Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

I already bought them. Webers would have been way too large for the build i did and the Kadrons allow room for improvements
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

crickifur wrote:
Kadrons allow room for improvements

You got that right! Wink
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Hahaha! I see someones not a fan! Honestly, i had the webers on my last two bugs. They are nice, when buulding larger engines, but they actually seemed to lag when mashing the throttle. I chalked it up to lower engine vacuum and possible overfueling. I have friends that swear by Kadrons and i LOVE the nastalgic look. Lets be honest, MOST of us arent winning drag races, outside of brackets, with our little toys anyway hahaha
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

I like the way you took my comment! I was a bit worried that I would offend you. No I am not into organized racing of any kind either, just a fun street ride.

I have had both 40 mm Kadrons and Weber 40s now on my Buggy. I spent a lot of time getting the Kadrons to run properly with moderate success although I never did get them to pull enough vacuum to run the pot on the distributor. They also went out of sync on a regular basis related I'm sure to the poor linkage they came with.

These Webers on the other hand worked well right off the start, hold a sync and have lots of vacuum to run the distributor. Smooth a silk from idle all the way up. I have driven new factory fuel injected vehicles that don't run as sweet as these carbs do. Instant response with no flat spots anywhere.

I do not believe that engine size has anything to do with it as these Weber 40 carbs were factory installed on 1300cc Alpha Romeos. It's all in the sizing of the chokes and spending the time jetting. The ability to match these carbs to your engine is where they shine.

Anyway have fun with your Kaddies, some folks swear by them and I am sure they can be made to run ok. My old set will most likely end up on my off road sand rail as they are definitely a step up from the solex single and the poor fuel mileage they got won't matter.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

No man its all good. I actually bought them feom Kaddieshack in Cali. They set them all up and they are supposedly the best with them. They also modify them for vacuum, change venturis, have a mich better linkage system (rotary) that they install etc. You tell them the engine build and elevation and they set it all up and guarantee it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Sweet! I wonder if they would install electric chokes on mine if I sent them in? I would be much happier with them on the rail if I could get it to start well in cold weather.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

I honestly dont know. I would give them a call. I have to say that they ha e been amazing so far though!!
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

So i ran into a slight problem. I was breaking down the cylinder heads and after removing the guides from 1 head, have found the guides to have a larger external diameter and the aftermarket valves that were in the head to ha e larger valve stems than normal. Does anyone know why? I am planning to research the serial numbers on the heads tomorrow but was hoping for some insite as i bought standard guides to install that obviously will not work...???
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Well... Im still trying to figure out what is up with the cylinder heads that came with the buggy when i bought it. Wanting to get on with the engine assembly, i decided it was marter to just buy some new ones so I bought 2 big valve heads instead. My new Kadrons from Kaddieshack arrived today and I couldnt be more excited. They just look sexy! I have a shop full of new engine parts, a painted cylinder block and cylinder tins and other various junk. More pics to come after assembly...
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

So the engine is officially alll painted! It will be black with anodized blue parts here and there (for now)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Making decent progress. I have many new parts on the way. I reassembled the crankshaft with new bearings, distributor drive gear and cam drive gear. Prepped the case for assembly and realized i have lost two crank bearing pins... Now im stuck waiting til later this week to get this thing together. The new were due wed. anyway but was trying to get a headstart. Darned projects are never easy haha
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

The new BIG VALVE heads are in! The wngine is so close. I guess its stupid that Im this excited but oh well haha

crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Ok so an update as it has been a while since I have touched anything to do with the buggy. My engine parts have been sitting prepped in my shop for over a month. I recently had knee surgery and have found myself with a decent amount of down time so figured i would try to get this thing together. The pictures below are my progress over the last 2 days. Its been a few hours at a time due to twin babies but I am loving how it is turning out. The build will be a 1641 with AA cylinders and big valve heads, oil sump, scat 1.25 ratio rockers, 110 cam, serpentine belt drive, upgraded alternator, igniter3 complete ignition system with SVDA distributor (dual advance), dual Kadrons (set up with the "magic" package and vacuum port for the distributor), lightened flywheel and other odds and ends. Didnt really want a big engine to start but decided if i were to go larger most of the important stuff can be swapped over.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT: If anyone reading this is thinking of installing the Empi "leak proof" pushrod tubes, be aware they are a PITA to install. I ended up using a long ratchet strap and a lot of foam padding to get the on as they have to be compressed a lot and it seemed the safest way to keep from the coomon torn silicone seal issue everyone seems to complain about. It worked but it was tedious and you really have to do one side at a time. They look GREAT once installed though I must say...

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Nice looking engine Very Happy ...I guess those springs were so strong that they popped the heads off before you took that last picture Laughing .

That buggy is going to look super clean once you get that engine and trans back in. ...looking forward to seeing more progress pics Popcorn
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

While the black paint looks nice on the engine for a short time, it will peel off and look horrible. It's why most recommend to not paint the case.

bnc
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Thanks for the replues gentleman. As far as the paint goes, i know itll chip and flake off after a little bit from the crank case. The tins will be fine though. However, its going in a manx clone and i have absolutely NO ISSUE with taking a few hours to pull the engine and touch up the paint every winter if need be. Ive had a couple VWS and have done exactly that with my baja i used to have. Too kuch of the engine shows to not look nice:) it actually becomes a bit of a centerpiece as it sticks roght out haha. Its a road car anyway, it wont see mud so it should hold out from flaking between seasons anyway.

Ibwas trying to finish the Assembly today and broke the flange on my cooling fan so i had to order a new one (i suspect it was cracked as it broke far too easily. I have aldo realised that the new heaterless fan shroud has NO HOLES for the throttle tube. I guess tomorrow ill make a template to atleast get a decent pilot hole set drilled out. Illadjust a bit after install of the Scat rotary linkage...
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Ok so the engine is together. Yes i know the paint on the block will eventually chip off, but this car will be lucky to see the road a day a week in the summer. IF i need to repaint every spring, ill do it, its easy enough. I have a flamethrower billet distributor and it will have a blue anodized serpentine belt system. Itll look nice under the red body

jpfahrstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

The steel fuel lines are a nice safe touch. Your engine is beautiful.
crickifur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY purchased a Berrien Nostalgia kit! Reply with quote

Thank you very much! It was honestly A LOT OF WORK but it sits out of the back end of the buggy so i wanted pretty hahaha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: