Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Electrical issues Reply with quote

I have a zwitter that I restored 25 years ago. I cleaned, restored and replaced every electrical component including the wiring harness. When I turn on the headlights there is a voltage drop that effects the wipers and semaphores. I've had it checked out by a few mechanics and I ended up rebuilding the generator which helped a little. I also checked the voltage at the headlight switch and fuses and it all checks out 5.5 volts or better.
Any thoughts?
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Did you check all terminals/contacts?
Also ... when you restored your car so many years ago, .. did you solder all ends of the wires? If yes then this can be the guilty one as solder becomes soft during the years and you will get into problems with bad connections.
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

This has been a total mystery. I had two vw mechanics check it out.
I didn't solder the ends, but I'm thinking maybe the new harness could be the problem. One mechanic told me to try to find NOS headlight bulb holders and new bulbs.
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Are you running your windshield wipers and semaphores with the engine running or off?
If off, try it with the engine running. Normal voltage should be ~6.4 VDC.

The fuse block and headlight switch could both be affecting the wipers and semaphores.

Solder the connections on the back of the fuse block to ensure no high resistance.

Headlight switches can also have high resistance. Take it apart and clean the contacts and re-grease.

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Peter T. wrote:
I have a zwitter that I restored 25 years ago. I cleaned, restored and replaced every electrical component including the wiring harness. When I turn on the headlights there is a voltage drop that effects the wipers and semaphores. I've had it checked out by a few mechanics and I ended up rebuilding the generator which helped a little. I also checked the voltage at the headlight switch and fuses and it all checks out 5.5 volts or better.
Any thoughts?

I guess what I would do is isolate everything and test... pull all the fuses. So, all that works are the headlights... maybe even isolate one headlight and test each one separately and then together
I got new bulbs at Bughaus.com
What happened when you race the engine, while use the accessories? Any difference
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Totally appreciate the input. I'll give ideas a more thoroough try. I've already gone through the headlight switch and the fuseboxes and found no resistance. I also run the motor with these issues still there. If I rev the motor over 2200rpms it helps. Still haven't thoroughly checked bulbs and bulb holders.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

AndrewCologne wrote:
did you solder all ends of the wires? If yes then this can be the guilty one as solder becomes soft during the years
Not trying to derail the thread at hand but.. I'm not sure about the validity of solder being used at a connection & then causing current loss...

Every early VW I've ever owned (though never owned a split) I have always tinned wire connection ends (always using silver solder) as well as using or re-using factory style brass (?) wire leads (which were originally soldered in as well) and from either of those methods I have never ever had any of them "soften" and be a cause of a current leach, ever...

So just sort of wondering why tinning wire connection ends would be a cause of current draw...
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
AndrewCologne wrote:
did you solder all ends of the wires? If yes then this can be the guilty one as solder becomes soft during the years
Not trying to derail the thread at hand but.. I'm not sure about the validity of solder being used at a connection & then causing current loss...

Every early VW I've ever owned (though never owned a split) I have always tinned wire connection ends (always using silver solder) as well as using or re-using factory style brass (?) wire leads (which were originally soldered in as well) and from either of those methods I have never ever had any of them "soften" and be a cause of a current leach, ever...

So just sort of wondering why tinning wire connection ends would be a cause of current draw...

Bare copper will corrode over time and turn green. This green film does not pass current well and may create a voltage drop. That is one of the reasons for tinning. As someone also pointed out, as there are no spring properties with solder, over time, with vibration, etc, these connections can become loose. I was just about to pull a slow/intermittent cranking starter in my '57 when I wen around with a screwdriver and tightened all of the connections behind the dash and voila! Fixed. That should be the first step in troubleshooting any electrical problem on a screw term car.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

X2 ^^

Checking tightness of all screw terminals and quality of wire ends should be an annual "Service" item on all screw terminal cars. The solder itself is not the problem, they came that way from the factory. Good to avoid acid core solder though, when making repairs....the copper strands inside an insulated wire can oxidize badly but remain undetected.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Do you have a spare voltage regulator you can try . Have you tested the generator by grounding the field wire with wires disconnected with engine running .
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Just had the generator rebuilt and regulator tested by a "Bosch" guy, generator is putting out 6.5-7 volts. I have had this issue going back 23 years when the repro harness was new so wire corrosion doesn't seem to be the issue....rusty threads?
I just thought of running a thread tap into anything that is holding something electrical.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

I wouldn't be concerned about the screw term thread contact,but you could run a small round file through the bore that the the wire goes through.

If you want to get technical, you can use a volt meter (DC volts) and some clip leads and "hunt down" the voltage drop. I'd start the car, turn on the headlights then measure the voltage right on the battery terminals for reference. Then (you'll need to make one very long clip lead) measure the voltage between the pos term at the battery, and the positive wire terminal at whatever device you are trying to find the drop for, headlight, sem (when on) whatever. In an ideal situation, you'd get 0 volts, no drop. But there is always some.

Now start moving the lead back from the device, toward the battery. Measure from battery + to the next terminal point to that device, probably either a switch or a fuse holder. Keep working your way back toward the battery in the circuit and not the values.

Say you see a 2 volt drop at the sem + terminal (its the lower one, black/white or black/green wire there. Then at the sem switch term you get .4 volts, then at the fuse box you get .2 volts, then at the big red wire term on the back of the headlight switch (I think, I don't know Zwitters wiring as well as I know split dashes) you get .1 volts.

That would tell you that most of the drop is 1.6 volts lost between the sem switch and the sem. So suspect either the wire or term connections. Clean the term connections, if that drop is still there, then it is the wire. Verify it by using your really long clip lead and "jumper out" the sem wiring, clip right on the sem switch then around the side of the car to the sem on the other end?

Make sense? Tedious, but I have done this in the past in tough situations where voltage is getting lost somewhere in the car.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Ground straps !

Make sure to check them, specially the one between gearbox and chassie,
Bad ground can cause all sorts of weird trouble.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Brezelmeister wrote:
Ground straps !

Make sure to check them, specially the one between gearbox and chassie,
Bad ground can cause all sorts of weird trouble.

Good point Brezelmeister; I was wondering when that would get mentioned. Just may be the simplest solution to the problem.
What VW purist doesn't love simplicity? Question Wink
Good luck eliminating possible causes. Arrow
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Ok I finally got around to cleaning and replacing the ground strap from the transaxle to the chassis. Made everything better and brighter. The semaphores still struggle a little with the lights on.
I checked the generator and its putting out 7.3 volts so I was thinking about putting a thinner ground strap from the generator to the body.
Any thoughts?
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Peter T. wrote:
..... so I was thinking about putting a thinner ground strap from the generator to the body.
Any thoughts?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

So it seems that I solved the electrical issue with running an extra insulated generic cable from the trans to the chassis.
What is the functional difference between a generic battery cable and the OEM braided cable?
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

One had a good connection, the other did not. Put an ohm meter on it and check resistance.
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

resistance checks out good. Just wondering the difference between the braided cable vs a insulated cable.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Peter T. wrote:
resistance checks out good. Just wondering the difference between the braided cable vs a insulated cable.

Electrically, there is none...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: