Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outlaw Ghia, 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Outlaw Ghia, 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

Time for me to start my topic about my 1972 Karmann Ghia.
Some general info to begin with:

I went looking for my dream car in 2011 and was looking for an early model, but after looking at a few affordable examples I soon realized that most needed a lot of work and i wanted a driver, because it is a car and cars need to be driven 😃
So i expanded my search and found a late model Ghia which was in good driving condition and decided to buy it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made a few small changes to the car to make it look even better.
Got myself a Petri steering wheel:

Made a speakerbox to fit the luggagecompartment behind the backseat:

And bought bucketseats from a Simca 1000 Rally and installed them.

Then I drove the heck out of it and used it as my daily driver for a few years till it broke down with charging problems. I replaced the altenator, but after a few months my brand new altenator refused to charge my battery again so the Ghia got a nice place in the parkinglot and sat there waiting for better times to come...
As some people will recognize, sometimes life gets in the way and the better times I promised my Ghia took much longer then I wanted..

But now the time has come to resurrect her from the dead, replace her rusted sheetmetal with new and spoil her with with some custom changes that, in my opinion, will make her gorgeous body lines pop even more.

To all the people that think a car needs to be all original I want to say that this is not the topic for you because I will change some things in her appereance.
Although I will promise it will be some tastefully done changes 😃

All comments are welcome but please keep it civilized and respectful.

Peace,
Tanoki

Last edited by Tanoki on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Welcome from a fellow resto-modder. The car looks good from here.
What are your planned mods?
Are you doing a pan-off rehab?

Glad you joined us,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

I never was a really big fan of the late model Ghia’s because of their big bulky bumpers and huge taillights and during the years it was parked I had time enough to make plans and look at pictures of other cars that might have components that I could use on the Ghia.
And when I thought something could work with the lines of the Ghia, I would search for the parts and get them.
So after collecting parts and looking for a place where I could work on the Ghia, I started working on the Ghia yesterday.

Here is the ghia in her new home:

I decided to start working on the backside first and took off the rear bumper and started mocking up the panels that I have collected.

I have always liked the early type 3 back lights with the flat lenses so i bought some and found some rear fender parts that house the lights in Belgium.

Also I thought that a recessed licence plate would add something to the back of the Ghia so searched pictures on the internet to see if I could find something that would work with the lines of the engine lid and found that the back lid of a type 3 Variant has almost the same horizontal line in it as a Ghia has.. only thing is, you have to flip it upside down 😃

Here are the panels mocked up.. to me it looks very promising ..
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Welcome from a fellow resto-modder. The car looks good from here.
What are your planned mods?
Are you doing a pan-off rehab?

Glad you joined us,
Emil

Ha Emil,

Thank you for your kind words!
The pan was solid as a rock when i bought the car and still looks to be in great shape but if during the work the body needs to get of the pan i won’t hesitate a second to take it off.
I took a quick peek at your topic and you have got a great project yourself!
Good luck with your work! I will read your topic when i have some free time 😃

Last edited by Tanoki on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

Today I started on the right rear corner to see if I could make the type 3 fender fit the rear corner of the Ghia.
The late model Ghia backlight is much wider that the type 3 taillight so it was a bit of a challange to make things fit but after some slicing and dicing I got it tacked in place.

And a back shot showing old versus new.

When I get started on the left side I will take some more pictures showing the difference in width of the taillights 😃

And that is it for this weekend, enjoy your Sunday!

Peace,
Tanoki
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Reminds me of the tail lights used on later Brazilian Karmann Ghias.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:

You are right, Volkswagen also used them on the Brazillian Ghia’s but the placement in the rear quarters is much more vertical. (See picture)
The way i placed them now, they have more rake

Thanks for commenting.

Last edited by Tanoki on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Tanoki wrote:
Hello fellow Sambanians,

I would leave the VW Variant upside down as it is. Totally awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Tanoki wrote:
Hello fellow Sambanians,

I would leave the VW Variant upside down as it is. Totally awesome.

Thanks, that is the plan.
Or do you mean the script? 😆 i’ll have to think about that 😂

Last edited by Tanoki on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Have to say I really like the way the seats and steering wheel look in that interior shot.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
Have to say I really like the way the seats and steering wheel look in that interior shot.

Ha Kurt912, thank you very much! I am very happy with the way it turned out 😃
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

I like the tail light mod -- I think it's better than the giant late model lenses too.

And I agree to leave the script upside down -- it'll really confuse the heck out of people Twisted Evil

You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

crazy tarzan wrote:
...You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think
You monster Shocked

All kidding aside, I like the "idea" of slanted Ghia headlights and am not opposed to doing it myself. The only reservation I have is that it usually ends up looking like a Christmas ham cut on the bias by creating an unnaturally sharp angle at the bottom of the light where it meets the upward curve of the lower fender. If the lens could be rounded over back to front and the body sheet metal reshaped with a more radiused curve, the mod could be made to look as if it was there all along. This "Ham" effect is made worse when the bumper is left off.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

You should have mounted those tail lights further up & back to give the Ghia some proper fins.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Tanoki wrote:
Hello fellow Sambanians,

Today I started on the right rear corner to see if I could make the type 3 fender fit the rear corner of the Ghia.
The late model Ghia backlight is much wider that the type 3 taillight so it was a bit of a challange to make things fit but after some slicing and dicing I got it tacked in place.

And a back shot showing old versus new.

Peace,
Tanoki

Tanoki wrote:
kurt912 wrote:

You are right, Volkswagen also used them on the Brazillian Ghia’s but the 0 in the rear quarters is much more vertical. (See picture)
The way i placed them now, they have more rake

Thanks for commenting.

I've always really liked VW Do Brasil's idea of using the early Type III flat style lenses for Karmann Ghia taillights, and you have certainly put a very interesting and unique slant on that idea. Smile

I'd be interested in seeing another photo of your conversion taken from the same angle as that photo of the Brazillian Ghia so we could really appreciate the difference in appearance between the two implementations.

It's nice that you have the necessary skills to turn your customization ideas into reality (or at least it appears as though you do, anyway).

Keep up the good work, and please continue to post photos of your progress.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
crazy tarzan wrote:
...You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think
You monster Shocked

All kidding aside, I like the "idea" of slanted Ghia headlights and am not opposed to doing it myself. The only reservation I have is that it usually ends up looking like a Christmas ham cut on the bias by creating an unnaturally sharp angle at the bottom of the light where it meets the upward curve of the lower fender. If the lens could be rounded over back to front and the body sheet metal reshaped with a more radiused curve, the mod could be made to look as if it was there all along. This "Ham" effect is made worse when the bumper is left off.

-----
Emil

Nailed it. When I see type 1 headlights I almost always see a downward slope in the fender (bug, 356). The upward curvature of the ghia fender conflicts with the downward curvature of these lights. To me these cars look more Alfa or Abarth than Porsche. I did however see a Ghia pic once where the headlights were recessed into the fender, like a Renault Alpine A110. Better looking modification in my opinion.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

crazy tarzan wrote:
I like the tail light mod -- I think it's better than the giant late model lenses too.

And I agree to leave the script upside down -- it'll really confuse the heck out of people Twisted Evil

You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think

I also like the slanted headlight modification if it is done correctly.
The Porsche 911 headlights look way better than the Beetle headlghts that some people put in, they are to big for my liking.

Last edited by Tanoki on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
crazy tarzan wrote:
You monster Shocked

All kidding aside, I like the "idea" of slanted Ghia headlights and am not opposed to doing it myself. The only reservation I have is that it usually ends up looking like a Christmas ham cut on the bias by creating an unnaturally sharp angle at the bottom of the light where it meets the upward curve of the lower fender. If the lens could be rounded over back to front and the body sheet metal reshaped with a more radiused curve, the mod could be made to look as if it was there all along. This "Ham" effect is made worse when the bumper is left off

-----
Emil

Nailed it. When I see type 1 headlights I almost always see a downward slope in the fender (bug, 356). The upward curvature of the ghia fender conflicts with the downward curvature of these lights. To me these cars look more Alfa or Abarth than Porsche. I did however see a Ghia pic once where the headlights were recessed into the fender, like a Renault Alpine A110. Better looking modification in my opinion.

So true! I have been thinking about modifying the front but am still not totally convinced. I would love to see that recessed modification if you have a picture of that.

Last edited by Tanoki on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You should have mounted those tail lights further up & back to give the Ghia some proper fins.

I have played with that idea while mocking up the fender but it didn’t work with the look that i am after.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Quote:

I've always really liked VW Do Brasil's idea of using the early Type III flat style lenses for Karmann Ghia taillights, and you have certainly put a very interesting and unique slant on that idea. Smile

I'd be interested in seeing another photo of your conversion taken from the same angle as that photo of the Brazillian Ghia so we could really appreciate the difference in appearance between the two implementations.

It's nice that you have the necessary skills to turn your customization ideas into reality (or at least it appears as though you do, anyway).

Keep up the good work, and please continue to post photos of your progress.

Thank you for your comment, I will take a better picture next time I am in the workshop and more pictures will follow Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: