Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

As title states please

Thanks
Doc
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

A couple of friends of mine have them on their cars.
One is a type3. The other is a type 1 40HP.
The 40HP has a great sound. Kinda a low rumble. I think of a Harley when I hear it run.

The type 3, Has a higher pitched sound to it. But not much higher than the type 1. One thing that happened to the T3. One of the O2 sensor plugs fell out of the muffler. The VS exhausts come with two O2 sensor bungs installed.

Engine tuning with a wideband is difficult with a VS exhaust system. You get inaccurate readings on the sensor. Because your really only sampling one side of the engine. Rather than all 4 cylinders. Like when the O2 sensor bung is installed in a 4 into 1 header collector.

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck.
docdanracy wrote:
As title states please

Thanks
Doc

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

I was very impressed with the quality of the muffler even down to the packaging. The fit is very good, and my engine is wider due to the 74mm CW crank. The heat risers bolted up very nicely too. Should have it running in the next few weeks, so can't comment on the sound, but was looking forward to a lower tone, so I think I'll like it. It's expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

I put one on my 1600 with dual Kadrons, I was tired of ugly headers and mufflers that hung under the car, and wanted a more stock-ish look. I pulled off the old header and quiet pack setup, and bolted it on. I really like it, deeper burble sort of sound, that is actually pretty quiet at idle, but has a satisfying deep tone under heavy acceleration or at higher RPM. I was afraid it might be too loud on the freeway, but it actually has a nicer tone than the quiet pack, so it's actually much more pleasant.

Fit was perfect, and adjustment range was great. Came with all gaskets, and perfectly serviceable hardware for installation.

Looks good.

No noticeable loss of performance from a "real" header type system for me.

Sounds good.

Excellent ground clearance!

Only downside is the price. Highly recommended.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Good info
With heat exchangers you have to buy adapters to go from stock heat exchangers to flanges on the muffler?

docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Good info
With heat exchangers you have to buy adapters to go from stock heat exchangers to flanges on the muffler?

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Thanks guys
Good info

You have to select the preheat primaries option when you order the system, which is $20 dollars more. They're the White items in my picture. They are actually also Stainless Steel covered in a White fiberglass firebraid to reduce the heat on the adjacent fresh air hoses.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

I really like the Vintage Speed exhaust on my bug. They were the only company that offered a high performance exhaust that works with big-bore motor that is still running heat and has a single outlet option to fit the factory bodywork of a late model Fuel Injected bug. Sounds awesome, much more throaty than stock sound or others I have heard and the build quality is truly top notch. Welds are bordering on art!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

I got the quiet version, still loud. Not really the strongest construction.

There's an ongoing discussion here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687693

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust...anyone using them and impressions Reply with quote

I have a VS muffler on my '74 Thing.
It's big, ugly, and too loud...but it's the best option available to me.
(The last NOS stock '74 thing exhaust went for well over a grand; I actually met the guy that bought it!

Anyway, the build quality looks good, and fitment was easy.
I should have had it Jet Hot coated black before it was installed just to make it less visible. Maybe I will do that over the Winter.

I highly recommend the CSP hoses for the heat exchangers.

I used the regular VW wide band clamps on the lower ends.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: