Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Purchasing Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Honestly think it Looks nice. I don’t buy the mileage claim at all but it’s still really pretty. Needs the bumper supports but otherwise looks nice. Obviously not the OG paint as two tone wasn’t an option. Check the engine serial number and see if it matches up for the correct year and such.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
Hi guys,

I’m going to test drive this one:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1965-vw-beetle/6654378256.html

The seller hasn’t provide any details on the post.

But just looking at the pics, it looks nice, but I don’t think it worth more than $700?

What you think?

Well, you can't buy much for 700 bucks these days. I paid more than that for a '64 Beetle in 1968.

My bad, I mean 7000...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
iowegian wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
Hi guys,

But just looking at the pics, it looks nice, but I don’t think it worth more than $700?

What you think?

Well, you can't buy much for 700 bucks these days. I paid more than that for a '64 Beetle in 1968.

My bad, I mean 7000...

I know-------I was just havin' a little fun with ya. Wink
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
iowegian wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
Hi guys,

What you think?

My bad, I mean 7000...

I know-------I was just havin' a little fun with ya. Wink

Lol Smile))) but seriously what you think about this car?
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Help: He is asking me to make an offer, what $$ you think?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/volkswagen-beetle-obo/6649139093.html
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
Help: He is asking me to make an offer, what $$ you think?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/volkswagen-beetle-obo/6649139093.html

Literally no way for anybody to know without seeing it in person. Ask him what the best offer he's got so far is. Laughing (personally hate jerks who pull this "make me an offer BS")

If he refuses to answer, I would say you're in the ballpark of 6 to 8K, unless he has a number in mind. If it's over 9K, I'd look elsewhere. It looks pretty nice, but there are lots of nice beetles in CA for under 9K.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

I agree ....
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

guys,
I really like with this car:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-volkswagen-beetle/6658284023.html

I offered him $7000, but he said no...
what would you offer if you wanted to buy this car?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Maybe somewhere between 9 and 10K, 10K if you go look at it and it drives flawless and there are no hidden issues not mentioned/pictured in the ad. I wouldn't make an offer before seeing the car in person though (general rule of thumb, don't make offers without seeing the car - plus owners are usually more open to deal with you if you're there in person).
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Yes, by all outward appearances, that is a nice car. Offering just over half of asking price is a total dick move & I wouldn’t be surprised if the seller refuses further contact. This car fell well into your budget, why would you start trying to be that lowballing asshole?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes, by all outward appearances, that is a nice car. Offering just over half of asking price is a total dick move & I wouldn’t be surprised if the seller refuses further contact. This car fell well into your budget, why would you start trying to be that lowballing asshole?

This.

I don’t understand people most days. I’ve purchased numerous cars in my lifetime and not once have I asked anyone to guide me on price. I do my research, check my wallet and make an offer. Why on earth would you go waste someone’s time if you planned on insulting him with an offer of 60% of his asking price? If you thought his price was that out of line move on. Personally, after such an insulting offer, unless you showed up on my doorstep with cash in hand for the exact amount I’d tell you to go pound salt.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

This.

I don’t understand people most days. I’ve purchased numerous cars in my lifetime and not once have I asked anyone to guide me on price. I do my research, check my wallet and make an offer. Why on earth would you go waste someone’s time if you planned on insulting him with an offer of 60% of his asking price? If you thought his price was that out of line move on. Personally, after such an insulting offer, unless you showed up on my doorstep with cash in hand for the exact amount I’d tell you to go pound salt.

Same here.
I think the asking price is what this car is worth.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

This.

Same here.
I think the asking price is what this car is worth.

Guys wait a sec...Let me explain you first, then start judging me.

This car was on ebay as an Auction with starting price of $10K but with zero bid for four days. I contacted the seller and I told him I can just buy your car locally if you willing to negotiate. He said: sure, but I would like to wait for the auction to be ended if I could not sell the car then you call me and I will lower the price for you ( lower than $10K).

5 sec before Auction ended somebody bought the car for $10K and I though the car is sold and I moved to something else.

Yesterday, I checked Craiglist and I saw the car again ! so I called him and told him I tough you sold it he said no the buyer never paid the deposit and never contacted me.

so I asked him how much now? he said give me your best offer.

That is all... the car did not sell on ebay and Craiglist for more than 2 weeks or so even for $10K. My starting offer was $7K and I could go up to $9K ...I think this is fair?
I told you the story because I do not want you to think I am an asshole.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

There's the difference, you didn't mention that the seller wanted you to make an offer. Go see the car in person, take $2,000 as a deposit to show that you're serious & then negotiate in person AFTER having a pre-sale inspection done by a knowledgeable mechanic of YOUR choice. If you can come to an agreement, give them the deposit & get a receipt saying such & get the rest of the money & purchase it (or have them follow you to your bank.).

You need to see it in person to determine if you want to go further.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

I look at that car and I see something that is really pretty at first glance. Then I notice the painted wires, steering column, runs, mismatched ashtray, poorly painted spare(including wheel weights), painted VIN plate, overspray etc. and I wonder what other corners were cut and what is hiding underneath.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

I wondered how long before all this would be pointed out on that "shiny" bug Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Engine looks well sorted. Front turn signals in different locations..seems to be yellow? Poking thru by the hood springs and in the engine compartment. I would be looking for a car that hasn't been "restored"..original, clean cars can be found for that kind of money
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

type1abody wrote:
Engine looks well sorted. Front turn signals in different locations..seems to be yellow? Poking thru by the hood springs and in the engine compartment. I would be looking for a car that hasn't been "restored"..original, clean cars can be found for that kind of money

Prolly a garage paint job. Like your POS 65! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I really like the painted license plate light wire. How many cars have that kind of factory look?

To the OP.
Dude, really! Find a car that you can work with. One that is in the best condition, that you feel needs a little work to make perfect. To your standards. We all settle somewhere.

I settled with an ugly 67. That is a performer.
Ask "type1abody". I blow his doors off with regularity. Cool

You have to decide what your tolerance of getting things right is.
None of these cars are perfect.
They are at least 50 yo+. They have been passed down from one family member to another. Or sold off as a POS.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Going to test drive this one:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/64-vw-bug/6665121960.html

Why shifter is different ? Can I change it to stock ?
What you think overal?
It’s a 1600 engine, is it an advantage or disadvantage?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

The gear shift is nothing special. Just a bent extension on the stock lever.

A 1600cc engine will help get you out of trouble on the Bay area hiways. But it's not even close to stock on that car.

The window rubbers are the "cal look" type. Meaning they were cheap and easy to install. Rather than the original window seals that have the aluminum trim in the rubber. Those are a bitch to install!

The interior doesn't look stock off the assembly line either.

The car is pretty to look at. But to a purist, (I'm not one) things are a bit off.

That is not a 12k car. That may be what the seller has into it. But the market will not bare that kind of $$$$$.

Keep looking. Unless you really fall in love with this car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: