Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Booster primed and painted, adjusted, drilled, tapped and threadlocked clevis, ready to go in.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

After alot of search for the missing old clutch master cylinder, and almost ordering a new clutch rod, clevis and pin, it turns out it was never taken off. Still sitting in there, kind of hard to see. Brick wall
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

tilstad wrote:
After alot of search for the missing old clutch master cylinder, and almost ordering a new clutch rod, clevis and pin, it turns out it was never taken off. Still sitting in there, kind of hard to see. Brick wall

Now would be a good time to inspect for excessive play at hole on clutch pedal where that clevis pin fits.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
tilstad wrote:

Now would be a good time to inspect for excessive play at hole on clutch pedal where that clevis pin fits.

Neil.

Yes Yes Yes
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Hardly any slop in the clutch linkage, I estimate it to perhaps 0.5 mm.

I wonder if this hose was supposed to have a clamp though. No clamp on the other end either.

Do these hoses tend to start leaking? Doesn't seem that it would be any pressure in this hose, except for the gravity feed of fluid.

All the fluid is dried up, so I cant tell where the leak came from.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Can’t speak for VW, but in BMW land that was standard practice for 80’s and 90’s clutch hoses feeding off the brake master reservoir- no clamps on the feed hose. If you had an Automatic BMW, you’d still see the plastic nipple coming off the brake reservoir for a clutch master that wasn’t there on the car due to the Automatic Trans...The plastic nipples were sealed but it was great to be able to take one off a junkyard car for a clutch car/manual trans car and just carefully remove the sealed plastic end of the nipple-
As for your part, could be leaking at the seal where the hose goes in- I’ve seen these seals turn to soft mush over time just due to age.

Get a funnel and pour some brake fluid in your clutch part via the feed hose- see what weeps on you- hard to tell from your picture
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

So far so good. Brake and clutch master is in, not tightened down yet though.

Added some sleeving around some wires,some electrical tape, and will try to glue down this foam around the booster.

The wires are a little too close with this new bigger booster.

Also had to trim off the corner of the heaterbox. Booster isnt mounted in the pic, just pushed to the side, so clearance looks much bigger than it really is.

tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

And so 4 years later, I find that not only did the booster linkage become too short, as brake pedal was way down to connect, but my new clutch cylinder had a broken off hose fitting, and when all that was addressed, including taking out the whole pedal assembly, repaint it and fitting new bumpstops, the brake master cylinder is now clocked to the left.

It doesnt sit straight. Hmm... Mysterious.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

"The oxen is slow, but the earth is patient". -- High Road To China (1983)

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Then I find the brand new booster have a broken vacuum seal. Well..er...it "was" new back when I started this...
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Joy of joys, 1985 vintage parts to the rescue. Managed to get it out in one piece.

tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

This has been postponed so long, I had to explain to my 10 year old what 'procrastination" means, and that I generally had problems with this. The issue was given some thought, as we both counted all my "projects", and came to 38 in qty...

Nevertheless, I had found the solution, in the form of a book on "how to avoid procrastination", however, that book never got ordered due to procrastination....

My 10 year old gave me a sympathetic look.

"I can help you daddy", and so we begun. After fixing 5 other projects, down to "only" 33, we now have turned to the van, determined to get it drivable. Not restored, just moving and breaking and atleast semi usable.

So 6 court battles, a few girfriends, a restored mustang, a new bathroom, roof and 2 inner celings later, and still being the kids legal dad, we now have resumed this job.

Biggest mental hurdle has been these brakes. Short term goal is booster, master and clutch cylinder 100% hooked up. But its fighting me, as you can see, with new broken parts, parts that dont fit etc. But im not giving up! I will live like a munk until this step is resolved.

Last edited by tilstad on Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Rubber went in without a hitch, after firs looking like a differeny size.

Time for a little procrast.....er......recharge with a cup a tea, for the next steps.

Anyone tried this "Hotshot"? Probably the fastest water boiler on the marked, if your on shore power.

tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

To get motivated a few smaller things got addressed first. A new deepcycle battery, 24DC, fits like a glove and only $79 at walmart. Had to upgrade to a Noco rv permanent mount charger (on shore power) as my old 2 chargers just boiled the battery at 14.75 volts. Battery doesn want to keep that high resting voltage, I tried 2 of them, seems this is how they are.

Then a new walloutlet with built in fast charger. No excuse, now one can look up repair issues even if phone is low on battery. Old covers was cracked, so upgraded to these. Fits the overall brown/tan color theme well.

And finally, as I'm known to address the most important things first head-on, a new fitting air freshener.

Back to the brakes.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Mystery resolved! The mounting holes in the master cylinder is drilled significantly off center. Oh, aftermarket vendors, you bring so much to the hobby, alot of extra work too. So much for splurging on genuine Chinese parts.

Couple of drillbits to enlarge the holes to allow clock it on center.

Better? Or still a little to the left? Reseated the booster bracket aswell as the booster onto the bracket, clocking the little slack there was towards the right. It helped some. But its not easy when parts are this far off from a new box.

Im considering the reservoar will be all wrong tilted to the side like this. May get low brake fluid warnings etc, as the amout its off will be even more pronounced as it extends up from this.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Wow - four years to tighten the brake booster! That level of procrastination IS truly impressive! Now I don't feel half as bad about how slow I am getting my own Vanagon stuff done. Smile I hope I live long enough to read about the OP's fuel lines getting changed out! Very Happy

Hahaha! Just teasing - progress is progress!! *slow clap* emphasis on the slooow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Yeah. I guess most would have just scrapped the idea by now. I needed to take some time for myself go get my life sorted. Catching up on alot of old tasks now.

But the positive was I got it all done this weekend, needed to get out a dremel and thread kit to get everything together.

Its difficult to prioritize ones hobbies when life throw 10 curveballs in a row. Its just how it goes sometimes.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

No judgement! Been there too. Looks like a super fun project - hope you can find the momentum to finish it up! Having to modify new parts to make them work is the worst. :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

I won't say how many years my van sat, I never seemed to be able to put together the time and funds to "git 'er done".
Finally did and couldn't be happier. I raised my boys with Bay window vans and the Vanagon came up after they were out of high school. Your 10-year-old will remember trips in the camper more than anything in school etc. My sons still talk about some of our summer adventures traveling in the "72 Westy.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins: Resurrection of an old '85 Westy project Reply with quote

Got new OEM pedalrubber, not bad for $5 each.. Must be used on many other models.

Babysteps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: