Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes make no sense
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

I will take some pictures.How did I order parts I went with early 60 to order parts this is on a Sandrail.One question was were they resurfaced there is all new parts from master to drums all parts are new.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
What is the diameter of the drums? If the drums have been machined the arch in the shoe will not match the drums and flex as you apply them untill they wear to the same arch of the drum. Back in the day, you used to bring your new brake shoes with the drums so the shoes could be re-arched to match the drums. They no longer do this as the sanding of the shoes blew asbestos everywhere.

I had to rearch several sets from suppliers. They never came in arched correctly. However, most times just taking the car for a test drive, brake shoe break-in, was often enough to get the interaction correct.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Booky wrote:
I will take some pictures.How did I order parts I went with early 60 to order parts this is on a Sandrail.One question was were they resurfaced there is all new parts from master to drums all parts are new.

Please do. I sure several people on here can identify the parts by the pictures.

Did the new parts, match the old parts, or were they not exactly the same?

Did you keep the old parts?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

I checked the star adjusters 3 of them were wrong way.Also have a picture of the brake.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Booky wrote:
I went with early 60 to order parts this is on a Sandrail.

What year of brake shoes did you order? 1960 would be wrong shoes, the adjusters were not angled so there was no way to put them on backward.
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

I don’t remember what shoes they are it’s been a while back that I bought them.But the adjusters were angaled so I switched them won’t be able to test drive till Wednesday.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

it looks right, but I can't really see enough in the picture to tell for sure

Note these backing plates have six raised pads the edge of the shoe sits on
These can use wide groove cylinders and adjusters

this is an older backing plate, it only has two pads to guide the shoe, so it needs early pads and narrow slot adjusters and cylinders which are NLA, OR replaced with a later backing plate

Your brake shoes have a part number, so you can google that and see what they fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: