Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
christos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I got a swivel adaptor for the driver's seat for a 2002 eurovan weekender
but will not fit due to the aux battery being taller by an inch or inch and a half.
Eurocampers suggested a get a shorter battery but so far i have not been able to find one.
Any suggestions ?
Thank you
Christos
ebowk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

Christos,

About three years ago I upgraded to the aux battery that GoWesty (Power Patrol SLA1180) recommends but I ordered it from my local Interstate Battery dealer for a lot less money. It has worked really well as it powered my ARB 50 qt fridge for a 53 day trip across the country and back without ever skipping a beat.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/auxiliary-battery/4507/larger-sealed-lead-acid-battery-auxiliary-?v=

Last year, I added the swivel adaptors from Eurocampers to both of the front seats in my 2003 Weekender and the driver's side comfortably cleared the battery; however, I did NOT use a hold down bracket over the battery as it really has nowhere to go in the space.
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

i had the exact same problem. I ended up getting a swivel base from the uk for the drivers side to avoid raising the seat, i used the eurocamper swivel adapter on the passenger side. I also upgraded my aux battery to a 125 ah battery and moved it under the passenger side seat. I love the setup.

Please see my contributions on a previous post with additional good information from others.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238288&start=40

Cheers!
christos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

pwcqecko

Thank you for your feedback.
Which battery did you end up installing under the passenger seat and will it fit with the eurocamper swivel that i installed ?
I am planning for the driver's side to purchase the UK swivel and its base since i do not like how the passenger seat got raised.
Do you think the uk one will fit your battery or the pawer patrol sla 1180 gowesty sells?

Christos
pwcgecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

christos wrote:
pwcqecko

Thank you for your feedback.
Which battery did you end up installing under the passenger seat and will it fit with the eurocamper swivel that i installed ?
I am planning for the driver's side to purchase the UK swivel and its base since i do not like how the passenger seat got raised.
Do you think the uk one will fit your battery or the pawer patrol sla 1180 gowesty sells?

Christos

the UK base won't fit a battery under the base. that is why i had to move to the passenger side. That being said, the stock passenger base with the eurocamper swivel fit the battery i purchased which was a sealed battery that you can lay down flat side ways. It is a bit expensive but it will give you a big upgrade on the stock auxiliary battery. i can run my electric cooler for a few days without any issues. Do note you, it is easier to hook up all your extra battery accessories and connectors before placing the swivel base on top. it will still be a bit accessible from the front, but somewhat difficult to work in the small space.

Amazon:
Vmaxtanks SLR125 AGM 12V 125ah Battery for Solar Wind Power Emergency Backup Generator PV panel or Charger AGM 12V VMAX Battery (12 Volt 125Ah Group 31 AGM Solar Battery)
by VMAX Solar
Link: http://a.co/bqDt2DV
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: weekender driver's swivel and the aux battery Reply with quote

the vmaxtanks battery looks great. fyi there was a good thread awhile back that covered aux batteries.

Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade

the takeaway from that thread was this napa battery.

NAPA Group 94R size AGM battery

it looks good but i noticed that it's not listed by napa as being a deep cycle design.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: