Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

Edit: with front drums and dual wheel cylinders. Just curious as air rises so I would think it would make it a little harder to bleed from the lower wheel cylinder rather than the upper. I don't have a Bently (yet) so would you bleed from the lower, then when no more air, crack the upper hose connection during bleeding? Or is bleeding from the lower sufficient?

Thanks,
Mike
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.

Last edited by MikeyM73 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

The bottom screw is for purging old fluid that accumulates crap in it. You are correct, you can only effectively purge air from the top caliper screw.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

Oops.. I'm so sorry.. I mis-spoke. This is for a friends bay window with front drums and dual wheel cylinders where the bleeder screw is on the bottom wheel cylinder. Same deal?
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Oops.. I'm so sorry.. I mis-spoke. This is for a friends bay window with front drums and dual wheel cylinders where the bleeder screw is on the bottom wheel cylinder. Same deal?

Each wheel cylinder deserves its own bleeder. Air can get trapped in either wheel cylinder (think of a car under water with an air pocket at the rear window)
Colin
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

I could be mistaken but doesn’t the rubber brake hose attach to the upper wheel cylinder and then a hard brake line inside the drum connects to the lower. That would make the exit want to be on the lower I think
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

So, I have a question. This is the left front bleeder screw on my 1970 Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How do you flush your brake fluid? Since it is on the bottom, if I open it, it is very possible to get air into the cylinders and then very hard to get it out.

What is the correct procedure?
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

How do you flush your brake fluid? Since it is on the bottom, if I open it, it is very possible to get air into the cylinders and then very hard to get it out.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

HarryFD wrote:

Following the Bentley prodecure(s!,) the brake bleeder screw should never be open without pressure on the brake lines, either from the pedal or power pressure bleeder. This way, you'll never let additional air in.

I have personally bled the front brakes on my early bay by the book, THEN by bleeding at the rubber hose/upper cylinder junction like you're thinking, then by the book again. While I may be slacking in my star adjustment, the system is solid and free of air…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
HarryFD wrote:

Following the Bentley prodecure(s!,) the brake bleeder screw should never be open without pressure on the brake lines, either from the pedal or power pressure bleeder. This way, you'll never let additional air in.

I have personally bled the front brakes on my early bay by the book, THEN by bleeding at the rubber hose/upper cylinder junction like you're thinking, then by the book again. While I may be slacking in my star adjustment, the system is solid and free of air…

Robbie

Robbie. Thanks for the insight. I guess I was over thinking the whole thing.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay brake Q - Why is the bleeder screw on the lower cyl? Reply with quote

Aeromech, you're correct. I know the V-Dub Engineers were a very intelligent bunch of fellows but the logic escapes me as to why the one and only bleeder screw would be on the bottom cylinder. Unless, someone at some point in time, perhaps mounted a lower cylinder up top and vice versa which I doubt because all the photos I have seen show the bleeder screw on the bottom.

Robbie, that makes sense - after bleeding normally, give it another go by cracking the upper hose.

Can't be too difficult, right?? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: