Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

That is gear oil, not grease. Grease tends to hang on, and only drip in large clumps. Oils drip.

As to how bad is the drip depends on how bad of leak it is. When filled up how much leaks out over 24, 48, or more hours?

Yes that part of the transaxle holds the ring & pinion, and the differential. To do it up right and easiest way is to remove the engine and then transaxle.

Shift linkage bushing is important for smooth shifting so as to have less damage to the gears/syncros. You can do a full replacement of all the shift linkage bushings only with both engine and transaxle out....

Wires look to be non-stock. Best way to sort them out is to follow them to where they end on the other end.

If a mechanic has sold a bus with so many problems, it might just be better you do the work yourself. You will learn much more, which you will need in the future, and skip having more Mickey Mouse work done on it now.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Moved the mounts for the seatbelts to the proper position (thanks again for the heads up on my previous error).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bolts that came with the belt kits that I purchased were almost too short to span the space where the mounts were located (no plugs, the kits I had came with large washers, the bolts, lock nuts and nuts). So it seems that I will need to get longer bolts. I did see a reference to screw in adapters in one of the threads linked in previous comments. Should I purchase some of these? Currently I have the large washers, lock nuts and main nuts on the underside of the mount holes.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
That is gear oil, not grease. Grease tends to hang on, and only drip in large clumps. Oils drip.

As to how bad is the drip depends on how bad of leak it is. When filled up how much leaks out over 24, 48, or more hours?

Yes that part of the transaxle holds the ring & pinion, and the differential. To do it up right and easiest way is to remove the engine and then transaxle.

Shift linkage bushing is important for smooth shifting so as to have less damage to the gears/syncros. You can do a full replacement of all the shift linkage bushings only with both engine and transaxle out....

Wires look to be non-stock. Best way to sort them out is to follow them to where they end on the other end.

If a mechanic has sold a bus with so many problems, it might just be better you do the work yourself. You will learn much more, which you will need in the future, and skip having more Mickey Mouse work done on it now.

Thanks for the information. I definitely want to do as much work on this thing as possible. However, pulling the engine and transaxle seems like a huge leap in for a newbie like me. I am going to see if the mechanic will fix it now, if not then I guess I go full bore in on this puppy right away.

I looked up the lubrication section in the manual listed here on Samba but could not find the location of where to check the levels. I did see a note about changing the oil. I am under the impression that the primary engine oil reservoir is different that the one I am looking for to check for this part of the vehicle. Is this the case or are they one in the same?

Currently the leak drops only a little (less than an ounce I would say) when the van has been sitting for several hours. I would like to get this thing home safely and am hoping that this rate of loss is doable for 25 miles or so.

I do have a full "bible" air cooled manual at home, but both the vehicle and I are currently at my work location.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Don't worry about some drips. Check the gear oil level. Will be a plug mid height left side. Gear oil should be level with the bottom of the hole. Stick a piece of wire or something in there to check. It can be down some without a problem.

The brake switch wires have been changed. The unattached ones may be the old ones.

Give yourself time. They are quite simple but will take a while to absorb everything. Read lots of threads on here.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Left side of trans. See plug just forward of the axel. 17mm hex.

I would also say it's probably not a problem driving home. It takes a long time to drop a liter of gear oil. But I can't say if it was already very low.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Don't worry about some drips. Check the gear oil level. Will be a plug mid height left side. Gear oil should be level with the bottom of the hole. Stick a piece of wire or something in there to check. It can be down some without a problem.

The brake switch wires have been changed. The unattached ones may be the old ones.

Give yourself time. They are quite simple but will take a while to absorb everything. Read lots of threads on here.

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit less stressed out. Definitely reading as much as I can as quickly as I can. I knew this thing would require me to buff up on my mechanic skills, just didn't expect to need to know so much so quickly Smile

Found the plug, but do not have the proper hex driver to remove it. Will need to grab that ASAP.

I think the leak just began today or yesterday as I did not notice it or any oil stains before today.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

OK a few more questions before I head home, stopping by the auto parts store on the way to grab a 17mm hex.

This is a pic of my speedometer with the ignition key turned to the first point. Both alternator and oil pressure lights on are, which is good. But what is the light in between those that is not illuminated? Also, the turn signal indicators on the speedometer don't light up when the turn signals are engaged, though both turn signals are working correctly.

Here is my gas gauge, never moves off this mark. I have been reading up on gas level senders, but have not been able to figure out if this is a signal/wiring issue or a bad sender. Without taking out the motor and gas tank, is there any way to figure this out?

Back of my gas gauge. Can somebody explain what each wire does?

Finally, this is the brake fluid reservoir, yes? Any good sources for a replacement for the cover? Got a nice foot bath this morning when I ran through a puddle.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, input and patience. I know you get troublesome noobies like me here all the time. I swear and am checking FAQs and reading as many threads, manuals and other resources as I can.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Again, check your owner's manual for the speedo light situation.

As for the gas gauge, would first check that voltage is being supplied to it. One wire is obviously a ground. What are the other two terminals marked as??
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Here's a thread on the front shift bushing that shows how it should look:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397065

The bottom middle light is the high beam indicator.

The turn signal light at the top should flash but it's possible if the turn signal relay has been replaced or if the Bus has been upgraded to 12 volts, they used the wrong relay so the light cannot function properly.

Gas gauge

The gas gauge you have is not a Bus gas gauge but maybe it works anyway?
If should read zero when the key is off.
If it always reads the same with the key on, the sender might be bad or it might have a bad ground.
Did you remove the clamp that clamps it to the dashboard?
Normally the mounting bracket grounds the gauge but I see that is a later gauge with a ground connection.
I see a yellow wire on there that looks like an added ground wire.
This is not a standard wire in the 1964 wiring harness - someone added it.
Does it go to ground? It should.

Reference:
Wiring diagrams on the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
For 1964 I looked at the 1963 diagram

The 3 top connections on the gauge will be power, the bulb for nighttime viewing, and a wire that goes back to the sender.
The top center is a bulb holder so that is the light for the gauge.
The power is normally marked with a + - this should be the black wire.
The brown should be the wire that travels back to the sender
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

I recommend the (no offense...) Idiot’s guide. Start at the beginning. Not every method, etc, is really the best, but the explanations are such that you WILL gain some knowledge that you lack. Read the procedures there, then in a better manual. I learned almost as much from doing that as I have on this forum, and I’ve been working on cars for...a looong time.

(Also, ‘brakes’ stop your vehicle from hitting stuff, so that you don’t ‘break’ your Face, etc.)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:

Finally, this is the brake fluid reservoir, yes? Any good sources for a replacement for the cover? Got a nice foot bath this morning when I ran through a puddle.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, input and patience. I know you get troublesome noobies like me here all the time. I swear and am checking FAQs and reading as many threads, manuals and other resources as I can.

There are covers in the classifieds.
What it looks like

Search on brake cover in Split Bus parts section
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...rake+cover

You are also missing the front pedal pan
Pedal pan thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403182
Example of a nice one:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

This is the Idiots Guide that I picked up. Definitely trying to read as much as I can. I have also downloaded the manual and am going through that. My apologies for throwing so many questions out there before finishing these resources. I can be impatient and want to know everything NOW. 😜

I really do appreciate all the input. At home and am in desperate need of a shower (work outside in south Florida heat all day every day). Plan to do some more reading after getting some grub.

Thanks again to ALL for the advice, info and help.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Re the leaky transaxle: in my first bus, years ago, I had a very slow leak from that same spot that I nursed for MANY miles, daily driving to work and school on Houston freeways, and on road trips all over Texas. I was religious about checking the gear oil and keeping it topped up, having added gear oil in at least 5 state parks, and was always careful not to abuse the trans. (I did have some added confidence in that the RGBs had been rebuilt.)

Aside from occasionally stinking like gear oil, I never had any problems.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Moved the mounts for the seatbelts to the proper position (thanks again for the heads up on my previous error).

The bolts that came with the belt kits that I purchased were almost too short to span the space where the mounts were located (no plugs, the kits I had came with large washers, the bolts, lock nuts and nuts). So it seems that I will need to get longer bolts. I did see a reference to screw in adapters in one of the threads linked in previous comments. Should I purchase some of these? Currently I have the large washers, lock nuts and main nuts on the underside of the mount holes.

There are not typically any nuts required for mounting seat belts. If your bus has the mounts with the BIG threaded hole, then the adapters go in those and your bolts thread into the adapter. No nuts or longer bolts required.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
I looked up the lubrication section in the manual listed here on Samba but could not find the location of where to check the levels. I did see a note about changing the oil. I am under the impression that the primary engine oil reservoir is different that the one I am looking for to check for this part of the vehicle. Is this the case or are they one in the same?.

Find the owners manual here and it will show you that stuff. Engine oil and gear oil are different, (and should definitely not be mixed up). Gear oil is much thicker and smells way worse.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Z wrote:

There are not typically any nuts required for mounting seat belts. If your bus has the mounts with the BIG threaded hole, then the adapters go in those and your bolts thread into the adapter. No nuts or longer bolts required.

I ordered a set of the adapters today. Should have them by the end of the week.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Z wrote:

Find the owners manual here and it will show you that stuff. Engine oil and gear oil are different, (and should definitely not be mixed up). Gear oil is much thicker and smells way worse.

The reason we are suggesting you read the OM is not just the questions you are posting about , but also stuff you do not know to ask about.

Just recently a young fellow in the post 1967 beetle forum that did not know what to do when the lights in the speedo lit up. If he did know the info in the OM, or had it on hand with enough experience of previously reading it to know the info was in it, he could have made an adjustment or just replaced a $15.00 part. Instead end result is at least $1,000, more likely a $1,500 to rebuild the engine.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Z wrote:

The reason we are suggesting you read the OM is not just the questions you are posting about , but also stuff you do not know to ask about.

Just recently a young fellow in the post 1967 beetle forum that did not know what to do when the lights in the speedo lit up. If he did know the info in the OM, or had it on hand with enough experience of previously reading it to know the info was in it, he could have made an adjustment or just replaced a $15.00 part. Instead end result is at least $1,000, more likely a $1,500 to rebuild the engine.

Yep. The owners manual shows how to operate the bus and maintain it. The repair manual goes much deeper into repair and service, but may not tell how to do basic maintenance. Two books for two different purposes. I suspect you might be thinking there is just one ‘manual’.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Thanks again. I do understand the difference between the two resources and have been reading both. Just so much info that I feel I need to k ow NOW 😳
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Club - '64 Split Window Camper Reply with quote

Just spoke to the mechanic that sold me the bus and he is going to fix the transaxle leak. This makes me feel much better and gives me a little more time for learning the ropes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: