Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Andymon wrote:
This is the CDH I want to install in our Westy:
https://www.vevor.com/products/2kw-12v-diesel-air-...4728294498 Does this sound like everthing will work?

That one almost certainly isn't compatible with the Afterburner controller, which you might well consider an important factor.

Features: http://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/features.html
Compatability: https://gitlab.com/mrjones.id.au/bluetoothheater/-/wikis/home#compatibility
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Just want to point out that some have had success swapping the Heater control PCB to an 'Afterburner' compatible heater. Some report direct swap with connector - but some had to rewire the connectors.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I too mounted mine here. However I 'rigged' mine up to output heat through the stock circuit breaker cutout. It has been rigged up because I am testing this area for heat output.

You can drop a pillow while sleeping and it will block the heat output. Also it blows almost directly on my portable fridge.

I am going to be turning my heater around and outputting heat through the Westfalia stove face. Dave O. said this works perfect for him. I am just waiting for a heater gaskets before I do the swap. I think this is the perfect solution for heat output.

Also I plan on my 300aH DIY LiFePo4 to be where the stock fridge was (fridge delete kit) or in the closet. I like my small cabinet door even though the heater takes up most of its space.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean. The 2Kw comes with it's own controller. I hadn't thought about getting a different controller but just going with what it comes with.

fxr wrote:
Andymon wrote:
This is the CDH I want to install in our Westy:
https://www.vevor.com/products/2kw-12v-diesel-air-...4728294498 Does this sound like everthing will work?

That one almost certainly isn't compatible with the Afterburner controller, which you might well consider an important factor.

Features: http://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/features.html
Compatability: https://gitlab.com/mrjones.id.au/bluetoothheater/-/wikis/home#compatibility

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I too mounted mine here. However I 'rigged' mine up to output heat through the stock circuit breaker cutout. It has been rigged up because I am testing this area for heat output.

I am going to be turning my heater around and outputting heat through the Westfalia stove face. Dave O. said this works perfect for him. I am just waiting for a heater gaskets before I do the swap. I think this is the perfect solution for heat output.

Pics please Smile

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
My 5 kw CDH is under the bus on the driver’s side toward the centerline.
The box cover was bought online. It is hinged and fastened with wing nuts for simple servicing.
Hot air is ducted over the gas tank and up through a box between the front seats.
Return is tied in through the stock rear heater vent (I still use the stock rear heater, for now)
Exhaust is by the rear jackpoint.
Intake is just forward of the trans mount.

Fuel tank is 3 gallons. Filled through a port just aft of the stock water tank fill.
It runs through the secret spot shown in recent previous posts.

I did have to move the propane tank forward. Not hard.

Now that I have high-temp fittings, it works perfectly.
The zero storage loss is great. The air blowing back toward the bed and/or toward the cab is very nice.

If this helps anyone, sweet.

Thats a super clean install, do you have a link to the box?? Hoping to do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

there are these boxes on fleabay
make sure to check your units size to make sure it fits in the box properly. Wink

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

alinghi12 wrote:
[
Thats a super clean install, do you have a link to the box?? Hoping to do the same.

Boyd welding for fuel tank.
Fueltankparts .com

I can’t find the link to the heater box. However, there is nothing special about it. Any steel box could be modified with a hole saw on a drill press.

There are other pics in this thread that might help.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

The 2KW Lavaner Pro seems to have risen to the top of the CDH pile for Vanagon-sized applications.

But they have been backordered in the US for quite awhile, so I signed onto the waiting list.

Yesterday I received this and ordered one.

It appears that there are just 18 of the current 100 unit shipment left as of this morning. I inquired if I needed the Alpine version (5KW only AFAIK) for use at 6K-8K feet elevation and the rep said the pro version was fine

Quote:
Dear US Customers

Thanks for your GREAT PATIENCE

For almost 30 days delay in the dock of L.A. Port due to the Traffic Jam and Supply Chain Crisis, finally we got 100 PCS 12V 2KW Pro Air Heaters (Not the Alpine) available in the US stock now.

Here is the link to buy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001337957050.h...55778072.1

Important NOTE: please do not input “OTHER” in your receiving address, we need the state name and the city name related to your post code, otherwise we can not ship it to you and the PO BOX address is also not available.

In addition, your order is only limited to 1PCS, please give more opportunities to other customers in this winter, thanks for your kind.

As for the 2KW Pro, if you want to know more about it, please refer to

the YouTube Review Video of LAVANER Pro 12V 2KW Made by Mr. David McLuckie.

Taken Apart: https://youtu.be/zU3tYB6w608

First Run: https://youtu.be/opX7_guaVjI

Please make sure you download the APP "AliExpress" when trying to place the order with your mobile.

All the customers on the waiting list will have a reminder from LAVANER by Messenger.

Thanks for your great patience again and the recognition on LAVANER Pro Heaters.

We will keep providing the quality heaters for all of customers including EU, UK, and US.

Stay Warm This Winter with us

LAVANER Team

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

You can drop a pillow while sleeping and it will block the heat output. Also it blows almost directly on my portable fridge.

Also I plan on my 300aH DIY LiFePo4 to be where the stock fridge was (fridge delete kit) or in the closet. I like my small cabinet door even though the heater takes up most of its space.

When you sleep prop your table in front of the fridge to deflect the air.
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Got my CDH installed last night, late enough I couldn't figure out how to prime it, and this morning I got the pump running to prime it and it only pulls fuel about two inches into the fuel line from the tank. Tank is up high, temporary position, no crimps in the line. I tried opening the tank cap to release back pressure, same result. Everything is connected except the heater, I was tying to fill the line before I connected it to the heater.

Any ideas what the problem is?

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
'85 Westfalia, 2 Jetta's, Fox, Cabriolet, Bugs
Rolled over in a '65 VW bus my mom was driving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:
Got my CDH installed last night, late enough I couldn't figure out how to prime it, and this morning I got the pump running to prime it and it only pulls fuel about two inches into the fuel line from the tank. Tank is up high, temporary position, no crimps in the line. I tried opening the tank cap to release back pressure, same result. Everything is connected except the heater, I was tying to fill the line before I connected it to the heater.

I initially primed mine the old fashioned way and only got a little bit of kerosene in my mouth. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
I inquired if I needed the Alpine version (5KW only AFAIK) for use at 6K-8K feet elevation and the rep said the pro version was fine

That's another plus for the Afterburner controller - you can have different air/fuel ratios for different heights. We've used ours successfully at 11,000 ft.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

So how on earth did you get the pump running without the heater connected? It needs pulses of 12V, provided by the 'ECU' in the heater.
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

Nevermind! The fuel was trickling in and finally filled up the filter and started this puppy right up! Cookin' with diesel, baby!!!

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

So how on earth did you get the pump running without the heater connected? It needs pulses of 12V, provided by the 'ECU' in the heater.

The electric connection was connected, just not the fuel line. All good now!

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I initially primed mine the old fashioned way and only got a little bit of kerosene in my mouth. Smile

😳🤮

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I've been there, yucky.. gasoline, kerosene, you name it.. But, about 15 years ago I started using Bernoulli's principle. Simple: get your compressed air, and blow it across the end of the tube you wish the fluid to "rise" to. Release air, finger over tube to stop fluid from going back down. Pinch off tube if flexible, and attach to desired location. Release pinch clamp. Line should be filled, maybe a bubble or two.

Out in the "field" is another story... sometimes you just got to do it the old fashioned way.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Out in the "field" is another story... sometimes you just got to do it the old fashioned way.

Yeah, this was outside of Durango a couple of years ago in February. I'd never actually used the heater and was really, REALLY going to need it that night so did what was necessary.

I gargled with water before lighting a cigarette (safety first!)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/2240732.jpg

I got the CDH running "perfectly" for the first night, 48 degrees so didn't run it much, started up fine in the morning. Later that day filled the tank with another gallon of diesel and that night after running fine for maybe 20 minutes the white smoke started, a lot. Didn't run it, the co2 alarm didn't go off but was registering an amount of co2. Of course it was in the 30's last night. Trying to figure what what changed and why all this white smoke? Drove on the beach but the air intake filter looks fine, hasn't been sprayed with sand or water that I can tell. Seems like the only change was adding fuel to the tank. I was going to switch the fuel filter from the original to an eberspacher but it had a larger connector and I couldn't fit the fuel line to it. Primed the pump as I could see a few bubbles in the line between the filter and the pump. Still blowing white smoke. Any ideas?[/img]

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 64

Jump to: