Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

The wiring in my son's 67 is spliced poorly in many places from previous owners, and we've had a long suffering short that is frying the wires going to the ignition switch, so the bus isn't runnning now.

Part of me wants to be done with the ugly wiring and install a new harness throughout, but I know that has its own perils.

I install harnesses on a different type of machine almost every day at work, so I'm comfortable with the process, but they're not the same as a bus.

Any tips or cautions from those of you that have done a replacement? Best places to buy? What to avoid?
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Its a lot less daunting once you have the old harness out and start running the new one. Just follow the wiring diagram supplied and you should be able to knock it out in a day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Toss in an inline 8A fuse for the parking lights (gray wire feeding the left and right headlights.) That seems to be a common problem for buses resulting in a lot of smoke and a fried wire from the headlight to the light switch
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I bought a new harness from Wolfsburg West and it was pretty easy. I enlarged the hole slightly with a Uni Bit where the harness goes up into the nose from underneath, made life much easier. I taped the harness up really tight with electrical tape to make it pass thru all the tight spots easier. I cut my old harness midway along the frame rail then tightly taped the front of the new harness to the back of where I cut the old one and pulled it through using the old harness to tug, then repeated the same for the back of the harness.
After that I just followed the diagram and connected everything.
I did the same method on the dome light harness. Taped it to the old harness and pulled it through. Taping it to a coat hanger also helps if necessary.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I actually enjoyed doing this one. Print the diagram and laminate it, Staples will do both in large enough format. Make sure not to pull the old one out w/o bailing wire, fish tape or the new harness attached (securely) to it. I helped a friend run a new harness through w/o having anything to fish it through with. It had belly pans and was a bitch.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I just did a complete wiring harness on my 62 crew cab and bought it direct from Wiring Works. If you spend the time to do everything correctly including cleaning and replacing all ground connections, cleaning all your switches connection points and soldering the fuse block you should never have anything to worry about. It's a ton of time doing everything correctly especially if you're doing it by yourself but the results will be amazing!!! I finally have one of my buses where everything works properly..... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
I just did a complete wiring harness on my 62 crew cab and bought it direct from Wiring Works. If you spend the time to do everything correctly including cleaning and replacing all ground connections, cleaning all your switches connection points and soldering the fuse block you should never have anything to worry about. It's a ton of time doing everything correctly especially if you're doing it by yourself but the results will be amazing!!! I finally have one of my buses where everything works properly..... Very Happy

BOTH brake lights? OMFG!!!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I bought a new wiring harness for my 1967 bus at VWlooms.com and was very satisfied with the quality.
You als get a correct wiring diagram with it.
It was fitting well and every connector also was soldered, so very good quality.
When you have questions during the fitting, a guy named Jon Aaron answers your questions in a reasonable time also.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
turkis-deluxe wrote:

BOTH brake lights? OMFG!!!!
hahaha yeah ya dick!!!
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Remove and bead blast EVERY connector/socket/spade the harness goes to. There's a big difference between doing something and doing something right...….
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Cut your old harness about 1/2 foot before the fuse box and at the the other end also. That way the spades and colored wires are left connected and you don’t have to play guesswork. I would still double check they’re right before you turn the key. Also, I’m sure someone above mentioned tying a thin string to the old harness when you pull it out. Threading it back in is easier that way. Also Soldering connections is always a good bonus step.

I’ve had a wiring works harness for somewhere around 5 years and been happy with it. Most places just resell theirs, so may as well buy direct.
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great tips, I'll follow up and let you know how it went.

Edit: I just ordered from Wiring Works and they've got the full harness on sale for $239.00 with free shipping.

Bonus time!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I recently installed a Wiring Works harness following a full repaint- that meant the old harness was pulled several years ago. It took me about 2-1/2 hours flying solo under my '65 double cab. I used cardboard sheets as back surfing boards and slid around feeding some wire, pulling a little, and so on. I fed fish wires from the front and from the back toward the middle- and fished the harness from the middle outward. I'd never heard of that technique- but I knew while doing it alone it might be the only timely way.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

I've been kicking this idea around too. I hope I can use the old harness to pull the new one in, belly pans are my biggest concern. Confused

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Lube!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Its easy as taking a dump....follow all the above, I did it and am an electrical retard.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

You don't need lube. If you don't run a string, a home style "fish tape" works fine to get it through the framerail. Tape up the wires on each end with masking tape to make a point, that will make it easy to feed. I start in the middle and work out, you'll know when it's forward/backward enough by when the starter wires fit right.

Once it's run, hooking up everything is fairly straightforward, the directions are great. Like I said earlier, the biggest mistake guys make is not cleaning everything properly. I've re-done a lot of bad wiring work in my life.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Pacmanfever wrote:
Thanks for all the great tips, I'll follow up and let you know how it went.

Edit: I just ordered from Wiring Works and they've got the full harness on sale for $239.00 with free shipping.

Bonus time!

How did you order directly?
Reedster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

Wiring works
(310)519-8147
2025 S. Mesa St. San Pedro Ca. 90731
I ordered one last week.
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Wiring Harness Swap, any tips? Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:

Can someone explain, with pics, "soldering the fuse block"? I am about to tackle this myself and will be using a WW 6 fuse fuse block.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: