Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flywheel seal leakage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Ok, what am I doing wrong here:

I put the first 200miles on the karmann and every time I stop somewhere there was a puddle of oil under the car.
I took the engine out this morning - because I'm leaving on holliday tomorrow and this couldn't wait 2 weeks, altho my girlfriend seems to think otherwise Very Happy -

the leakage is coming from the flywheel seal, but here's the strange part: the seal is brand new and still looks brand new. the (lightened) flywheel is also brand new and shows no signs of wear what so ever...
what I did discover is when I put the seal over the flywheel (without puthing it in the engine) there is little or no resistance between the flywheel and the seal. is this normal?
it's the seal with single lip and the flywheel is a lightened one.

thank you

glauco
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Possibly flywheel is machined to small in area where seal rides?... It only takes a few thousands of a inch (mm) to allow oil to escape by...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my 1600cc engine 1.5 years ago, new oil seal. But it did leak at the flywheel seal, a spring had come loose, see picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a new seal and O-ring, now no leak.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mr.Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I just rebuilt my 1600cc engine 1.5 years ago, new oil seal. But it did leak at the flywheel seal, a spring had come loose, see picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a new seal and O-ring, now no leak.

That's what I thought at first, but the spring was still in place. My guess is Dale M. said that the diameter of the flywheel is machined just a tiny bit on the small side... not yet sure how I'm going to deal with that, I'll have to measure the diameter of the flywheel...
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

The secret to flywheel (and axle) seals is the spring. Find the ends of the springs and reset them a little tighter.
Mr.Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
The secret to flywheel (and axle) seals is the spring. Find the ends of the springs and reset them a little tighter.

I didn't know that! Thank you! I'm going to order a new one because I don't want to reinstall this one, it still looks like new but I don't want to risk it.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Quote:
Possibly flywheel is machined to small in area where seal rides?

Flywheels dont get machined in that area. No one makes over sized seals. If it was, you need a different flywheel

The depth of the seal in the case can cause leaks, depending on how far in the case it was set
Mr.Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:
Possibly flywheel is machined to small in area where seal rides?

Flywheels dont get machined in that area. No one makes over sized seals. If it was, you need a different flywheel

The depth of the seal in the case can cause leaks, depending on how far in the case it was set

I placed the seal all the way in, it was level with the case, I don't think I can place it any deeper, I would need to check...
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

I went and replaced three seals and then duh looked at the groove worn in the flywheel....replaced fly wheel leak gone!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Many times when cars drove into the shop leaking oil at the flywheel seal, after a customer self build, we would find that the drain hole was blocked full of sealant.

You may need to clear that drain hole, they get plugged very easily.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Mr.Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I went and replaced three seals and then duh looked at the groove worn in the flywheel....replaced fly wheel leak gone!

Flywheel is brand new..
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Mr.Oldskool wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

Flywheel is brand new..

In today's parts market that is scarrything....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

You did install the oring on the flywheel?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

Is the new flywheel a new aftermarket flywheel or is the new flywheel a new ( as if you just bought it ) german flywheel?

Seal needs to be installed straight and even. There can be no issues with the area the seal rides on the flywheel. Must be glass like smooth.

Lip of seal needs oiled after replacement, before motor is run or the lips will burn

Excess crank end play can causes leaks also
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

The seal actually goes a little deeper than flush with the case. Are you using a seal tool to install?

Also, are you sure it is not the tranny? I had a leak at the case/tranny mating surface after a clutch disc failure and I thought it was the flywheel seal. It turned out to be the transmission input shaft seal.
Mr.Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
You did install the oring on the flywheel?

Yes, o-ring was installed
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

I just had an issue with a new Chinese flywheel. Tried new seals, new o rings, sealant on face. Solution was an original German stock flywheel.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

The problem is most likely the flywheel BUT you may be able to fix it. I have found that using a brand new flywheel with a German case that doesn't have the oil return below the seal can cause a leak AFTER the engine is shut off. The problem is that the o-ring groove is cut too deep in the flywheel so it doesn't squeeze the o-ring tight enough around the crank.

IF this is the case, you can either replace the flywheel with a German one OR use permatex between the crank and flywheel.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

Flywheels dont get machined in that area. If it was, you need a different flywheel

inaccurate. that surface can be machined, and quite a bit, before you'd have sealing issues.

read this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696222
Mr. Oldskool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel seal leakage Reply with quote

for those who were wondering, it turned out to be the primairy shaft seal that whas leaking...
replaced both the seals (primary shaft and flywheel seal) and so far no leakages any more...

glauco
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: