a CV joint click that they said looked fine to leave as is.

Work seems good. Prices seem a bit steep, maybe they are normal? I haven't gotten brake work done at a shop in... can't remember. I was under a time crunch and couldn't shop around. In fact, after calling around a few shops, I was relieved to find a shop that would even work on the van!

Anyways... good to know they are there and available as an option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: