Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't seen this spot being used for a 2kw CDH, is there a reason? It sure looks like it'd fit and I've used the power outlets about 3 times in the last 29 years. It'll fit under the water filler hose. I'm thinking put a fuel tank below, exterior, mounted underneath and possibly add a fourth square port (next to the water/electric/water filler caps) to fill the diesel tank.

Any problems with this theory, so far?

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
'85 Westfalia, 2 Jetta's, Fox, Cabriolet, Bugs
Rolled over in a '65 VW bus my mom was driving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Lot's of information there, but l didn't see anything related to heater use and driving. They all seem to call them "parking heater" Where does everyone get replacement parts from ? I get the feeling they are problematic from what l read here
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
Lot's of information there, but l didn't see anything related to heater use and driving. They all seem to call them "parking heater" Where does everyone get replacement parts from ? I get the feeling they are problematic from what l read here

I use my Espar while driving. works well

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

I haven't seen this spot being used for a 2kw CDH, is there a reason? It sure looks like it'd fit and I've used the power outlets about 3 times in the last 29 years. It'll fit under the water filler hose. I'm thinking put a fuel tank below, exterior, mounted underneath and possibly add a fourth square port (next to the water/electric/water filler caps) to fill the diesel tank.

One can tell you haven't read every page of this topic Wink ...pg 44

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9517633&highlight=#9517633

original place I posted those pics
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7446063#7446063

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

There is no particular problem with using that space for your CDH. However, there are better locations. I used that space for my LiFePo4 280 amp/hour battery and accessories. I looked at many different places where I could install the CDH (mine is a "2000" size) and under the bench seat worked nicely. The key reasons for me were:

1. Super-clean install with no "pan" required;
2. Ideal location for the hot air outlet;
3. Excellent access to the CDH for maintenance or trouble-shooting;
4. Ideal location to keep the CDH exhaust system short. Longer exhaust systems slow exhaust gases exiting the CDH.

Here's that space you show in your pic which, in my rig, houses the lithium battery:

Here's where I installed my CDH:

I cut out the Westfalia "wood" floor beneath the CDH so that I did not have to fabricate a circular "pan".

I also fabricated a sheet aluminum cover for the CDH Not shown) so that I can still utilize the space above the CDH.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

There is no particular problem with using that space for your CDH. However, there are better locations. I used that space for my LiFePo4 280 amp/hour battery and accessories. I looked at many different places where I could install the CDH (mine is a "2000" size) and under the bench seat worked nicely. The key reasons for me were:

4. Ideal location to keep the CDH exhaust system short. Longer exhaust systems slow exhaust gases exiting the CDH.

Here's that space you show in your pic which, in my rig, houses the lithium battery:

Here's where I installed my CDH:

I cut out the Westfalia "wood" floor beneath the CDH so that I did not have to fabricate a circular "pan".

I also fabricated a sheet aluminum cover for the CDH Not shown) so that I can still utilize the space above the CDH.
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

LOL, I DID see that but after pg 55 it fell out of my brain. Rolling Eyes

I still use my fridge so I won't be routing the intake that way. Hoping to keep the original "wall" in there, it is our wine cellar after all.

We'll see in the next few weeks..... Thanks!

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

Good points. Talking to my mechanic tomorrow, (I do what I can, he fixes my mistakes) and will report back on final locations. Thanks a lot!

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

LOL, I DID see that but after pg 55 it fell out of my brain. Rolling Eyes

I still use my fridge so I won't be routing the intake that way. Hoping to keep the original "wall" in there, it is our wine cellar after all.

We'll see in the next few weeks..... Thanks!

I still use my fridge too. Heater draws air from under the fridge which is nice since that is where the cold air is at floor level... If it needs more air to draw it can suck around the cabinet including the vent by the window behind the stove.

I also use the extremely convenient easy access storage under the seat.... I have absolutely no idea why anyone would fill that space with something permanent - that's craziness in my mind.

Other place I thought the heater would live well is above the glove compartment piped into the heater box/ducting. Another place to tie into the ducting would be the B pillar and it would plenum into the ceiling vents and even backwards into the front of the van. Not nearly as good as above the glove compartment but many people put fridges, poopers, etc blocking things right where the side door opens.... Which is another totally bonehead thing IMO.

The cool thing about next to the water tank or above the glove is it is unused/ bonus space and the heater didn't take away from the vans usable space.

Under the seat is the worst... If you want it there, mount it above the trans if you have a 2wd and pipe it in.

seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
- that's craziness in my mind.

I get where you're coming from, that's prized space. As King Arthur said, "The quest continues..."

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:

Replacement parts? At the low cost of them I think people just get a new one. Not sure if there is a parts vendor.
Compared to the Webasto's & Espar costing $1100.00 + and you can get parts for them and suport from good reputable vendors.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

My 5 kw CDH is under the bus on the driver’s side toward the centerline.
The box cover was bought online. It is hinged and fastened with wing nuts for simple servicing.
Hot air is ducted over the gas tank and up through a box between the front seats.
Return is tied in through the stock rear heater vent (I still use the stock rear heater, for now)
Exhaust is by the rear jackpoint.
Intake is just forward of the trans mount.

Fuel tank is 3 gallons. Filled through a port just aft of the stock water tank fill.
It runs through the secret spot shown in recent previous posts.

I did have to move the propane tank forward. Not hard.

Now that I have high-temp fittings, it works perfectly.
The zero storage loss is great. The air blowing back toward the bed and/or toward the cab is very nice.

If this helps anyone, sweet.

ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Just got delivery of a CDH all-in-one. Is it normal for them to get delivered with a little bit of fuel in the line? Maybe factory tested?

It's a VEVOR, so not a knockoff of a knockoff and purchased from Amazon.
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Where are you guys picking up your fuel line Tee's from? I need 8mm-8mm with a 5mm tee.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
Where are you guys picking up your fuel line Tee's from? I need 8mm-8mm with a 5mm tee.

Gregor

used the one off the WBX since I put in a Subi.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

Gregor

I built one out of parts from the hardware store. A little brass T with three appropriately sized nipples screwed in.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Just got delivery of a CDH all-in-one. Is it normal for them to get delivered with a little bit of fuel in the line? Maybe factory tested?

Mine had some machine oil in it I think from the pump. It wasn't a problem.
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Mine had some machine oil in it I think from the pump. It wasn't a problem.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Ok, all you Chinese diesel heater and battery experts! These are the two batteries I have in a series that are only charged with a Renogy 100w solar panel. (Another 100w panel to be installed soon) https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115 This is the CDH I want to install in our Westy:
https://www.vevor.com/products/2kw-12v-diesel-air-...4728294498 Does this sound like everthing will work?
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Andymon wrote:
Ok, all you Chinese diesel heater and battery experts! These are the two batteries I have in a series that are only charged with a Renogy 100w solar panel. (Another 100w panel to be installed soon) https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115 This is the CDH I want to install in our Westy:
https://www.vevor.com/products/2kw-12v-diesel-air-...4728294498 Does this sound like everthing will work?

Vevor is a suitable CDH product. Lavaner is the silver standard for CDH, but you pay more for it. Vevor is a rebrander basically where many types buy and restamp it seems. A CDH will work off any 12v source as long as it doesn't drop and trigger low voltage warnings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 64

Jump to: