Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikevan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

1984 GL 4 speed manual

Cannot shift into 1st or 2nd. Can get reverse, 3rd and 4th
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

To get going, you probably just need to re-align the shifter rod where it is joined half-way along. However, needing to do this means some other parts are worn - usually it's the ball'n'socket on the transmission shift lever, but the whole train could probably do with a going-over. Plenty of detailed posts on here, most easily accessible via the FAQ.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

I just went through this same issue. Go Westy has a decent walk-through of the procedures needed to check your shift linkage for proper orientation on their site. But, in addition to that, I found that the shift "cup" at the transmission end of the linkage had significant slop which prevented the rod from pushing the internal linkage inward enough to engage first and second. I replaced the cup and then re-adjusted the linkage (a maddeningly ridiculous number of times). The slop in the cup was due to a hogging out of the roll pin hole that secures it to the shaft. I had a spare cup on hand, but GW and others carry new versions.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mikevan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I did do a quick inspection of the front (bottom of shift lever) and rear (at lever that connects to the shift rod) joints and neither seemed horrible. I will check more closely with your comments in mind.

However, I had what I remember to be the same exact problem not long after I obtained this vehicle back in 1991 and the problem was a failed part inside of the gearbox.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: How to adjust a shifter in 2 seconds Reply with quote

With new components, it takes 2 seconds to adjust the shifter on a 091/1 linkage.

Put the transmission in neutral.

Loosen the clamp by the U joint near the sliding door area/ gas tank.Make sure it can spin one into another freely with no effort.
Put the shifter in the cabin in neutral, make sure it is half way between forward and backward movement ( depth of the shifter rod basically)
: to do so perfectly, take your lever to the almost far left, so you feel you`re in between the tabs in the shifter box and your lever cannot go forward or backward, you`ll feel it bumping in both directions, put it in the middle of what you feel. Gently let it go back to the right on a parallele motion if it wants to, if not leave it alone.

Go under the van, push with your hand on the rear section shifter rod next to the clamp with your hand towards passenger side: you will feel and hear the cabin shifter move and self align in a left to right parallele motion of where you left it, basically your shifter in the cab is moving right, so its base is moving left under the floor in the box til it cannot go any further.
I used to do that with a bungee cord attached to the passenger side door handle, but it tends to not pull well aligned, or ask your copilot/progeniture/dog/cat/lama/wife/GF to do it for you, but it works very well alone too.
Tighten your clamp while holding that position FIRMLY, I use a flat closed end wrench on top and can keep pushing with that hand and a battery impact driver in the other hand, you`re done the first time. Money back garranty Laughing

Save this, cite me, spread the word, bc it works. Adjusting original shifters is a super easy job that needs to be demystified.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Mikevan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Thanks again! I'll give that procedure a go.

I think my '84 has the 091 trans if that makes difference.

Mike
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Your van most likely has an 091/1 trans. The 091 trans uses a very different shift rod assembly.

091/1 ≠ 091

y u rune klassik?
Mikevan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

I'll look at the marking on the housing but Bentley indicates that the 091/1 is for the 2.1 liter, starting in 1986. I have the 1.9 l.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

The 091/1 started in mid-'83 with the introduction of the 1.9 WBX.

y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Hey, before we take this too far down a road without key information - what happened? I mean to say adjusting the center joint on the shifter rod would be called for if you just put new shifter parts in it and its sitting in your garage.

But if you tell us you've been happily driving it for 17 years and know the shifting well and suddenly from yesterday to today you cannot find 1-2, that is a horse of a different color.

So, how about you tell us what happened before we start telling you what to replace, disconnect and the like?

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Mikevan10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

It's pretty much like Doug described it - I have been happily driving this van for many years (although not very much in the last few years), knowing the shifting well and all of a sudden I cannot get 1st or 2nd. I have done no work on the trans or the shift linkage in many many years. Like I mentioned before, this is pretty much what I remember happening back in about 1991 and at that time I had to go inside the transmission and replace what I believe was a relay lever. Unfortunately I did not make a good record of what part I replaced or the work sequence at the time and my memory is not what it used to be....

I have not had a chance to do any more investigation or try any of the above shift linkage suggestions, by the way.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Mikevan10 wrote:
...all of a sudden I cannot get 1st or 2nd...

I had this part fail - suddenly - while on vacation:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3368

On mine the ball had separated from the metal but the remaining tang was enough to get some vague action.

I could not seem to find 1 & 2. I finally got the hang of it by getting the gear shift past the reverse lock out ans then finding 1 & 2 over there. Just had to be careful that I got 1st and not reverse as they were now right next to one another.

Might not be your problem but something to check & easy enough to fix if you are home when it happens. As it was, I was able to deal with it well enough to drive another 2000 miles before fixing.
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

I'm facing the same challenge - no 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd, 4th and R never quit. I reset to the shifter to the 3-4 gate, as instructed, still no 1st or 2nd gear. Rotated the shaft the minimum and can goes backwards in 1st and 2nd.
I'm thinking I can get home if I can pull one of those 180s from reverse like in the cop shows, but hoping there's a less criminal way to make sense of this.
Played with it about 10 times now.
Insights?
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Oh yeah - it's a 91/1, at 7:18 on Saturday night in suburbia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Chris Beebe wrote:
...I'm thinking I can get home if I can pull one of those 180s from reverse like in the cop shows, but hoping there's a less criminal way to make sense of this.

It is possible to get underway in 3rd gear. Then anticipate stoplights & coast - try not to stop.

Not a solution but might get you home.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Could be the right side tab fell off of the shift ears that are located in the housing directly below, underneath the van.

Before making any adjustments I'd strongly suggest looking for what has likely broken.
My money goes to the input ball lever which ahwahnee noted above.

If you make adjustments to the linkage first and then find its a broken part, you're likely to find the linkage out of adjustment once you replace the part.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Hi guys. As I’m reading through this thread, I was wondering if it isn’t a clutch issue. My van is starting to have difficulty getting into 1st gear. Don’t have a problem getting into 2nd. I assumed I needed a clutch job and was thinking of tackling it myself- I’m about to order a new master and slave clutch cylinder from Bus Depot. Now I’m not sure if that’s my problem or a problem within the transmission. How can I tell if it’s a clutch, linkage or transmission issue? TIA!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Check your brake fluid level under the dash cover.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Also check for any leaks at the slave. I had a leak that made shifting into gear difficult then eventually total failure. Can you shift through the gears with the van off clutch pedal out?

Edit. This eventually applied to all gears not just 1st and 2nd.

Last edited by elizer on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot select 1st or 2nd gear Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Mikevan10 wrote:
...all of a sudden I cannot get 1st or 2nd...

I had this part fail - suddenly - while on vacation:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3368

On mine the ball had separated from the metal but the remaining tang was enough to get some vague action.

I could not seem to find 1 & 2. I finally got the hang of it by getting the gear shift past the reverse lock out ans then finding 1 & 2 over there. Just had to be careful that I got 1st and not reverse as they were now right next to one another.

Might not be your problem but something to check & easy enough to fix if you are home when it happens. As it was, I was able to deal with it well enough to drive another 2000 miles before fixing.

This part failed on a commute home for me. Fortunately, there was a mostly level, stop-free route home and I drove home in third gear. A visual inspection plus manually shifting into 1st and 2nd at the transmission showed that it was a linkage problem. Replacement solved the problem.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: