Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

auto door lock snafu questions
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

Just got back from a 7k mile road trip with only a couple small issues a couple of days ago and suddenly the auto door lock is on the fritz. When I open the door with the key, it keeps trying to re-lock itself while the door is open. Also, neither the driver or the passenger side locks activate the other one. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

You have probably lost the ground wire to the lock in the driver door.

If the lock does not detect any door opening after FOB opening, it relocks the doors in the default software configuration.

Try this - unlock doors with FOB< don't open door, wait 30 seconds to see how this works
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

I dont have a FOB, just a key. What color is the ground wire so I can check that?
1984urq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

I have been through this in many ways on my EV
try spraying the door latch (inside the door) with brake clean then spraying with a liquid grease (I use "Wurth Film" sprays in, in a liquid form and dries to a grease like consistency)
Also make sure the door lock knob in the drivers door is not dropping when the door moves. The bezel the knob sits in has some very delicate plastic fingers which put the correct amount of tension on the knob to hold it up, when you pull it up. over time (220k) mine have worn out. I have taken electrical tape and wrapped one layer around the lock knob to increase the diameter so those plastic fingers are now back in contact with the lock knob.
Lastly look at your door wiring harness an make sure it is not damaged or seperated (the sheathing cracks and the wires rub making things not work properly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

elmoreman wrote:
When I open the door with the key, it keeps trying to re-lock itself while the door is open.

Assuming this is the driver's door you are describing, the lock actuator in the passenger door has failed.

I don't think electrickery works that way
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
elmoreman wrote:
When I open the door with the key, it keeps trying to re-lock itself while the door is open.

Assuming this is the driver's door you are describing, the lock actuator in the passenger door has failed.

maybe this will help. Ive been futzing with it for hours.
DD- Driver Door
PD- Passenger Door
SD- Sliding Door

If I unlock DD with key, I need to open it quickly otherwise it re-locks. IF I keep it open (meaning not shut), it continues to try to re-lock itself unless I reach over and unlock the PD, which then opens the PD and SD and stops the actuator in the DD.

If I unlock PD with key, PD and SD open with no effect on DD lock. However PD and SD will re-lock themselves immediately--they will not cycle like DD when it is opened with key.

Wires look OK in both doors. I dug in a little bit but not completely. I took apart the DD panel just to get a look at the thing too.

Here is the only variable between two days ago (everything worked fine) and today. HEAVY rain yesterday afternoon followed by some significant humidity. Perhaps something got into one of the actuators and corroded it?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

elmoreman wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
elmoreman wrote:

DD- Driver Door
PD- Passenger Door
SD- Sliding Door

If I unlock DD with key, I need to open it quickly otherwise it re-locks. IF I keep it open (meaning not shut), it continues to try to re-lock itself unless I reach over and unlock the PD, which then opens the PD and SD and stops the actuator in the DD.

Good information to add to the situation; that should help clarify things.

DD actuator motor works, but it is not sending the "unlock" signal to the other doors. When you unlock it, the actuator sees the "lock" signal being sent from the passenger door and it immediately tries to relock itself. The lock mechanism prevents the door from locking when it is open, so you continue to hear the actuator cycle itself, trying to lock the door...this ends either when you shut the door, or unlock the PD (in which case, the PD actuator sends the "unlock" signal, and the DD actuator stops trying to lock the door).

Quote:

If I unlock PD with key, PD and SD open with no effect on DD lock. However PD and SD will re-lock themselves immediately--they will not cycle like DD when it is opened with key.

PD actuator seems to be working properly if it is able to control the SD actuator. It seems like the DD is sending the "lock" signal and that causes the PD and SD to immediately relock (neither of these actuators will cycle, unlike the DD, because their latch mechanisms allow them to be locked while the door is open).

From this additional info, it sounds like the circuit within the DD actuator that receives/sends the "unlock" signal is not working. What happens if everything starts unlocked...will the DD actuator lock the PD and SD, and/or will the PD actuator lock the DD? (since the DD won't unlock the PD and SD, I'm assuming the PD will lock the SD just fine...)

You can remove the DD and PD actuators and check continuity across pairs of terminals while locking/unlocking the actuator manually. If the DD actuator doesn't show the same patterns of continuity as the PD actuator, then it likely has an internal failure of the circuit for unlocking the actuator. If they both show the same patterns of continuity, then the issue may be the wire harness in the DD (at the very least...).

I don't think electrickery works that way
elmoreman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
elmoreman wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
elmoreman wrote:

DD- Driver Door
PD- Passenger Door
SD- Sliding Door

Good information to add to the situation; that should help clarify things.

DD actuator motor works, but it is not sending the "unlock" signal to the other doors. When you unlock it, the actuator sees the "lock" signal being sent from the passenger door and it immediately tries to relock itself. The lock mechanism prevents the door from locking when it is open, so you continue to hear the actuator cycle itself, trying to lock the door...this ends either when you shut the door, or unlock the PD (in which case, the PD actuator sends the "unlock" signal, and the DD actuator stops trying to lock the door).

Quote:

PD actuator seems to be working properly if it is able to control the SD actuator. It seems like the DD is sending the "lock" signal and that causes the PD and SD to immediately relock (neither of these actuators will cycle, unlike the DD, because their latch mechanisms allow them to be locked while the door is open).

From this additional info, it sounds like the circuit within the DD actuator that receives/sends the "unlock" signal is not working. What happens if everything starts unlocked...will the DD actuator lock the PD and SD, and/or will the PD actuator lock the DD? (since the DD won't unlock the PD and SD, I'm assuming the PD will lock the SD just fine...)

You can remove the DD and PD actuators and check continuity across pairs of terminals while locking/unlocking the actuator manually. If the DD actuator doesn't show the same patterns of continuity as the PD actuator, then it likely has an internal failure of the circuit for unlocking the actuator. If they both show the same patterns of continuity, then the issue may be the wire harness in the DD (at the very least...).

If everything starts unlocked, both the DD and the PD will lock everything. It sounds like the gremlin is in the DD actuator, so I have simply unhooked it for now. The DD is locking/unlocking fine with the actuator unplugged, and the PD/SD are working fine together, independent of the now unplugged DD actuator.

So I can deal with this for now, but will try replacing the DD actuator. Seems like a good place to start. Thanks so much for your information and time. It is extremely helpful and educational!!
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

Interesting date to this post. My 2002 EVC just started doing the same thing in the middle of our 7k road trip this summer.

I've been looking into this and the first place I am going to look is in the door jamb wiring. I'm thinking this is where the problem is because the speaker in my driver door was also not working a while back (got that fixed by a stereo installer though so I never got to take a look at the wires inside the door jamb boot, I'm assuming they just ran a new speaker cable) Anyway, second gremlin that may be attributed to decaying wires in the door jamb boot. Time to investigate.

Also a good go westy article. Here is the link: http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=46

I'll update this when I have the time to get this done! Elmoreman, did you ever find a solution to your similar problem?
Addelliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

I have same power door lock issue. Have replaced the drivers side actuator. Still cycles similar to Elmorman’s described problem. Go Westy suggested ground wire issue. Wiring diagram simply states that ground wire is located behind left side of dash. Can anyone provide me a more specific location?
Thanks
Addelliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

Found lack of continuity in yellow wire driver side. New plan is to replace the driver side power door lock harness. Searches thus far have only full driver door harness with harness cut inside van. However I’ve noted a number of passenger side door harnesses available with both ends of the power door lock harness connectorized. Based on my visual it would appear that the power door lock harness is same driver and passenger, unless I’m missing something.
Looking for confirmation that they are indeed same. Thanks.
02Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: auto door lock snafu questions Reply with quote

The GoWesty article should be required reading.

We had the same symptoms. Replacing the door latch (not actuator) resolved it.
A little spring inside the latch seems to have been the culprit; there's a youtube someplace where someone actually replaces the spring (with a home-made one), but that seemed beyond our ability.

At our mechanic's suggestion, we replaced both latches. Bought them new from Latvia via ebay. (the pair appears to be out of stock at the moment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125504244024)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: