Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I literally had that idea 30min ago. I made a tank from 4”PVC mounted on the door side and I rigged a hose that swings out to fill it. It works OK , but it is a two person job with one on their knees. I get about 30hrs of burn time from a tank of fuel, but it would be nice to have a better fill setup. I will never use the city connection , so it seems like a possible solution if I move my tank to the other side - I do not have propane tank anymore.

What I rally need to figure out is tank level gauge.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

It has been a while since I've seen anything about them, but maybe a year ago I saw that at least one of these companies made a 2 in 1 heater that had the regular air heater function along with a water heater function. Couldn't use water heater without air heat, though.

I've also seen people come up with inventive ways to heat water using the exhaust and some kind of heat exchanger.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I've started my CDH install and the first order of business was finding a flat surface to mount the heater underneath the rear bench. It turns out there are none. So I made an adapter to accommodate.

Point of no return, but it's an AW, so no matter. My trusty garage sale jigsaw made quick work of the sheet metal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The adapter plate ready to rivet:

Sprayed with leftover high temp paint then seam sealed:

Undercoated, with exhaust muffler mounted ready to exit:

Next move is routing the intake. Where's a good spot to place the intake filter that it won't pull in a ton-o-dust? Doesn't seem like there are many options with the included hose length.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I didn't realize you could 'untwist' the intake hose and get additional length out of it. That being said, I was able to place the filter behind a small forward facing panel to reduce the amount of dust. We'll see how this works.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Adapter plate looks great, but I gotta ask...why mount exhaust up between the frame rails?

Carbon monoxide makes me nervous... Confused

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

indeed exhaust should tuck out the side
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I just bought a second exhaust tube in order to extend the muffler output to the side and down. Cheap IIRC.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Hahaa for sure! I ran out of exhaust tubing to finish it out. It will ultimately exit right next to the jack point.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Undercoated, with exhaust muffler mounted ready to exit:

General rule is no more than 270 degrees of bends in the exhaust, and it looks like you're already there or close to it. If you're planning to add pipe beyond the muffler to exit the exhaust beyond the edge of the vehicle -- as would be prudent -- you should probably rethink your exhaust routing. Bends == restrictions, restrictions == sooting.

The air "filter" is mostly there to quiet the intake, though most of the noise is the exhaust.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I just posted in a custom aux tank thread. Here is more appropriate.

Moved the Propane tank forward. Had to trim the tabs to fit.
Installed a custom tank between propane tank and water tank outlet.
Made a 4th camper port and concealed an angled marine filler neck.
Hose runs through the "Secret Space" with water hose and outlets. Hidden.

Vent will go aft of driver's rear wheel well.
5kw CDH to externally mounted between inner rails.
Hot air to be channeled over gas tank. It will enter a steel center console in between the seats.
The hot air will split between two closable outlets, one pointing aft, one pointing forward near handbrake.
Intake is tricky. Not sure what to do yet. I really want to pull from under the fridge. On hot days, maybe I could rig the heater to just be a "fan" and then the warm fridge air could go near the handbrake.

Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Painted the tank.
Mocked the console.
Ordered up connectors, elbows, another duct section, two low profile closable outlets.
I have not resolved the air intake location. Putting it under fridge would require swooping below a rail. Pretty exposed.

joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I'm selling my brand new 5KW CDH here for a discount off the amazon price if anyones interested https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2458520.

It's brand new, I just don't think I'll need 5KW personally. This is the exact heater that Chad installs in Living the Van Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5qW9kKBLM).
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Damn that's quite the install!

My tank for the driver's side d-pillar is starting to come together.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to complete the install and verify my exhaust doesn't have too many bends!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Wow, that's a beaut. Is that center tapped hole for the breather?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Thanks Casey. I can glue stuff together but making it look good is another story! Yes, the center port is for a breather...I'm thinking a moto style fuel cap vent will do the trick.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Finished up the install and it works great! I have a feeling this thing is going to get a lot of use! Tank installed with the filter mounted to accessible space in the bay:

The finished exhaust plumbing. Any concern of the feed line being so close to the exhaust? I may add some heat barrier of some kind to play it safe.
The exhaust seems to work fine for now and hopefully the Kerosene will help prevent it from sooting too much with the additional bends.

Exhaust outlet:

Under the bench she lives! A little fan vibration at full blast but manageable for now. I still need to clean up some of the wiring, but man, that's some hot air!

I might also foam wrap the pump to mitigate the sound a bit. I have it zip tied and partially hanging, but it still seems a bit loud to fall asleep to.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

I might also foam wrap the pump to mitigate the sound a bit. I have it zip tied and partially hanging, but it still seems a bit loud to fall asleep to.

Just another ticking clock. I was worried about that too - but it turned out to be a non-problem.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
uberaudi wrote:

Just another ticking clock. I was worried about that too - but it turned out to be a non-problem.

I’m pretty sure I woke up the other night after the pump stopped ticking when it got to temp, so I like the idea of wrapping it in foam even with the rubber mount. Espar D2 but should apply to these heaters too.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

[quote="uberaudi"]Finished up the install and it works great! I have a feeling this thing is going to get a lot of use! Tank installed with the filter mounted to accessible space in the bay:

If I saw this 3 weeks ago, my entire life would be slightly different now. Very Happy
Excellent, simple solution there.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Good call!

Rorke wrote:

If I saw this 3 weeks ago, my entire life would be slightly different now. Very Happy
Excellent, simple solution there.

Can't take credit for this one...this thread is full of creative ideas. I just built upon them Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 64

Jump to: