Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few questions before I begin to build my first camper.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJBLAIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

Im about to start my homemade camper kit for my og paint 64 swr/bg non-walkthrough standard and I have a few questions. First off, what are the pros/cons to the Westy SO-33 vs the SO-42 interior. Im basically asking what bed is easier to sleep on and what cabinets are more utilitarian. Is the SO-33 bed a hassle to arrange from seats to bed? Im only going to take this bus camping for 2-3 nights tops so I don't need to live in it.

Is the coat closet a big hinder to visibility on the passenger side since it blocks that pop out window? I like the devon camper kits little cabinet under that window that only goes to the belt line, but I only found a few photos of it in the gallery.

Is there any blue prints on the samba to re-create these Westy kits? Im not a total stock nazi so Im not opposed to mixing aspects of the two into the same kit.

Thank you all in advance this website rocks.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

IMHO a full width bed is a lot nicer.You could access a regular bed and just Fab wider boards for it using it for pattern and lengthening it. The side cabinet doesn't do enough to bother with it's obstruction,that' s my .02 And since you are not going factory parts why not just do whatever layout you like?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

I am getting ready to build a camper interior also. Most of the time in the bus will be day trips and we wanted to have seating for two in the back. So no covering windows, removable curtains and I want a fridge to keep snacks and drinks cool. I also want it to look period correct.

Our camping will be overnights, week or more and traveling. Overnights are no problem. When we do long camping trips the bus will be used more as just a place to sleep and gear will be carried on the roof rack. Traveling will be the biggest challenge. I don't want to run a roof rack on long trips but we need supplies and be able to live in it. So every bit of space needs to be usable and I want to keep it as light as possible. Still deciding between bed size and cabinet space.

Start with really thinking about how you will use your bus the most. Then think about other uses.

There are lots of pics of bus campers floating around the internet. Load of good ideas.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
I am getting ready to build a camper interior also. Most of the time in the bus will be day trips and we wanted to have seating for two in the back. So no covering windows, removable curtains and I want a fridge to keep snacks and drinks cool....

Our camping will be overnights, week or more and traveling. Overnights are no problem. When we do long camping trips the bus will be used more as just a place to sleep and gear will be carried on the roof rack. Traveling will be the biggest challenge. I don't want to run a roof rack on long trips but we need supplies and be able to live in it. So every bit of space needs to be usable and I want to keep it as light as possible. Still deciding between bed size and cabinet space...

i would skip the fridge, get a big and good cooler, load it up with ice, will last for days, and you can plop it outside when you get there. Much better than a fridge IMHO. Big as in 160 can or so. MUCH cheaper too, under 100 bucks. don't waste 400 bucks on a YETI, you do not need that much awesome Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
sgellis wrote:
I am getting ready to build a camper interior also. Most of the time in the bus will be day trips and we wanted to have seating for two in the back. So no covering windows, removable curtains and I want a fridge to keep snacks and drinks cool....

Our camping will be overnights, week or more and traveling. Overnights are no problem. When we do long camping trips the bus will be used more as just a place to sleep and gear will be carried on the roof rack. Traveling will be the biggest challenge. I don't want to run a roof rack on long trips but we need supplies and be able to live in it. So every bit of space needs to be usable and I want to keep it as light as possible. Still deciding between bed size and cabinet space...

i would skip the fridge, get a big and good cooler, load it up with ice, will last for days, and you can plop it outside when you get there. Much better than a fridge IMHO. Big as in 160 can or so. MUCH cheaper too, under 100 bucks. don't waste 400 bucks on a YETI, you do not need that much awesome Wink

Fridge is a must for us. We don't want to deel with ice. Just want stuff to be cold when we get where we are going. I will build my own with solid state cooler and run off a second battery.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Fridge is a must for us. We don't want to deel with ice. Just want stuff to be cold when we get where we are going. I will build my own with solid state cooler and run off a second battery.

i have traveled with a built in fridge, and i have traveled with a big cooler and (cheap) 20 pound bags of ice. Cooler beats a fridge by a mile, and it does not run down your battery. Gas fridge is much better than electric btw.

With the camping trailers at the races we keep the meat and cheese in the 3-way fridge, all beverages in the cooler. 3 guys, 4 days 90 degree weather at the races. If i had to give up one or the other the cooler would definitely win for me every time.
there is so little space in a bus. Especially in a tin top.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions before I begin to build my first camper. Reply with quote

I used full width bed brackets from a vanagon and worked great. Tons of under seat space too. We use dry ice and blocks in a big cooler, if we know that we will have hook ups we will take a small electric fridge. As others mentioned cooler is best and will fit under the bed when folded out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: