Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

and here's an interesting intake filter/muffler. looks promising for underneath installs. the cheap cylindrical ones mesh is really a joke for keeping anything out of the units intake.. esp bugs/spiders

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-Diesel-Heater-Air-In...4882744290

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

for the discrete install location. this is where mine has resided happily for years now.

HEY! some of my images are missing too! Sad

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
Zoti, nice job selecting heavy gage wire for your batteries. You may have already covered the positive terminals but if not it's a best practice to cover them so they are not exposed. The cabinet you mention for the heater seems like a good spot to give up some space, it's definitely a hands and knees type cabinet if you need to get something from the back out of it.

I'm not finished with the install. Got a couple of extra wires to run. Then everything will get covered and boxed including the heater so I can make use of the rest of the area under the rear seat.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and here's an interesting intake filter/muffler. looks promising for underneath installs. the cheap cylindrical ones mesh is really a joke for keeping anything out of the units intake.. esp bugs/spiders

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-Diesel-Heater-Air-In...4882744290

Great find! I just ordered one.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I decided to mount directly to the floor using the mounting plate that came with the heater.

I cut some of the subfloor then placed the metal plate as a template. Marked and drilled. That was the best location but I will need to shield the exhaust as it will run between the rear hand brake cable to the driver side wheel and the line to the slave clutch cylinder. I will need to protect them both from heat.

What do people use for that?

Test fit upside down just to figure out the location.

And installed in the new cut holes. The air inlet will fit under the ECU and I plan to enclose it all in a box to protect the heater and prevent anything from blocking the airflow.

The hot air will come out just under the latch that opens the rear seat area.

And I will make a vent that will let air in through the old heater vent.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

hey zoti - nice pics.

I see the hole appears to be cut on the 2nd rib from the rear. I think I already have a hole in that area from something a previous owner had (maybe a water tank).

Do youh ave any pics from below - ie how is the clearance below?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
hey zoti - nice pics.

I see the hole appears to be cut on the 2nd rib from the rear. I think I already have a hole in that area from something a previous owner had (maybe a water tank).

Do youh ave any pics from below - ie how is the clearance below?

I cut it right over the hole that was there for the wiring of the rear heater.

I didn’t take a picture from below. The handbrake cable and clutch line run there but with proper insulation of the exhaust it should be ok.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

More progress today. Made another plate that will go under then floor and installed the hot air outlet.

If it will be nice weather tomorrow then I will work under the van.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

It’s not bolted yet but I did wire most of it and tested that it gets power and turns on.

I’m thinking of installing the pump inside some sort of a weather protected box as it is going to be outside by my diesel tank.

I bought a 3 gal tank that will fit between the frame rails under the sliding door and will be held in place by a bracket.

I will then be able to pull the tank out and lay it on the ground for refill.

Link

kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Looks like a nice solution - and nice install.
Is that the afterburner controller? Or the one that came with your unit?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Looks like a nice solution - and nice install.
Is that the afterburner controller? Or the one that came with your unit?

Just the one that came with it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I installed a new Diesel Heater last summer (excellent timing, no?) Laughing

And I was living in Florida at the time, so I only tested it in short periods, and it worked great.
However, now that I'm in New Mexico, I've been using it more often. The problem is that it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust, and then would shut off and not restart.

In researching this phenomenon online, it was revealed the white smoke is caused by incomplete combustion, which causes carbon soot build up in the combustion chamber.
So I removed the unit completely, disassembled it and found a huge amount of soot in the chamber. So it got cleaned out well using brushes and carb cleaner.

Reinstalled it and it ran great again! Hooorah! But that was short lived... it's back to blowing huge amounts of white smoke again.

As for causes of the incomplete combustion, I figured either there was an obstruction in the air inlet, or in the exhaust hose or muffler. They both proved to be clear.

So I bought a second heater, thinking maybe there was a defect in the heater.
But the new one has the same problem.

Can anyone give me pointers in what else could be causing this problem?
I love the dry heat when it works, but don't want to disassemble and clean it out after each use.

BTW, I understand the unit has to be run at it's highest setting for about 15 minutes in order to burn out the carbon. I've tried that a couple times, and it didn't eliminate the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is where the heater is installed:

I rebuilt the cabinet to fit over it, allowing for good air inlet on the passenger side and heated air to blow out into the walk-thru area.
(The carpet has since been replaced with vinyl flooring.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Check your intake under the car to make sure it is not blocked. Sometimes animals will crawl into it.

KentABQ wrote:
I installed a new Diesel Heater last summer (excellent timing, no?) Laughing

And I was living in Florida at the time, so I only tested it in short periods, and it worked great.
However, now that I'm in New Mexico, I've been using it more often. The problem is that it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust, and then would shut off and not restart.

In researching this phenomenon online, it was revealed the white smoke is caused by incomplete combustion, which causes carbon soot build up in the combustion chamber.
So I removed the unit completely, disassembled it and found a huge amount of soot in the chamber. So it got cleaned out well using brushes and carb cleaner.

Reinstalled it and it ran great again! Hooorah! But that was short lived... it's back to blowing huge amounts of white smoke again.

As for causes of the incomplete combustion, I figured either there was an obstruction in the air inlet, or in the exhaust hose or muffler. They both proved to be clear.

So I bought a second heater, thinking maybe there was a defect in the heater.
But the new one has the same problem.

Can anyone give me pointers in what else could be causing this problem?
I love the dry heat when it works, but don't want to disassemble and clean it out after each use.

BTW, I understand the unit has to be run at it's highest setting for about 15 minutes in order to burn out the carbon. I've tried that a couple times, and it didn't eliminate the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is where the heater is installed:

I rebuilt the cabinet to fit over it, allowing for good air inlet on the passenger side and heated air to blow out into the walk-thru area.
(The carpet has since been replaced with vinyl flooring.)

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Check your intake under the car to make sure it is not blocked. Sometimes animals will crawl into it.

Thanks!
Yup, I checked both the intake and exhaust to make sure they're not blocked, and also not too long. I understand 6' is the longest exhaust, and mine is only 2'.

I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. Smile
It's frustrating not having it work correctly when it performs so well for so many others.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
zoti wrote:

Thanks!
Yup, I checked both the intake and exhaust to make sure they're not blocked, and also not too long. I understand 6' is the longest exhaust, and mine is only 2'.

I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. Smile
It's frustrating not having it work correctly when it performs so well for so many others.

What are your max and min pump Hz and fan rpm?

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

are you sure you are stopping the CDH fuel priming (manual pump) cycle.
it'll FLOOD the unit if you leave it on full on..
review a few of these and see if that may be why BOTH units you are starting with have the same odd problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+diesel+heater+priming
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I recall my instructions indicated that the intake had to be similar length as the exhaust. Maybe something to check?
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Working on a vent cover to replace the original now that the heater core is gone.

Got so close with my first attempt. Oh well. Making another one.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Finished. Pretty proud of myself.
peteymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Zoti: That's a really great grill! Nice job!

An Amazon reviewer of these Chinese heaters found using kerosene instead of diesel cured the carbon build up issue. Cleaner fuel for a more complete combustion.

“If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately.”
- Thomas Paine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 64

Jump to: