Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pump gasket
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daviscpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Got a '64 Beetle and the oil pump cover leaks. It also has one of the studs broken off. So I need a little help....I have looked all over the internet, but have yet to locate a cover gasket for a '64..any suggestions? Also, looks like I need to take the pump off to fix the stud, would it be wise to just replace the pump with a new one? Or is that just over kill? Car runs fine, but I have no idea what the oil pressure is.
thanks for any help
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Daviscpa wrote:
Got a '64 Beetle and the oil pump cover leaks. It also has one of the studs broken off.

First - you MUST determine what size engine you have in that 1964. Post photos. post engine number, just below generator stands.

Earlier engines use 6mm x 1.0mm studs, later use 8mm x 1.25mm.

Yes, likely you'll need to remove the oil pump to extract that broken stud, you'll need an oil puller tool, under $10. And if you're doing that, you may want to consider a combination pump/filter unit. For those you'd pull all 4 studs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Daviscpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

It's a stock engine, 1200 and still 6v. Pretty sure it has the 6mm studs. Never thought about the puller tool, but certainly sounds like I'll need that.
So any idea who sells gaskets?
thanks.
Daviscpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

I'll post the engine number shortly
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

There is an oil pump for sale for $25. I would change it out. Casey
Daviscpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Engine # is 8697231...hope that helps.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Daviscpa wrote:
You may have to buy a complete engine gasket set to get those 6mm oil pump gaskets. Not very common to see the 6mm gaskets sold separately.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engine-Gasket-Set-40hp-Engines-111-198-005-p/111-198-005.htm

Applying a THIN film of sealer (Curil T or equiv) to both sides of the cover-to-pump gasket will help prevent leakage.

Daviscpa wrote:
Engine # is 8697231
That would be a correct engine # for a 1964 1200cc, 40HP Beetle.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Daviscpa wrote:
It's a stock engine, 1200 and still 6v. Pretty sure it has the 6mm studs. Never thought about the puller tool, but certainly sounds like I'll need that.
thanks.

Just PM me your name and address and I'll mail you a set. No charge.
I have several from gasket kits form repair and engine builds I have done over the last couple of years.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

And the Samba karma comes through again! Way to go, rustavenger! Very Happy

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Daviscpa wrote:
thanks.

You can get paper gasket sheets from your FLAPS for the pump body to engine case. As for the oil pump to cover gasket, yellow pages work just dandy for that. An Exacto knife is a great tool to have to cut out the gaskets.
Daviscpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help....and parts.
Really appreciated.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

the pump can be checked for wear, Id not replace it unless it is proven to be worn badly.

the top cover gasket is supposed to be VERY THIN, the pump to engine gasket is thick. do not mix them up. too thick a cover gasket will result in reduced oil pressure!

use of sealant on gasket can block the guard ring around the pump. this guard ring is designed to supply suction into the ring to intercept leaks from the high pressure side of the pump do not allow ring to be filled with sealer.
the thin gasket for cover is from .002 to.003 inch typically. some aftermarket kits supply too thick a gasket.

you can cut your own gasket, using the old one or the lid as a template. as stated, many autoparts stores have gasket sheets for sale.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Daviscpa,
Did the gaskets make it yet?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Couple of potential issues to be aware of based on my experience earlier this year...

1) If you buy one of the Empi pullers, you might want to buy two so you’ll be able to complete the extraction with the second one when the first one breaks. Crying or Very sad Also, You may have to modify their puller by grinding down the wings so it will fit.

2) if you loosen the case nuts adjacent to the oil pump, it will make it easier to Install the pump. However, you’ll run the risk of causing case seam leaks even though you tighten everything back down to spec Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: