Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I jumped on the bandwagon with these CDH's and got my 2kw fired up on the 'test stand' this morning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even with temps at -19F, it fired up no problem running off kerosene. Can't wait to install it in the Adventurewagen!!
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Running them on gas is doable, but they don't necessarily like it. This guy has many CDH videos and knows his stuff:
https://youtu.be/ijm2osC6gDA

Here is my CDH vanagon install. I have a 2kW version and when I tested it around 65 F, the air coming out was almost too hot. Now at 28 F the air coming out isn't hot enough. I may need to tune it some.
https://youtu.be/xdjCyB6JzQU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

The return side is filtered while the engine is running. When not running the heater pump is drawing fuel from the unfiltered side of the return line that is into the fuel tank.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
n2wheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

hello guys... check out my 'removeable' unit.. its been working fine, still haven't tried the real test at altitude..

comment on the video are appreciated!!

https://youtu.be/PP94EeQywZw
'78 scirocco
'66 T2 panel dead tour vehicle, 'mr bus'
'67 13 window
'95 eurocamper 'charlie' (phish tour vehicle)
'03 Mk4 TDI 'steve'
'04 W8 Phaeton 'david'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

FYI for those of you posting Youtube vid links
Thesamba has a youtube code on the far right so it'll post and play here in the forum.

n2wheelies wrote:
hello guys... check out my 'removeable' unit.. its been working fine, still haven't tried the real test at altitude..

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n2wheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

THANK YOU DAN !! Very Happy
'78 scirocco
'66 T2 panel dead tour vehicle, 'mr bus'
'67 13 window
'95 eurocamper 'charlie' (phish tour vehicle)
'03 Mk4 TDI 'steve'
'04 W8 Phaeton 'david'
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

This isn't really the intended use-case for these heaters, but I just ran a 5KW for several days straight keeping the main living area of my (small, 600sq/ft) house warm after the power went out Sunday evening. Everything in the house is electric so it was kind of a "desperation" measure to keep us from having to go to a hotel/motel for an unknown length of time. I mounted the unit to a piece of scrap particleboard using the metal plate that came with the heater, making sure there was good clearance from the exhaust to the particleboard material. Stuck the board in the living room window, with the fuel pump, tank and combustion intake/exhaust outside, pair of batteries (deep cycle from the camper, regular battery from the spare/fun car) on a piece of scrap plywood on the living room floor, charger on an extension cord running from the neighbor's generator to keep the batteries charged.

I had it in the window and running around 9am Monday and turned it off around 1pm Saturday (today). Ran it on straight diesel from the station down the road, which in Oregon is a 95%/5% petro/biodiesel blend. I ran it mostly ticking over at 2.0-2.2Hz with a daily 15-20 minute blast to 5.5Hz (full blast), and it kept the house at a nice 70F average. Used maybe five gallons of fuel but I wasn't exactly keeping track beyond "don't run out of fuel". No signs of sooting when I looked in through the exhaust port with the borescope camera, so I don't think I'm even going to bother doing a bench teardown to look inside.

This was a ~$100ish eBay heater kit I ordered from a random seller that had been selling a long time and had a good feedback rating. It had been installed in the garage as a "shop heater", but I hadn't used it much before Snowmageddon hit so this was the first real run that I'd done with it. OEM pump, glow plug, temp sensor, LCD controller, yada yada yada.

So .. yeah. These things just work.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I jumped on the bandwagon with these CDH's and got my 2kw fired up on the 'test stand' this morning.

Even with temps at -19F, it fired up no problem running off kerosene. Can't wait to install it in the Adventurewagen!!

How loud is the exhaust and how smokey on diesel?

Anyone in Vancouver, BC have one of these they could demo for me in person?

Last edited by sphet on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Yep, my experience has been similarly...glowing. My 5kw unit is mounted under the van, so it's potentially been exposed to excessive moisture, road debris strikes and lots of jarring vibrations. It works every time. My only complaint is that the controllers don't have a means of turning themselves off when not being used, which is a really stupid oversight. I just wired an on/off switch in the 12v pos line into the controller.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
My only complaint is that the controllers don't have a means of turning themselves off when not being used, which is a really stupid oversight. I just wired an on/off switch in the 12v pos line into the controller.

Which wire is the 12v positive line going to the controller? Are the other two lines for ground, and communication? I'd like to add a switch on mine as well.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Yep, my experience has been similarly...glowing. My 5kw unit is mounted under the van, so it's potentially been exposed to excessive moisture, road debris strikes and lots of jarring vibrations. It works every time.

I've had a 5KW in the camper for years and been very happy with it other than the LCD display brightness -- as long as I don't park under a tree, the solar panel keeps the aux battery topped up even in the winter, so battery drain hasn't been a concern for me. But, the heater in the camper has also been tuned with a CO meter for optimal combustion and only ever fed kerosene, along with a bit of other futzing to really dial it in.

The one I just turned off this afternoon was pretty much straight from the box, and while in the garage I initially ran it on kerosene, this "endurance run" saw it being fed the same pump diesel from Freddie's as my neighbor's truck. I didn't even think to check that the bolts holding the fan assembly to the main body were tight, and I've seen those loose from the factory more than once. Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
My only complaint is that the controllers don't have a means of turning themselves off when not being used, which is a really stupid oversight. I just wired an on/off switch in the 12v pos line into the controller.

Which wire is the 12v positive line going to the controller? Are the other two lines for ground, and communication? I'd like to add a switch on mine as well.

I think it's the red or pink wire, but I can't remember. I'd go look, but my wife has the van 2hrs away until tomorrow.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

When I got my heater, I completely tore it down to inspect fan/housing clearances among other quality control concerns. I even took my Dremel to the burner housing castings, to deburr the cooling fins. I added sealant to the various seams. I'm also in the process of buying lots of spare parts...just in case. The heater has just been an absolute game-changer for our cool weather camping excursions.

y u rune klassik?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

[quote="Zeitgeist ]... The heater has just been an absolute game-changer for our cool weather camping excursions.[/quote]

What's a Chinese heater doing in your German vehicle!?!?!? 😋

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

it's not like there's a superior german equivalent to put in and maintain marque integrity. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

If I have to explain my design aesthetic to you, then you'll probably just never understand. Pleasing the likes of you two isn't really high up there in my personal priorities. Now shoo...

y u rune klassik?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I concur that this heater has been a game changer for living in the van. During the recent cold snap it got down to 1ºF and I got to see my 5kW unit get a real workout. Since mine is mounted outside it pulls in frigid air, I discovered that when set to 4hz of fueling it is barely able to keep the van warm at 1º ambient (tintop, no insulation). Of course, I could always turn it up to 5k or higher. But the point is, for ambient temps lower than zero it is advised to recirculate for more heating.

My only real complaint is the display is so dim I can’t see anything in daylight. I even ordered a spare but it is just as dim. I suppose it is intentional to save power.

I would also say that I am pulling diesel from the tank and usage has been negligible during the cold snap. I didn’t even notice any fuel drop even when running the heater 48 hours.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

n2wheelies wrote:

https://youtu.be/PP94EeQywZw

Glad it's working for you, although it strikes me as cumbersome...??? <shrug>

FWIW: It'd be much quieter if you put the muffler(s) outside near the end of the exhaust.
I have two inline on my install and the sound is barely noticeable on full fire... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

was wondering, is there any way to hook up heater to push hot air out of the factory climate control vents that go up top?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
was wondering, is there any way to hook up heater to push hot air out of the factory climate control vents that go up top?

Are you talking about the dash, or are you talking about the ones above the sliding door/in back?

If its mostly up front you are talking about, it might work to look into how Chris Corkins handles the fresh air flap. When the flap is engaged, there needs to be a hole cut in the side of the front heater box and a 'flapper' put in that allows air in from kind of behind/above the glove box. You might try putting your heater in there, I've seen pictures of one in that location. Not sure if the various obstructions in the air box would be too much flow restriction, but maybe you'd get a little heat to go back through the rear cabin air, if that is your objective. I'd guess heating all that duct would be a huge loss though. I don't think there is any insulation in the door duct at all.

Another way to get air flow into the rear overhead ducts would be from the rear. If you have an overhead cabinet like the A/C in a Westy, you could see about cutting into the duct inside of there. Last time I had my A/C cabinet out, I looked for a way to get cold air into that duct. It was going to be a near total loss of coldness trying to make its way to the front of the bus though, so I didn't chop into it. The duct is only a couple inches square in cross section along/above the sliding door in a tintop version. It looks bigger on a Westy, but the additional area is plugged with foam blocks or similar, and you'd have to dig all that out. If you did dig it all out, then you might have 4 square inches of duct.

I don't think the rear air ducts were intended to send anything but ambient outside air to the back. Heating or cooling would probably be a near total loss.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 64

Jump to: