Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show your surfboards!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle Eye UAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

I bought a 10' surfboard from my neighbor last night he was a surfer. Considering a vw bug is 13ft in length give or take and the board is 10ft does anyone have pictures of a 10 footer on top of their bugs? I bought it for car show purposes since we are central us. If you have surfboard pictures on top of your bug(s) state the size of you boards please. Thank you all!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

I don't have a picture, but of course it can be done, since when these cars were new, and Bugs were popular with surfers, all we had were longboards!
Eagle Eye UAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

That is what I was thinking it is hard to find those picture on google images. I was looking for a couple of hours today.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

It's no 10 footer, and the racks have been updated, but this is what I rock.
It's a de-commissioned custom built sailboard, laced with carbon fibre. Apparently is was wicked fast when is was sea worthy, but it's become delaminated in the centre. Now it's just a nice hat on a pretty girl.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
It's a de-commissioned custom built sailboard, laced with carbon fibre. Apparently is was wicked fast when is was sea worthy, but it's become delaminated in the centre. Now it's just a nice hat on a pretty girl.

Your hat is on backwards!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

When I first started surfing in 1958 I had a 8'5" just like my mom's and sisters, my dad had a 10'0. When my dad started surfing in 1927 almost all the boards were over 10' and were solid redwood at sometimes over 100lbs. My dad and all his surfing buddies were or looked like muscle men-you had to just to get that board to the beach, let alone ride them , later in the 40's after the war we started getting balsa and did redwood balsa glue ups to save weight. Today my quiver is two 6'10" 's and a 7'11" for beach break, and for big waves over ten feet several guns of 7'8", 8'5", 8'11", and 9'3". All of the boards I have today ( except for a old Weber Ski ) were shaped before my friend Phil Becker retired. BTW on my 65 Beetle with the rear seat removed and the passenger seat forward I can get that 7'0 Weber inside the car diagonally just!
Eagle Eye UAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

bugs and boards have to be the coolest look possible thank you to the couple who have posted thus far really hoping to see quite a few more everyone!
Eagle Eye UAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

No surfers left on this planet pretty sad Crying or Very sad
skoshi surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Still have my 1967 Weber performer and G&S hot curl take them out when the waves are small both look great on the 63 rag top bug
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

i bought a "RAM" Brand longboard out of Neptune NJ off eBay from a guy in northwest NJ back in the early 2000's. It weighs a ton and im guessing is from the 60's or early 70's. Most likely not rideable as it has some dings and such. Can't find any info on it though.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Eagle Eye UAV wrote:

There’s plenty. But it sucks because sharks, reef, locals, mokes, you name it just don’t try it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Eagle Eye UAV wrote:

There’s plenty. But it sucks because sharks, reef, locals, mokes, you name it just don’t try it.

Where I am at, there are way too many surfers in the water now! TOO MANY SURFERS!!!!!! I remember when there were a few dozen guys lined up to take their turn for a wave. Now, you paddle out and hope you get a chance to get in the line up. Often times some young punk, just snakes in front and kills all the joy! I have given up riding waves on boards. I get in and body surf, or ride my boggie board. Let the young punks fight for the waves!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

According to your standards
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

QUESTION
Hey, Who Knows -- my friends have a long-running debate: when putting boards on racks (hard or soft) do you put the fins forward or backward? Or does it matter? I say backward, who's right?
Asked by Anonymous

ANSWER
Surfline editor and professional board strapper Marcus Sanders responds:

Personally, I always try to keep the boards inside the car whenever possible, but when they need to go up top, I'm a fins forward fan, and here's the most recent reason: a couple weeks back, while caravanning down the freeway with a buddy, I noticed his boards weren't tied down tightly enough and started to "lift" off the rack. There was at least an inch between the bottom of his boards and the rack, and the only think keeping 'em from slipping off into sure oblivion was -- you guessed it -- the fins. They had caught on the strap and halted the board's slipping backwards -- which is the reason most fins-forward folks give. Those who believe in the fins backward approach generally -- and rightly -- maintain that it's more aerodynamic, but it's doubtful that a fin cluster has a serious affect on gas mileage.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

If you look close, you'll see that the rear of this board tapers, and the strap goes around that taper, stopping any rearward movement.
For me, the fins-rear is purely an aesthetic choice. But I like knowing that it's unlikely to slip backwards and become a projectile.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
FullFender wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

QUESTION
Hey, Who Knows -- my friends have a long-running debate: when putting boards on racks (hard or soft) do you put the fins forward or backward? Or does it

matter? I say backward, who's right?
Asked by Anonymous

ANSWER
Surfline editor and professional board strapper Marcus Sanders responds:

Personally, I always try to keep the boards inside the car whenever possible, but when they need to go up top, I'm a fins forward fan, and here's the most recent reason: a couple weeks back, while caravanning down the freeway with a buddy, I noticed his boards weren't tied down tightly enough and started to "lift" off the rack. There was at least an inch between the bottom of his boards and the rack, and the only think keeping 'em from slipping off into sure oblivion was -- you guessed it -- the fins. They had caught on the strap and halted the board's slipping backwards -- which is the reason most fins-forward folks give. Those who believe in the fins backward approach generally -- and rightly -- maintain that it's more aerodynamic, but it's doubtful that a fin cluster has a serious affect on gas mileage.
I disagree, because one man failed to tie his board down doesnt mean much. Going on 3 years now with my board on the rack fins backwards with ZERO issues, because I secured it correctly. Enough of this though lets get back on topic
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
Eagle Eye UAV wrote:

Where I am at, there are way too many surfers in the water now! TOO MANY SURFERS!!!!!! I remember when there were a few dozen guys lined up to take their turn for a wave. Now, you paddle out and hope you get a chance to get in the line up. Often times some young punk, just snakes in front and kills all the joy! I have given up riding waves on boards. I get in and body surf, or ride my boggie board. Let the young punks fight for the waves!

Yeah it’s an olden days joke, let me put on my serious cap.
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

I have a 8' 7" Greg Noll Island Surf Center "Aipa Ski"
1968 Says Aipa in pencil on the stringer.

1968 Weber Strato Series Experimental transition board.

1977 Bradshaw Bolt

Few more classics too.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Show your surfboards! Reply with quote

G&S 9'10"

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: