Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

Hello - I'm a longtime Samba member and longtime Vanagon owner. My son and I just got a 1970 bus. The motor had a Kardon (??) duel carb setup on it when we got it. The engine is currently being rebuilt by my trusted shop here in Minneapolis (Further Performance). We are trying to decide if we should go back to a single carb or stay with the duel carb setup. I've heard good and bad about both setups, so thought I might get some valuable info here.

This will be my 17 year old sons bus. He'll be driving it around Minneapolis mostly with some road trips out to Colorado and up to northern Minnesota planned for the future. He's pretty good mechanically in general, but we'd like the best setup for him that will be the easiest to maintain, but also give good performance. Maybe you can't have both??

Any advise would be very much appreciated as we get this bus ready to drive!

Thanks!
Thomas
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

Kadrons ( real ones ) are good carburetors. If they are worn get 'em re-worked by the Kaddy Shack. The extra HP is nice to have on trips. If it were just local driving I would go with a single carburetor.
Davada66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

Do your self a favor and have the motor built up to a 1776cc you wont have to do any thing to the lower end just have the case opened up for larger piston jugs. uses the same 69mm crank. You will get 75 horse power out of that motor. I used a Weber 40 mm center mounted carburetor much simpler system don't have to balance the carb like duel carbs. It will make a large difference on how you can drive the bus. Also add a oil sump, at least a one quart if not a two quart. Don't forget to make sure you use a high ZDDP oil, like Amsoil Z-Rod or Brad Penn, The Green Oil both made for flat tappet cam engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

It depends on what you're going to use the engine for - summer cruse, or all season travel. Unlike the stock carb, Kadrons have no chokes, which will make winter starting and warmup more interesting. Might be an issue in Minneapolis...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

improved breathing--intake and exhaust--is pretty much the best (and easiest) engine upgrade you can do for your bus. if your having it fully rebuilt, consider a mild cam like an Engle 100 or similar.

the key to kadrons is to have them rebushed and buy the CSP linkage Wink
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

I have a 70 Westy myself and had gone back and forth over whether I wanted to go to duals or stay with a stock single carb. Since I live in the northeast with cooler temps besides summer, I chose to go with a restored german stock single carb. Stayed with stock exhaust as well so the whole preheat system, thermostat, flaps, etc. all work as originally designed. Also, I figured it is always a good piece of mind to be able to follow the Bentley for any issues that come up on the road, etc if everything is stock. It might be a better starting point for a 17 year old driver who might be learning about ACVWs for the first time (assuming that is the case here). After a better understanding of the system, you can always bring the duals back at another time if you wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

Stay stock with carb and distributor. You’ll gain in smooth running and reliability. Easy maintenance. You’ll suffer a small amount of power but in my opinion it’s worth it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

Kads are cool when they're setup right, but that takes some more in depth knowledge that I just flat out ignore.

I'm with Gary, stay stock have him learn on that first. Crawl, walk then run. Or walk don't run

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Hello

This will be my 17 year old sons bus. He'll be driving it around Minneapolis mostly with some road trips out to Colorado and up to northern Minnesota planned for the future. He's pretty good mechanically in general, but we'd like the best setup for him that will be the easiest to maintain, but also give good performance. Maybe you can't have both??

For general easy, reliability I vote single carb.

Stock for simplicity and learning how to wrench on the bus and tuning.

Go up to a single Weber for a little extra 'get up and go' once he's cut his teeth on the stock single carb for a while.

I honestly believe stock set ups are the best to learn on (lots of literature, manuals, and write ups) then step up to a 'performance upgrade' once the basics are learned with the stock equipment.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Duel Carb vs Single - What to do??? Reply with quote

Dual Kaddies are dead simple to adjust and synch. If he can adjust a 34 PICT 3 he can adjust Kaddies. They are way better than any non stock center mount carb due to shorter intake runners. The down side for us cold weather types is the warm up time involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great info! I think we will be staying stock for now with a single carb and as my son gets more comfortable with it, he can tinker with mods down the road.

Have a great day all!

Thomas
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great info! I think we will be staying stock for now with a single carb and as my son gets more comfortable with it, he can tinker with mods down the road.

Have a great day all!

Thomas

FWIW - VW detuned their bus engines on purpose. You'll find dual carb higher performance carbs on some their lighter car that use the type 1 case and heads. You'll also find them on the stronger type 4 cases on buses. The type 1 engine in a bus lasts a lot longer in stock form than set up for higher power. Its very easy to make more power with a bus type 1 engine but the payback is also reduced reliability, and longevity. I base that statement on a 1971 bus that was in my stable for 460,000 miles. The miles that were stock were the most pleasurable - although it was nice to have extra power. Just got tired of breaking things or wearing them out quicker because of that power.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:

Have a great day all!

Thomas

I've learned a thing or two over the years. One of those things is that having a real Solex carb that's been rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbitz is worth every penny. Find out which exact carb fits your year bus and get Tim to sell you one of his.

Next, match that stock carb to the stock distributor. Not just a SVDA but the correct SVDA.

Here's the link you need

http://www.type2.com/~keen/ignition.html

Then, when you get the correct part number distributor, make sure it actually works like it should. This guy can help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2196277

or this guy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188024

Link for Tim at Volkzbitz

http://www.volkzbitz.com/
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

VW detuned their bus engines on purpose.
The type 1 engine in a bus lasts a lot longer in stock form than set up for higher power. Its very easy to make more power with a bus type 1 engine but the payback is also reduced reliability, and longevity.

^ this ^

Colin
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Motor Rebuild - Single vs Duel Carbs - What to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Hello -

This will be my 17 year old sons bus. He'll be driving it around Minneapolis mostly with some road trips out to Colorado…easiest to maintain, but also give good performance…??

My Stock bus, well-tuned, driving from Chicago to Minneapolis:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, the speedometer is correct. I put massive rear tires on to give the "gearing down" effect of a freeway flyer transmission. The head temperatures were NOT impressed, (425+°f) and I netted about 14mpg with that setup.

When I had the stock tires on in May, I was lamenting to some kind folks in Breckenridge about how I had to slow down up the Colorado mountain passes. At that moment I realized I still was utilizing my "seal level" tune. Had I followed John Muir's advice for bumping up the timing 4-5° when crossing the Rockies, I would have shut up. Smile

Tune it, drive it, enjoy it. In that order.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: