Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 x 94 Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Following still working out details of my winter project 78 x 94 race motor. What part of PA are you in, I am outside Philly?
http://s207.photobucket.com/user/JoeE13/library/FFR%20Cobra?sort=3&page=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Seems strange to me having to answer that. My parents have recently divorced so I live part time with both, joint custody I think they call it.
So I guess the best thing to say is a little nort of Harrisburg, PA.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

I have been looking at the HPMX carbs a little while I wait for my Mom to get ready, She is taking me over to my Unkles house because they have had lots of rain this week and have some things that need fixed. My Aunt doesn’t know how to run the tractor so I get paid to fix the ruts in the driveway with it and get paid for it.

Anyway while looking at the HPMX carbs I came up with some questions.
The add in car craft said they don’t work with stock fan shroud and I have all factory dog house fan shroud and cooling tin.
My understading was the CB performance offset manifolds and linkage will work with stock fan shroud and fit inside with a little work.
So if I buy the HPMX kit and then have to buy a set of intake manifolds and linkage it really doesn’t seem like I am saving much.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

A while back when I was using HPMX stuff, I would buy the kit from Car Craft, and then buy the manifold and linkage kit from CB. Then I would leave all the Empi linkage parts wrapped up and sell them and the manifolds in the classifieds here for $85.

I have since been using AA or Ebay clone carbs on CB manifolds/linkage with pretty good success.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

I would not waste $ on old wore out webbers. also there is not a this cam has to have duel springs to work. fk8 works great with singles as do many others.unless you just like to bounce off the rev limiter being stupid. and yes get the cb unitech rods, less clearancing Ive used many sets.I have a set of scats on the shelf, there big and heavy.very nice but smaller works eazer and no issues.I think I use the 163 cam one tyme,I wasent impresed and did not want to use it but I wasent paying for it and the ex~spurts told the owner thats the bees knees....
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Have you used the FK 42 or 43 ?

My uncle seems to have used a lot of different cams but it seems he uses more Engle cams than the others. My Aunt took me for a ride in His 70 Beetle to Burger King and back and all I can say is that car flies. I am almost positive she had the front wheels off the ground when she shifted into second gear Shocked
Don’t know exactly what is in it except that it’s a 2332 with 48 Webber’s and it has an Engle cam but no clue which one.
I now understand why my Dad doesn’t want him to just build what he wants, you really have your hands full with a motor like that!

Right now must get back to work, the neighbor needs his driveway graded also and I need the money.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Your Dad seems to be a proper VW Junkie. This is good. Just curious, does your dad have any idf webers laying around? If you found a single 40idf, I have a spare 40idf in good shape I would send ya. Then you would just need a manifold and linkage kit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
If you found a single 40idf . . .

Hey J . . . aren't there some Webers that have holes in the butterflies . . . for single, center-mount applications, or is that only a HPMX thing?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
jpaull wrote:
If you found a single 40idf . . .

Hey J . . . aren't there some Webers that have holes in the butterflies . . . for single, center-mount applications, or is that only a HPMX thing?

Good question! I have no idea. I have a low mile spain idf that was ordered as a singlemount, but then I powered a 4.3 chevy off of it for awhile. When I get home I will check the butterflies on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

This is a little different than someone just being a VW junkie.
My Dad was into them many years ago and sold everything before I was born.
So there are not many parts around, I did find some odd stuff in the loft of the barn but it was mostly stock carbs and single port heads. All the good stuff has been long gone.

My Uncle has parts both new and used. He is the one who gave me the crankshaft and engine case to start the build with.

The good news of the day is I earned some real money today and will be ordering a set of connecting rods and bearings real soon. Want to hold off till I can afford some other things to save on shipping by getting it all at once.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

I like this young man.
He has the drive to work for what he want's. Gets his hands dirty and clothes all dusty grading the driveways in Pa. Bravo Dude!

Most young folks these day's want us to #gofundthem. Not this guy. Applause

If you need anything that I can stick in the mail to help you out. Just let me know. If I have it and don't need it. I'll send it to ya.

I sent a set of oil pump gaskets to a fella in Maine last week, free of charge.
I didn't need them and he did.

Besides, old dudes like me need all the karma we can muster this late in life. Shocked

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Don’t give me too much credit!

The thought of making a list of what I need and seeing what will come is tempting. Problem is both my Dad and Uncle would be very disappointed in me and I am not so sure I could deal with that.
I do know that when the time comes if I made a mistake or am short something that they will help me out but I really want to prove I am capable of doing most of it myself.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Still looking at different cams and one question I really need an answer to is what is the recommended lift for the Panchito heads with dual springs. Please remember I need this to last a while but still have some real power.

Is going over 500 lift too much for th springs?
Should I consider the 500 lift mentioned as a safe high point or is the 522 and 530 of the two Engle cams a realistic expectation?

The problem I see is I had been thinking a 1.3 ratio rocker but the only ones I see that are 1.3 are very costly. It seems it costs less to go with a 1.4

Are the 1.4 rockers from Bugpack any good because I found an Unused set locally for a lot less than anything on line.

Again thanks to everyone for the help, advice, compliments and answers I have been given so far.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

From my experience, and a few others, I would NOT buy CB 1:3's.

I would not go over .500 lift either. You will have less issues that go with high lift cams. Simply better chances of a long lasting street engine at .500 and less, + more torque
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

My understanding from what I have read so far is that having more lift won’t have any major negative effect on bottom end providing the heads are built to to flow to the lift the cam will give.
The other thing is that the ramp speed being faster or the vale opening faster due to ratio rockers will effect the bottom end with improved torque.
Right now I am very confused and going back to read everything again!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Yes cams can be confusing. They do so many things.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Most of the cheaper ratio rockers will not get you the lift ratio they advertise. The bolt-on style 1.25's only provide 1.18. I had a set of Empi 1.4's that ended up with 1.48. Sometimes its good, sometimes not.

Maybe a set of AA 1.25 would provide closer to a 1.3? I don't know. I haven't tried them yet. A Web 163 with true 1.25's will still lift .480" which will be fine.

It is hard to compare cams just using the numbers listed in advertisements. General rule of thumb in my experience is this.

Web=Best power, quietest, most accurate, most $$. Run Scat lifters with Web.
Engle=decent power with some of their cams, numbers all over the place, ancient outdated cam grinds. Super heavy lifters.
CB=Same power or slightly better then Engle, a little more accurate then Engle, some can be noisy, TONS of grinds to choose from, least $$, and good matching CB lifters.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Webcams on the ep-12 blank work fine with the very good CB light weight lifters. Although when the webcam is on the sc1 blank the scat lifters should be used.

Dan
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

almost everything you have asked is answered here:

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-engines/

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 x 94 Questions Reply with quote

Just read that to My Unkle

He told me he has seen more broken aftermarket I beams than reworked stock rods.
He also said that you must take what others say into account but don’t take it as gospel. Apparently he has used reworked stock rods for many years without a failure and thinks anyone who thinks a single carb is the only way to go for an off road car is severely limiting themselves. He did however say there is a lot of good advice in there and apparently knows the guy who wrote it from when he lived in California.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: