Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outlaw Ghia, 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Tanoki wrote:
kurt912 wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
crazy tarzan wrote:
...You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think
You monster Shocked

All kidding aside, I like the "idea" of slanted Ghia headlights and am not opposed to doing it myself. The only reservation I have is that it usually ends up looking like a Christmas ham cut on the bias by creating an unnaturally sharp angle at the bottom of the light where it meets the upward curve of the lower fender. If the lens could be rounded over back to front and the body sheet metal reshaped with a more radiused curve, the mod could be made to look as if it was there all along. This "Ham" effect is made worse when the bumper is left off

-----
Emil

Nailed it. When I see type 1 headlights I almost always see a downward slope in the fender (bug, 356). The upward curvature of the ghia fender conflicts with the downward curvature of these lights. To me these cars look more Alfa or Abarth than Porsche. I did however see a Ghia pic once where the headlights were recessed into the fender, like a Renault Alpine A110. Better looking modification in my opinion.

So true! I have been thinking about modifying the front but am still not totally convinced. I would love to see that recessed modification if you have a picture of that.

I'll see if I can find the picture again.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
Tanoki wrote:
kurt912 wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
crazy tarzan wrote:
...You might also consider the controversial 'porsche headlight' mod - it might really look slick with the angled rear lights. I like the look of slanted headlights on ghias, but not everyone does Think
You monster Shocked

All kidding aside, I like the "idea" of slanted Ghia headlights and am not opposed to doing it myself. The only reservation I have is that it usually ends up looking like a Christmas ham cut on the bias by creating an unnaturally sharp angle at the bottom of the light where it meets the upward curve of the lower fender. If the lens could be rounded over back to front and the body sheet metal reshaped with a more radiused curve, the mod could be made to look as if it was there all along. This "Ham" effect is made worse when the bumper is left off

-----
Emil

Nailed it. When I see type 1 headlights I almost always see a downward slope in the fender (bug, 356). The upward curvature of the ghia fender conflicts with the downward curvature of these lights. To me these cars look more Alfa or Abarth than Porsche. I did however see a Ghia pic once where the headlights were recessed into the fender, like a Renault Alpine A110. Better looking modification in my opinion.

So true! I have been thinking about modifying the front but am still not totally convinced. I would love to see that recessed modification if you have a picture of that.

Found it and a Renault A110 that it reminds me of.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Actually I think the red car is a Willys A108 or A110 from Brazil, Licensed from Alpine. It was late last night when I posted.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
kurt912 wrote:
Tanoki wrote:
kurt912 wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
crazy tarzan wrote:
You monster Shocked

-----
Emil

Found it and a Renault A110 that it reminds me of.

Thanks for posting Kurt, looks interesting and could work with some fine-tuning Very Happy Very Happy
It is amazing to see what kind of modifications people have done to Ghia’s don’t you think?
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
Actually I think the red car is a Willys A108 or A110 from Brazil, Licensed from Alpine. It was late last night when I posted.

That is very interesting! I never knew there was a Brazillian version of the Alpine. I read they were produced as Willys Interlagos and around 850 were ever build.

Thanks for sharing
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

Today the saga continued so I thought it would be nice to share some pictures of the progress.

In the next foto you can see the difference in width between the rear fender and the new taillight. As you can see you need to narrow the rear fender to make the type 3 taillight fit.

I welded in the right taillight housing and ground down the welds.
Then I gave it a quick coat of zinc-spray for protection but also to see the spots that need some more work.
The welds need a little hammer and dolly work and it will be fine but i will take care of that when i have repaired the lower corner.

Testfitted the taillight and took a comparison picture of old versus new.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Nice work.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Great work, I love it!

Tanoki wrote:

It is amazing to see what kind of modifications people have done to Ghia’s don’t you think?

One of the best that I've seen was a yellow Ghia with a Squareback roof grafted on, the rear quarter glass was converted to one piece & it had Porsche headlights grafted in. I saw it at a couple car shows in the early 2000's.
https://binged.it/2mOKsB5

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Nice work.

-----
Emil

Quote:

One of the best that I've seen was a yellow Ghia with a Squareback roof grafted on, the rear quarter glass was converted to one piece & it had Porsche headlights grafted in. I saw it at a couple car shows in the early 2000's.
https://binged.it/2mOKsB5

Thanks guys!
I woukd love to see a picture of that yellow ghia! I followed your link but no yellow Ghia with a Squareback roof there... some very nice pictures there tho Very Happy

Last edited by Tanoki on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians!

It is time for a small update on this project.
My goal is to post a weekly update but I haven’t had time to work on the project this past weekend because we went to Le Bug Show in Spa, Belgium.
What a great weekend with over 3000 aircooled vw’s!
We have seen some great cars and managed to find a few bits and pieces at the swapmeet. Smile

This small update is on the wheels.
I really like the look of the American Racing Saltflat wheels but I don’t think they are available in 4x130 over here so I looked at available wheels that I could use to resemble that look.

First I found some really rare 14” BWA magnesium wheels but they didn’t fit the ghia due to the front diskbrake calipers so that plan had to go...

Then I looked at Sprintstars and thought that I could make them resemble the American Racing Saltflat wheels by having them blasted and powdercoated in a flat gray finish. I havn’t seen this been done before so that will add to the unique look that I am after.

After powdercoat, I painted the outerring.

Then I mounted the tires.
175/55-15 at the front and 185/65-15 at the back.

Here they are mocked up against the car. I really the look!

Last edited by Tanoki on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

It's a bit late but they do make drums & rotors drilled for 5x5" or 5x5.5" patterns if you just had to have them but there would probably be offset issues.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

you should take a comparison pic now with the wheels mocked up on the other side with the changes Cool
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Tanoki wrote:

I woukd love to see a picture of that yellow ghia! I followed your link but no yellow Ghia with a Squareback roof there... so e very nice pictures there tho Very Happy

Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It's a bit late but they do make drums & rotors drilled for 5x5" or 5x5.5" patterns if you just had to have them but there would probably be offset issues.

It is not that I have to have them but I like the way they look very much. I am really happy with how the Sprintstars turned out and they simulate the look of the Saltflats.
But thanks for the info, who knows on a future project Cool
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

crazy tarzan wrote:
you should take a comparison pic now with the wheels mocked up on the other side with the changes Cool

Too late, i already cut the otherside out Very Happy but i will take a picture with the wheels on when i’ll put the car back on the ground..
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Tanoki wrote:

I woukd love to see a picture of that yellow ghia! I followed your link but no yellow Ghia with a Squareback roof there... so e very nice pictures there tho Very Happy

Thanks for the picture, that must have been a crazy amount of work!
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

This weekend I have got some work done to the Ghia.
I started on the left rear corner and cut out the original taillight housing..

Here you can see the difference in width between the old and the new.

Found some hidden bondo on the left fender. I know that the original owner repainted the car from its original green to the gray it is now when the car was around ten years old and this dammage might be the reason why..

Then i started to reform the metal to make the type 3 taillight housing fit the Ghia body and tackwelded it into place.

Ofcourse I had to put in the taillight to see what it looked like 😃

After that I started to cut up the Ghia decklid and the type 3 Variant tailgate so i could see if i could make it fit Ghia.. (sorry guys, the vw-variant logo had to go Crying or Very sad ) and here is the result.. I like it

And that was it for this weekend.. I hope all of you had a great weekend and maybe got some work done yourself 😎
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Ha Fellow Sambanians,

Time for an other update Very Happy

I have been busy slicing and dicing the type 3 panel to get it to fit and follow the contoures of the Ghia tailgate.
i dont want it to look as an after thought but I want it to look like it has always been in there.

First I made the outlines work,

Next step was to cut some more and make the inner side to line up,

Next step was to cut the back panel to size and tag weld them together,

Followed by cutting some metal patch strips to fill in the gap and tag weld them into place,

And here you can see how it follows the contoures of the tailgate perfectly.

Happy days Very Happy

Cheers!
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambanians,

Update time Very Happy

Before finishing the insert panel I wanted to do an other modification and that is a modification to the locking mechanisme of the engine lid.
Atho the cable operated locking mechanisme is a very clean looking solution because all is hidden, I have also read some horror stories about braking cables.
I have seen some great modifications, here on the Samba, so you can open the engine lid when it happens but I decided to go an other route..

So I started looking around for a handle that I could make work and would also look like it belonged there all along.
The handle of my choise is the handle of a classic Mini because i like the overall shape and it comes with a keylock so i can lock it from the outside.

So i got a handle and a locking mechanisme and started the modification.

First I started with mounting the handle.

After that I folded some sheetmetal to make a housing for the locking mechanisme and testfitted it.

And it works, so now its on with the insert panel.

Cheers
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia remodel/rebuild Reply with quote

So back to the insert panel it is..

I finished welding the the panel and ground the welds down.

Then took the panel back to bare metal and screwed it into place.

Fitted the panel to the decklid and started tackwelding it into place.

Then I realized I forgot to make the holes for the new licenceplate lights so I had to do that with the panel tacked into place. Ah well Very Happy

I wanted to put in Hella licenceplate lights to keep it all German so I orderd some online... made in India Shocked

Testfitted the lights and mocked up the licenceplate to see what it looked like, and here it is..

Next step is finish welding and grinding the panel.

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: