Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

I'm trying to fit a new dual circuit brake Fluid bottle but having no luck getting the hoses on. Ive tried a light smear of grease, heating the hoses with hair dryer but not working. Any tips?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

Sounds like barbs on brake fluid reservoir are just to big for size of tubing you are trying to put on... Tubing will only stretch so far before it just is not going to happen....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
I'm trying to fit a new dual circuit brake Fluid bottle but having no luck getting the hoses on. Ive tried a light smear of grease, heating the hoses with hair dryer but not working. Any tips?

Someone - it will be me this time - wants to know if you're using the special type and size of brake fluid line here. Fuel line will not hold up here, dangerous.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
alansvwTwinCab wrote:

Someone - it will be me this time - wants to know if you're using the special type and size of brake fluid line here. Fuel line will not hold up here, dangerous.

Yes....spot on. The ONLY rubber hoses you can use with brake fluid are EPDM.....usually color coded blue.

The brake fluid will eat any fuel line short of teflon.

AND.....just as important.....when you do get the correct EPDM hose....you CAN NOT use ANY petroleum based grease or oils on it. You can only use PURE silicone based oils or greases or brake hydraulic assembly lubes.

EPDM....stands up to glycol ether and silicone based brake fluids.....but cannot work with any petroleum/VOC based chemicals
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Yes....spot on. The ONLY rubber hoses you can use with brake fluid are EPDM.....usually color coded blue.

except you can't go by the color anymore, blue is being phased out.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/N203501.html
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

except you can't go by the color anymore, blue is being phased out.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/N203501.html

Thats what I have been hearing....so sad nothing is that simple anymore. But....as long as its EPDM....it will be fine and at least you can buy that in many places.

Ray
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

I should have seen the problem.. the New bottle has larger sized barbs ,I'll just go get one with smaller barbs and problem solved.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

The one with the wrong fittings, were the holding tabs for the screws in the right location?
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

The original is the bottom one , replacement with angled barbs on top.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

On the replacement I think you will find the tabs are in the wrong location at least one of them is. Not sure what that reservoir is for, maybe a Wabbit or Dasher, maybe an Audi 100 (spit) but about ten years ago that style reservoir showed up and was sold as a bug replacement, amazing they are still around and being sold for bugs, I have one well had one, trash can ate it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Not sure what that reservoir is for, maybe a Wabbit...

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on connecting Brake fluid lined to bottle Reply with quote

sorted out hose problem, got a new bottle with smaller barbs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: